• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 6:58 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2520 posts
724 upvotes

Parking car in Garage during Winter

Are there some sort of floor matts available where you can park your car on in the garage to hold all the snow and water so that it doesn't leave a puddle of mess when the snow melts? Please link some if you know of any.

Thanks!

Phat_cow
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6065 posts
3145 upvotes
Mississauga
One thing I try to do is knock/kick off the snow chunks in the wheel wells before parking in the garage. That seems to stop 90% of the puddling on the garage floor.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44933 posts
5513 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Your garage floor should be sloped such that water will flow outside through any small gaps between the floor and the door. I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36046 posts
10145 upvotes
Ottawa
A long handles squeegee...no matter what you lay down.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Feb 28, 2018
149 posts
97 upvotes
Waterloo region
Jon Lai wrote: Your garage floor should be sloped such that water will flow outside through any small gaps between the floor and the door. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

The draw back with that ( I’ve found ) is that the rubber door seal gets frozen to the floor...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4573 upvotes
Alberta
mrweather wrote: One thing I try to do is knock/kick off the snow chunks in the wheel wells before parking in the garage. That seems to stop 90% of the puddling on the garage floor.
This^^^^^. And I squeegee any water outside.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1606 posts
1298 upvotes
Get a drain in your garage. End of the story. Lots of work if you DIY (can be expensive if you pay to have someone do it) but you will enjoy it tremendously for as long as you will live there.

And keep a dehumidifier in the garage.
Mistakes are learning opportunities. Not the expression of failure.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11655 posts
8092 upvotes
GTA, ON
tralexus1 wrote: The draw back with that ( I’ve found ) is that the rubber door seal gets frozen to the floor...
In the decades I've lived in houses with garages, I have never seen the garage door freeze to the floor where it can't open.

Maybe try adjusting the door opener on the unit so that the seal isn't so tight.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Feb 27, 2007
390 posts
211 upvotes
chimaican wrote: In the decades I've lived in houses with garages, I have never seen the garage door freeze to the floor where it can't open.

Maybe try adjusting the door opener on the unit so that the seal isn't so tight.
I have - the easiest solution is to spray the seal with silicone spray.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1344 posts
475 upvotes
Ontario
I have been shop vacing our garage. Water pools in centre,does not flow to door (less than 1 year old build)
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3582 posts
678 upvotes
riffr aff wrote: I have been shop vacing our garage. Water pools in centre,does not flow to door (less than 1 year old build)
CONDITION
WATER ACCUMULATES ON GARAGE FLOOR

Acceptable Performance/Condition
Provided garage floors are sloped to drain to the exterior, localized variations in the surface of the floor may impede immediate drainage and are acceptable.

Warranty
One-Year - Work and Materials
One-Year - Ontario Building Code Violations

Action
Garage floors not meeting the acceptable condition shall be repaired.

Remarks
Closed overhead garage doors, stored materials and debris on the floor may impede drainage to the exterior. Winter conditions may also impede drainage and homeowner
should ensure proper maintenance by removing any slush or snow that falls from vehicles.

See page 279 of 304 https://www.tarion.com/sites/default/fi ... 1_2019.pdf
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1344 posts
475 upvotes
Ontario
poorwingman wrote: 14.6
CONDITION

Provided garage floors are sloped to drain to the exterior, localized variations in the surface of the floor may impede immediate drainage and are acceptable.

Warranty

Action

Remarks
Closed overhead garage doors, stored materials and debris on the floor may impede drainage to the exterior. Winter conditions may also impede drainage and homeowner
should ensure proper maintenance by removing any slush or snow that falls from vehicles.

I have read this and planned to include on our year end form. The last line about removing snow slush seems to be a grey area tho. Of course in Canada that stuff will melt and drip, but is the defect still valid? I suppose it is. If I spilled a bucket of water and it does not drain toward sloped door the defect is proven.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36046 posts
10145 upvotes
Ottawa
poorwingman wrote: 14.6
CONDITION

Warranty

Action

Remarks

Not sure if Tarion is even in effect anymore. The Government says it will be overhauled so, there is probably no one working there anymore :) Besides, Tarion was for builders, not home buyers.
https://news.ontario.ca/mgs/en/2019/12/ ... ogram.html
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1560 posts
268 upvotes
A 10.00 squeegee works for me, but it sure would be nice to have a drain and that the floor wouldn't drain towards the corner.
Feb 28, 2018
149 posts
97 upvotes
Waterloo region
chimaican wrote: In the decades I've lived in houses with garages, I have never seen the garage door freeze to the floor where it can't open.

The door did open but it pulled the door seal partly off the door...
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1606 posts
1298 upvotes
rotjong wrote: A 10.00 squeegee works for me, but it sure would be nice to have a drain and that the floor wouldn't drain towards the corner.
When I had my house built I told the builder to do a drain (obviously as well as a small trench) in the floor so all the water from the melting snow (and even the rain in summer) ends up in the drain.

My dad didn't have such drain so I made one for him. Rented tools at HD. It is a little bit of work but nothing too bad. Just make sure you wear appropriate breathing protection as you would prefer not to breather concrete dust. Proper eyes protection too Having a drain in the garage is simply fantastic! :)

It also makes cleaning the garage floor so much easier.
Mistakes are learning opportunities. Not the expression of failure.
Dec 2, 2006
306 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
TomLafinsky wrote: When I had my house built I told the builder to do a drain (obviously as well as a small trench) in the floor so all the water from the melting snow (and even the rain in summer) ends up in the drain.

My dad didn't have such drain so I made one for him. Rented tools at HD. It is a little bit of work but nothing too bad. Just make sure you wear appropriate breathing protection as you would prefer not to breather concrete dust. Proper eyes protection too Having a drain in the garage is simply fantastic! :)

It also makes cleaning the garage floor so much easier.
Do you have more details on what you did ? I'm very interested in doing this. Do you let the water drain into the gravel under the slab or did you run an actual drain? Did you do a trench drain across the entire width?

Thanks!