Students

Parking near Saddledome?

25 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16639 posts
4370 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
greenlief wrote:I haven't really scouted out any locations, but is there anywhere I could park down there for free? I was thinking maybe some side road somewhere, but I haven't had my license until now so it hasn't been a concern yet.
You and 1000000000000000000000000000000000000 others have thought about that.

Its not possible in DT.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23256 posts
5052 upvotes
Toronto
actually when I attended UofT St.George, they had free parking behind Sidney Smith/the Hangar. Near the intersection of the Earth Sciences building, near the AC.

Is it still free parking there ? You could only park after a certain time in the morning but most people came early, sat in their cars and waited.

Give that a try.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
566 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:actually when I attended UofT St.George, they had free parking behind Sidney Smith/the Hangar. Near the intersection of the Earth Sciences building, near the AC.

Is it still free parking there ? You could only park after a certain time in the morning but most people came early, sat in their cars and waited.

Give that a try.
nope..its all metered now...

its pay parking on the street and since there is always filming on the street, its hard to find a spot.

the only "free" parking is the street north of harboard on north side of Robarts. but its only 1hr limit.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
1359 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote:nope..its all metered now...

its pay parking on the street and since there is always filming on the street, its hard to find a spot.

the only "free" parking is the street north of harboard on north side of Robarts. but its only 1hr limit.
What are they filming now?
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
566 upvotes
f00kie wrote:What are they filming now?
i dont know..but there's filming year round
Aug 11, 2005
633 posts
4 upvotes
There's free parking behind Innis Residence on St. George street. Park your car and ask for parking permit. Maximum is 30 minutes but the front desk people hardly care about the cars parked so you can leave it there as long as you want. (As far as my experiences go) Is it worth it? Probably not, as it will get ticketed/towed sooner or later.
Feb 14, 2005
805 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
bananaman wrote:There's free parking behind Innis Residence on St. George street. Park your car and ask for parking permit. Maximum is 30 minutes but the front desk people hardly care about the cars parked so you can leave it there as long as you want. (As far as my experiences go) Is it worth it? Probably not, as it will get ticketed/towed sooner or later.

You ass... thats my spot... :lol: Shhhhhh....

They changed the policy a bit now.... you gotta leave your driver's license. But still, you should be visiting someone who lives there or you should be a resident there to begin with.

On campus there's really no free place to park. Those parking enforcement show up at exactly the 2hr mark, catching those who are just going over by 1 minute cause they can't leave their 3hr lectures to pay for parking.... argh.... :evil:

I've never tried this myself, so YMMV. There's a Dominions at spadina and bloor where there is parking, or there's 666 spadina, the apartment building, but whether you get towed is your own problem. Both lots are pretty far if you gotta walk to UC or something on the east side, but its alright i guess if you go to ES or SS. Hey.... its free.... until you get towed...
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
weedb0y wrote:You and 1000000000000000000000000000000000000 others have thought about that.

Its not possible in DT.
The OP should read the threads that contain all the complaints about the gas prices. The downtown campus is the most accessible school by transit I've ever seen/visited. I don't know where the OP is commuting from, but TTC (with perhaps the addition of GO Transit) is better. Traffic into and out of the downtown core is a nightmare. Its tough to find a metered spot, and if you do, you have to be available to feed the meter every 2 hours because as the above poster said, the parking officers are there to drill your behind all the time. For places to park the entire day, be prepared to pay $14 (and gas money).
Aug 11, 2005
633 posts
4 upvotes
Hmm. There's parking spots at U of T that takes 5 dollars for all day parking. ie) Rotman's, Hart House, parking lot on Devonshire.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
bananaman wrote:Hmm. There's parking spots at U of T that takes 5 dollars for all day parking. ie) Rotman's, Hart House, parking lot on Devonshire.
that's for after 5PM and weekends
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
566 upvotes
m77m7 wrote:The OP should read the threads that contain all the complaints about the gas prices. The downtown campus is the most accessible school by transit I've ever seen/visited. I don't know where the OP is commuting from, but TTC (with perhaps the addition of GO Transit) is better. Traffic into and out of the downtown core is a nightmare. Its tough to find a metered spot, and if you do, you have to be available to feed the meter every 2 hours because as the above poster said, the parking officers are there to drill your behind all the time. For places to park the entire day, be prepared to pay $14 (and gas money).
if OP is within TTC service boundaries, then it might be better choice to take transit. but if OP lives outside of TTC, it takes longer than rush hour traffic to get down there on transit, not to mention the unpleasant trip on the TTC (Yuck)
and Go Bus.

hopefully the OP can find someone to car pool and split the cost of parking pass (115 a month?)

i carpooled when i went to UT St.George, way better than transit.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
I disagree, if the OP (or any student) goes to campus and leaves campus during the morning and afternoon rush, then TTC and Go transit is roughly the same in time to driving. This of course depends on how often the GO transit route he/she takes runs (trains run during the rush). I commuted to/from St.Geo from Mississauga for years and took transit when I knew I would be commuting during rush hour. Its much better than paying for gas (esp with the prices now) and risk getting in a collision driving back. The crazy drivers come out during the rush hour and if you've been in a collision before regardless if it was your fault or not, its a huge headache.

With so many different schedules, finding a carpool buddy is tough, but if you can find one.. its a great idea.
gilboman wrote:if OP is within TTC service boundaries, then it might be better choice to take transit. but if OP lives outside of TTC, it takes longer than rush hour traffic to get down there on transit, not to mention the unpleasant trip on the TTC (Yuck)
and Go Bus.

hopefully the OP can find someone to car pool and split the cost of parking pass (115 a month?)

i carpooled when i went to UT St.George, way better than transit.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
566 upvotes
m77m7 wrote:I disagree, if the OP (or any student) goes to campus and leaves campus during the morning and afternoon rush, then TTC and Go transit is roughly the same in time to driving. This of course depends on how often the GO transit route he/she takes runs (trains run during the rush). I commuted to/from St.Geo from Mississauga for years and took transit when I knew I would be commuting during rush hour. Its much better than paying for gas (esp with the prices now) and risk getting in a collision driving back. The crazy drivers come out during the rush hour and if you've been in a collision before regardless if it was your fault or not, its a huge headache.

With so many different schedules, finding a carpool buddy is tough, but if you can find one.. its a great idea.
thing is, earliest courses start at UT downtown is 9am with many starting past that time so you avoid the biggest rush hour. I lived in Richmond Hill and to get to UT downtown, i would've had to take YRT, then go Bus then TTC. even when i drove to Go station and bypassed the YRT, it took way longer than driving down.

e.g. it takes around 50min to get down to UT by 10am from R.Hill, taking YRT-Go Bus-TTC takes 1hr 45min on crowded dirty buses/subways.

repeat when you get off school.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
Ya, when I mentioned Go transit + TTC, I meant driving to the GO. I think our difference of opinion comes from the fact that GO transit to me is a *train*, and a bus to you. It bypasses the rush hour traffic. Thats where the time savings comes from. There is a Richmond Hill Go train line, is that too far? The DVP during the rush is the biggest nightmare.
gilboman wrote:thing is, earliest courses start at UT downtown is 9am with many starting past that time so you avoid the biggest rush hour. I lived in Richmond Hill and to get to UT downtown, i would've had to take YRT, then go Bus then TTC. even when i drove to Go station and bypassed the YRT, it took way longer than driving down.

e.g. it takes around 50min to get down to UT by 10am from R.Hill, taking YRT-Go Bus-TTC takes 1hr 45min on crowded dirty buses/subways.

repeat when you get off school.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
566 upvotes
m77m7 wrote:Ya, when I mentioned Go transit + TTC, I meant driving to the GO. I think our difference of opinion comes from the fact that GO transit to me is a *train*, and a bus to you. It bypasses the rush hour traffic. Thats where the time savings comes from. There is a Richmond Hill Go train line, is that too far? The DVP during the rush is the biggest nightmare.
the problem with Go Train service in R.Hill and Go train in general is that there are very few trains, only during morning rush and afternoon rush. if you need to get to school or off out of those times, you are outta luck.

the Go Train atleast in R.Hill makes sense only if you have 9-5 school schedule on every school day which rarely if ever happens.

if i dont take the Go Train, basically i needed to take Go BUS (Assuming i drove to go bus station) that go down either yonge or bayview which are always crowded to Finch and take TTC down.

it was horrible. :|
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
7799 posts
1632 upvotes
Ottawa
i always see the dam parking pricks around campus looking for potential victims
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
Yup I hear ya. To add insult to injury, they have jacked the prices of the TTC and Go Transit over the years.
gilboman wrote: if i dont take the Go Train, basically i needed to take Go BUS (Assuming i drove to go bus station) that go down either yonge or bayview which are always crowded to Finch and take TTC down.

it was horrible. :|
Aug 11, 2005
633 posts
4 upvotes
They jacked the prices immensely. Go Transit ticket from Yorkdale to Bramalea is over 5 dollars + 1 ttc token. This is one way only. Going home would cost over $15 dollars a day. That's an expensive commute if you ask me.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4138 posts
195 upvotes
Etobicoke
There *is* real (not metered) free parking close to St.George/College - very few spots, very hard to find, and they get filled very very quickly.
Ebay (701-0-0) - zhenya01
Heatware (28-0-0) - ViperZ
CanuckAudioMart (80-0-0) - zhenya01