• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2021 3:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 12, 2021
9 posts
1 upvote

Parking my car in my boulevard

Hello everyone, I have a concern, I bought a townhouse in Richmond hill, my driveway has only one parking spot, I own 3 cars. I wanted to park one car in the garage, one in the driveway, and I want to park another car in the boulevard. Part of the boulevard is with grass obviously, I wanted to remove the grass and do interlocking, and then just park my car in a parallel way to my house. I wanted to know if that is legal, and if not, what other solution do I have?
Attached a picture that explains my story.

Thank you all in advance.
Images
  • 2114E70F-352D-40AB-B2FB-C528BC146ECA.jpeg
120 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18617 upvotes
Oakville
No.

You didn't say where you live, but you typically cannot park on your boulevard, even on your driveway. Paving your boulevard is also typically allowed, as it's city property. Now, most people get away with parking on their driveway boulevard, but if you pave the grass and try to park there, your neighbours will probably report you.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12443 posts
8959 upvotes
Edmonton
Etgarbaksis wrote: Hello everyone, I have a concern, I bought a townhouse in Richmond hill, my driveway has only one parking spot, I own 3 cars. I wanted to park one car in the garage, one in the driveway, and I want to park another car in the boulevard. Part of the boulevard is with grass obviously, I wanted to remove the grass and do interlocking, and then just park my car in a parallel way to my house. I wanted to know if that is legal, and if not, what other solution do I have?

The problem with your theory is in the title to your post. It's not "your boulevard". That's city property. And so no, you can't park there.

Your solution is to get rid of one of your cars, get smaller cars, or consider the fines as a "parking charge".

C
[OP]
Apr 12, 2021
9 posts
1 upvote
Sorry, the city boulevard.
You guys are right.
I am not sure about the neighbors, they look okay, but don’t know if they are good or bad neighbors, will obviously be nice to them.
Still, can I remove the grass and put interlocking on the boulevard?
Also, if my neighbors are nice, and they won’t complain, any chance I’ll be still fined?
Sep 25, 2018
855 posts
1576 upvotes
Etgarbaksis wrote: Still, can I remove the grass and put interlocking on the boulevard?
No you cannot. As someone already stated, it is not your property, it is the city's. Better just leave it alone.
Etgarbaksis wrote: Also, if my neighbors are nice, and they won’t complain, any chance I’ll be still fined?
Sometimes the parking enforcement officers drive around town to issue tickets, so you are at their mercy.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29648 posts
15476 upvotes
Toronto
Etgarbaksis wrote: Sorry, the city boulevard.
You guys are right.
I am not sure about the neighbors, they look okay, but don’t know if they are good or bad neighbors, will obviously be nice to them.
Also, if my neighbors are nice, and they won’t complain, any chance I’ll be still fined?
You need to apply for permit to make changes . It’s likely your application will be rejected. If you just go ahead and do it without approval, the city will take legal action on you.

Like the other poster has said, sell 1 car.
[OP]
Apr 12, 2021
9 posts
1 upvote
Thank you for your reply.
And what about parking my card that way?
My bumpers will probably be out of the apron but my wheels will still be in the apron.
Images
  • A07C7A4F-256E-4558-B571-27E29BC9641C.jpeg
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18617 upvotes
Oakville
Etgarbaksis wrote: Sorry, the city boulevard.
You guys are right.
You can still get fined even without complaints. If do what you do, it will be obvious, and you'd have to pay to put the grass back.

Also, if your neighbours are nice, then they should complain, otherwise everyone will do what you want to do, and your street will look ghetto and devalue the houses.
I feel for you having a single lane driveway, but I made sure to buy a house with a double garage/driveway.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5364 posts
4433 upvotes
Etgarbaksis wrote: Hello everyone, I have a concern, I bought a townhouse in Richmond hill, my driveway has only one parking spot, I own 3 cars. I wanted to park one car in the garage, one in the driveway, and I want to park another car in the boulevard. Part of the boulevard is with grass obviously, I wanted to remove the grass and do interlocking, and then just park my car in a parallel way to my house. I wanted to know if that is legal, and if not, what other solution do I have?

no..boulevard is owned by the city and there's utilities/pipes/wires under there.

you can park your shortest car in boulevard and have the front/back hang out... it's not pretty but usually if your tires are within the apron and sidewalk isn't substantially blocked, you should be ok with regards to tickets
[OP]
Apr 12, 2021
9 posts
1 upvote
That is an example, I have seen someone does that in the same neighborhood.
Images
  • E4C94589-0A1A-43B2-BAC6-D73E3D19313E.png
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29648 posts
15476 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe this guy has a stack of unpaid tickets in his glove compartment Winking Face
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16743 posts
15190 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Etgarbaksis wrote: That is an example, I have seen someone does that in the same neighborhood.
If your tires touch the sidewalk or road, expect a ticket.
[OP]
Apr 12, 2021
9 posts
1 upvote
My car is a small SUV, tires shouldn’t touch the road or sidewalk.
What will happen in the winter? Any idea?
[OP]
Apr 12, 2021
9 posts
1 upvote
booblehead wrote: Maybe this guy has a stack of unpaid tickets in his glove compartment Winking Face
🤣 I hope not from this parking spot. , but I am trying to avoid that too! Just don’t want to get rid of my fun car, and still need my work car! Tried to tell my wife to take a bus, she wanted to kill me.
Last edited by Etgarbaksis on Apr 13th, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12443 posts
8959 upvotes
Edmonton
Etgarbaksis wrote: Thank you for your reply.
And what about parking my card that way?
My bumpers will probably be out of the apron but my wheels will still be in the apron.
I would say you definitely do NOT want to be blocking the sidewalk at all. That will piss off the dog and stroller walkers, which will lead to complaints, which is how you get tickets.

C
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29648 posts
15476 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like you are extremely persistent in doing this regardless of what we have said.
[OP]
Apr 12, 2021
9 posts
1 upvote
booblehead wrote: Sounds like you are extremely persistent in doing this regardless of what we have said.
I don’t see how I have a choice, will have to try.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35744 posts
21855 upvotes
Center of Universe
Looks trashy... should be an automatic tow.