parking lot accident on feeder lane

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2020 11:37 pm
[OP]
Feb 11, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote

parking lot accident on feeder lane

I had an accident in parking lot 3 weeks ago. i was on feeder lane and waiting to let cars from opposite direction to pass , before turning left to park. While I was waiting on feeder lane, the driver from my right backed out of parking space and hit my passenger side. Will this be 50/50 fault? He is saying it 50/50 and ignoring to fix my car. I checked with different body shops and damage is about $ 1000 to $ 1500. Should I report to insurance?
My car is more than 12 years old.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18119 posts
9175 upvotes
The person who is backing up will almost always be at fault for hitting a stationary car or a car in motion. The "always 50-50 in a parking lot" is a myth.

File a police report - if your damage is $1000-1500 then you likely meet the threshold for your province. Then contact your insurance company and go through there. Your rates will not rise as you are not deemed at fault.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
The person reversing is entirely at fault.

Go to the collision centre, and file a claim.

I hope you got the other driver's information.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
I have other driver info and taken photos. It was rainy day.
But now that drivers is saying, " he will lie to insurance .and it is always 50/50. "
That is what worries me. And if insurance can write off my car.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
TrevorK wrote: The person who is backing up will almost always be at fault for hitting a stationary car or a car in motion. The "always 50-50 in a parking lot" is a myth.

File a police report - if your damage is $1000-1500 then you likely meet the threshold for your province. Then contact your insurance company and go through there. Your rates will not rise as you are not deemed at fault.
Thanks.
In Ontario limit is $2000. I went to police and it is unreportable accident. They did not do report.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3669 posts
807 upvotes
Since you have the pictures, the damage will be obvious they backed into you... go through your insurance.. 50/50 as people said is a myth unless you don’t have proof and damage is not obvious
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17007 posts
12408 upvotes
Toronto
The others are correct.

Third party is 100% at fault as he’s backing up.

Unless he lies by saying you drove into him sideways, he’s screwed
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1087 posts
487 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Engi-Nir wrote: Since you have the pictures, the damage will be obvious they backed into you... go through your insurance.. 50/50 as people said is a myth unless you don’t have proof and damage is not obvious
Or OP hit him on the rear side. Hope OP has dash cam or there are camera around.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4130 posts
4355 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Can't do anything if he's willing to lie through his teeth and you have no proof.. Get a dashcam.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11404 posts
5766 upvotes
Vaughan
OP, assuming you have photos of the scene (i.e. the other person's vehicle partially out of parking spot and hitting your vehicle, there is nothing to worry about whether they want to lie or not.

You should contact them and say if he wants to lie and commit insurance fraud and then get cancelled and have no insurance company offer to insure him, then go right ahead. Say you recorded the previous call and will report to his insurance company. :)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50524 posts
14875 upvotes
ONTARIO
Engi-Nir wrote: Since you have the pictures, the damage will be obvious they backed into you... go through your insurance.. 50/50 as people said is a myth unless you don’t have proof and damage is not obvious
What if he says “he rear ended me. That damage on his car was from a previous accident”?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17287 posts
15088 upvotes
GTA, ON
kooroshkabir wrote: Or OP hit him on the rear side. Hope OP has dash cam or there are camera around.
Depends on where the damage is. If OPs damage is on either of the doors, and not quarter panel, then other party is lying. OPs car can't drive sideways.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Feb 11, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
chimaican wrote: Depends on where the damage is. If OPs damage is on either of the doors, and not quarter panel, then other party is lying. OPs car can't drive sideways.
Thanks,
it hit on the fender of the passenger side wheel.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17287 posts
15088 upvotes
GTA, ON
canred wrote: Thanks,
it hit on the fender of the passenger side wheel.
Hope you got a dash cam.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Feb 11, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
Thanks,
After hitting my car he moved his car forward in the parking space. In photos his car does not seem partially out of parking spot.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11178 posts
4438 upvotes
OP if you took those pictures immediately after the accident and before moving your vehicle then should be good otherwise a little tricky with your word against his.

...just saw your post above...if it clearly shows the other car in a spot and your in the feeder still might be ok just tell your insurance he drove back in after hitting me
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4015 posts
3880 upvotes
Toronto
This is why I record all calls when I'm in a situation like this, would have caught him right then and there I would have let him lie then provide my insurance with the recording. You can still try to get it over a phone call or text.

You could bluff like someone mentioned he is willing to commit insurance fraud your lie is just calling his bluff.

I think you're in a safe position even if you were in motion it sounds like the damage is in an area that will reflect the truth.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6701 posts
6295 upvotes
There might be security cameras in the parking lot - check with the management company.

I would also considering calling him again, record the conversation and get him to say he'd like. Perhaps also text/email - he might be dumb enough to say it writing.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13466 posts
4363 upvotes
If you have a photo of his damage and your photo. No way that you hit him. Obviously. Take the guy to the cleaners and make him pay. Hate these careless people who think they do no wrong and lie.
Apr 28, 2013
327 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
Just call your insurance, you won't be at fault. They likely won't even care about the other drivers information.