Automotive

Parked Car Got Hit, minor Damage. Report to cops?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2019 4:03 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1641 posts
437 upvotes
Woodbridge

Parked Car Got Hit, minor Damage. Report to cops?

My car was hit in a plaza while I was inside, slight damage to bumper. No witnesses, and cameras have no view of my parking spot. There’s no way I could tell who hit my car. Should I bother reporting this to the collision centre in Ontario? Damage doesn’t seem to be major, it’s under $2000 for sure.

Based on my research, the reason I should report it seem to be in case the other party comes and reports me saying I hit him/her.

I’m worried that this might affect the insurance
Last edited by whatsinaname on Jun 20th, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Feb 7, 2017
74 posts
68 upvotes
if you're deductible is $0 sure but you should have filed a police report right away. IMO sh** happens and expect cars to get beat up in a parking lot. Personally if the damage is purely cosmetic then I would not bother doing anything. Is the bumper steel or fibreglass? Might want to do a DIY if it's steel to make sure it doesn't rust up on you
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1641 posts
437 upvotes
Woodbridge
I meant reporting to collision centre. I’m not going to report to my insurance. My deductible is $1000 so no point in going through insurance
Sep 25, 2018
916 posts
1798 upvotes
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. You can report to the cops, they wouldn't do anything either.
May 27, 2011
457 posts
281 upvotes
NORTH YORK
The same situation happened to me couple years ago. I was on the hooked for the deductible.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7162 posts
3629 upvotes
West GTEH!
whatsinaname wrote: My car was hit in a plaza while I was inside, slight damage to bumper. No witnesses, and cameras have no view of my parking spot. There’s no way I could tell who hit my car. Should I bother reporting this to the collision centre in Ontario? Damage doesn’t seem to be major, it’s under $2000 for sure.

Based on my research, the reason I should report it seem to be in case the other party comes and reports me saying I hit him/her.

I’m worried that this might affect the insurance
Sorry to hear about the hit & run in the Plaza. Sometimes crap like this happens.

If you think the other Driver might go after you for damages, then report to Collision Center and Police, just in case.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6290 posts
3794 upvotes
Toronto
Police at collision centre won't do anything when damage is under $2000
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2677 posts
1235 upvotes
Toronto
whatsinaname wrote: Based on my research, the reason I should report it seem to be in case the other party comes and reports me saying I hit him/her.
peteryorkuca wrote: Police at collision centre won't do anything when damage is under $2000
The OP just wants to know if he/she should have the report on file just in case something happens in the future.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6290 posts
3794 upvotes
Toronto
ds2chan wrote: The OP just wants to know if he/she should have the report on file just in case something happens in the future.
All he can do is call his insurance. Police won't do anything. I tried. Maybe they changed since last year.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2008
1038 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
happened to me at a school's parking lot. got side swiped which i assumed the car went front end. cctv cameras didn't help and the security at the school said to **** off. asked my insurance if they can do anything, they say you can try to report it but probably won't be able to do anything. ended up paying the repairs out of my pocket.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1641 posts
437 upvotes
Woodbridge
Thanks for the replies.

Just an update: went to the centre, and told them what happened. I said I didn’t want to go through insurance, just want to protect myself in case someone comes and blames me. Officer was helpful, gave me his contact information and date and time I was there.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3807 posts
3836 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The collision centre might report it to your insurance company so the ding is on your record anyway. Unless you want to go through insurance for repairs no point going to the collision centre...

Was reading through the last RFD thread on the same question: reporting-collision-center-after-accide ... e-1044652/