• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2020 10:15 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 7, 2017
109 posts
39 upvotes

Paris - best area to stay?

I have stopover in Paris for 2 nights in Feb and looking for recommendations on where to book. It will be my first time visiting and since not staying too long thinking would want to stay in a touristy area close to the metro with plenty of cafes, restaurants and things to see. Planning on visiting the louvre and the eiffle tower on the full day i'm there and then just explore a little, hit some cafes and enjoy some good meals and wine. Since the weather is a little on the colder side - looking to minimize commuting in case its raining or a little unpleasant for my visit.

Right now think of either near the Louvre (1er district) or Marais (3/4eme district). But Opera seems like a decent option too.

appreciate any recos from anyone that has stayed in different spots.
25 replies
Jun 13, 2018
633 posts
470 upvotes
Montparnasse is nice, the Sorbonne district is very lively, really depends on what your hotel budget is. The metro will get you everywhere in very little time
[OP]
Jan 7, 2017
109 posts
39 upvotes
ritzcrv wrote: Montparnasse is nice, the Sorbonne district is very lively, really depends on what your hotel budget is. The metro will get you everywhere in very little time
Thanks will take a look.

Hotel budget is between $400-$600 cad all in. Was able to book the Westin Paris Vendôme - fully refundable - for $600 but seems like I may just be paying for the brand name based on reviews.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
What time of year? Some hotels suck balls for AC during summer. I had awsome stay at new budget etap hotel over 4 star crap old place with no AC.

Sorry, just saw feb. Personally I go for a well rated new etap hotel. That location is nice for what you have. But very expensive for a very very low time in paris.
Left rfd
Feb 14, 2008
99 posts
79 upvotes
Calgary
ranjeet2000 wrote: what is etap?
France's version of Motel 6. Basic rooms... usually very tiny.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4245 posts
2533 upvotes
Gotham
There is no best area to stay in Paris because each arrondissement has many points of interest. If you're only there two nights, you won't get that much in without being overwhelmed. Choose one thing per day and just enjoy the city.

I always stay in Le Marais when I am in Paris. It has easy access from/to the airport via RER (Notre Dame or Châtelet–Les Halles). It is walking to the Louvre, Eiffel tower is slightly farther but still walkable. Also nearby is Hôtel de Ville (city hall), Centre George's Pompidou (modern art museum), Châtelet–Les Halles (shopping and metro/RER) and Notre Dame cathedral (closed at the moment).
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
133 posts
271 upvotes
FrustratinglyFrugal wrote: I have stopover in Paris for 2 nights in Feb and looking for recommendations on where to book. It will be my first time visiting and since not staying too long thinking would want to stay in a touristy area close to the metro with plenty of cafes, restaurants and things to see. Planning on visiting the louvre and the eiffle tower on the full day i'm there and then just explore a little, hit some cafes and enjoy some good meals and wine. Since the weather is a little on the colder side - looking to minimize commuting in case its raining or a little unpleasant for my visit.

Right now think of either near the Louvre (1er district) or Marais (3/4eme district). But Opera seems like a decent option too.

appreciate any recos from anyone that has stayed in different spots.
Since it is your first time in Paris, I would highly recommend living around the Eiffel Tower. There are a few places with a great view of the Eiffel Tower around the 7e, 14e, 15e, and 16e arrondissements.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
Sorry, I meant Ibis. A little higher up than Etap.
Left rfd
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3612 posts
509 upvotes
After having been to Paris about 7 times now, that area around the Eiffel tower has never really warmed up to me. For me, the quintessential Parisian neighborhoods would be St Germain des Pres, Marais, Latin Quarter, Montmartre, and around Opera.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1762 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
I recommend Montparnasse as well. Especially near blvd Raspail or rue de Rennes areas. I’ve stayed a couple times at the Mercure Raspail which is nice, although the rooms are quite small and they became quite expensive as well. I stayed at the Hotel des académies et des arts last fall. It was nice as well and is a very small boutique hotel with just 20 rooms. Always worth checking each hotel’s own web site before booking as they are sometimes cheaper than via booking sites and may offer perks like free breakfast.

Montparnasse is great as it’s very local and lively. Lots of restaurants in the theatre district, shops on rue de Rennes and easy accessible to all other part of the city via bus or subway. There’s also a direct Air France bus from CDG to outside Montparnasse station.

I would avoid booking hotels right in the centre of Paris (near Louvre, for example). Too touristy and not much to do around except tourist places.
Celebrating 18+ years on RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6835 posts
733 upvotes
Toronto
Bunch of years ago I stayed at the Citadines République Paris in the 11th, right around the corner from Parmentier metro station.

Not sure what it's like now, but it was certainly a little out of the way of the major tourist areas of Paris, which I really enjoyed.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11132 posts
6151 upvotes
Markham
As long as you're close to a Metro station (on the main line is better) it doesn't really matter where you stay IMO as long as you feel safe and the hotel is relatively clean. You can save some big $ if you stay bit further out..use that money to eat perhaps.

I stayed at Best Western Plus 61 Nation - four star hotel (someone recommended it on some travel forum)...only a short 100 m walk to Metro Porte de Vincennes station on Line 1 (the main line). It's 20 min to Louvre. Feb rates are showing $130/nt
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2719 posts
1569 upvotes
I loved the area of Châtelet - Les Halles. Close to the train station that has access to the line to Versailles ect. lots of nice cafe's and bakeries. Was walking distance to the Louvre, Notre Dame ect. Booked an airbnb there for around $100 cad a night that was great.
Got that Zoomer account!
Aug 23, 2015
209 posts
127 upvotes
GTA
We love the Latin quarter. Metro yourself where you need to go. Note that strikers shut down the Louvre the other day. . .
The large print giveth, the small print taketh away