Parking overnight in Mississauga Problem

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2016 2:46 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1219 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: Getting rid of a car is an option - there is always an alternative (realistic or not). If you don't want to get rid of a car, then buy a home with the appropriate number of parking spots. It's that simple. But to expect to own more cars than the number of parking spots your home has, and then expect options to accommodate your extra vehicles? That is what's funny!

I should be able to buy two tickets to an event, and expect to be able to have three people in total. Yeah funny! And no chance!
Maybe OP is renting to save money for a down payment, or maybe OP doesn't need a big house for two people and prefers the condo lifestyle. Some condos allow you to purchase additional parking spots but some don't, unfortunately. Regardless, you make it sound like buying a house is that easy, especially in the GTA.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8140 posts
2846 upvotes
Mississauga
Jenuine wrote: Maybe OP is renting to save money for a down payment, or maybe OP doesn't need a big house for two people and prefers the condo lifestyle. Some condos allow you to purchase additional parking spots but some don't, unfortunately. Regardless, you make it sound like buying a house is that easy, especially in the GTA.
Nobody said buying a house is easy. But buying a car shouldn't be easy as well, if you don't have the parking spot for it to begin with. You make it sound like people are entitled to do as they wish and not have to deal with repercussions. Unfortunately, there are repercussions with every decision you make. If you feel you "have" to have two cars and only have one parking spot, guess what - you're going to have to deal with the headache that comes with that. That's a choice you make - not a situation that you "have" to be in, just because you feel you "have" to have a second vehicle. Nobody forced that second vehicle upon the OP, and OP should have considered the parking obstacle prior to obtaining a second vehicle.

All I did was provide options to address the predicament that they OP is in. Whether they are realistic or not to someone depends on the person and their sense of entitlement with respect to what they have to have.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1219 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: Nobody said buying a house is easy. But buying a car shouldn't be easy as well, if you don't have the parking spot for it to begin with. You make it sound like people are entitled to do as they wish and not have to deal with repercussions. Unfortunately, there are repercussions with every decision you make. If you feel you "have" to have two cars and only have one parking spot, guess what - you're going to have to deal with the headache that comes with that. That's a choice you make - not a situation that you "have" to be in, just because you feel you "have" to have a second vehicle. Nobody forced that second vehicle upon the OP, and OP should have considered the parking obstacle prior to obtaining a second vehicle.
So if you needed your car to get to work but you're still figuring out how to get a second parking spot, are you just supposed to quit your job and not work? This is assuming transit isn't an option, most of the time it isn't because our transit system sucks.

I would still buy the car and then figure out a solution after if I need it for work. OP is here asking for solutions and you come here and tell him to get rid of a car or buy a house... stupid comments because I'm sure OP has already thought about that.

Anyway... like others have said, rent a spot from someone in the area. If they have a spot they aren't using, I'm sure they'd be happy to make extra $$ every month for it.
Jan 30, 2014
263 posts
24 upvotes
Ontario
Step 1. Buy a fake hydrant
Step 2. Located and empty spot before you leave
Step 3. Place fake hydrant on the sidewalk next to the empty spot
Step 4. Park there when you come back home
Step 5. Look around to see if anybody is looking, then remove hydrant and place it on the trunk of your car

Or.... Just park your car on an empty spot and leave it there. Start taking public transit afterwards or use the your other cars that do have a secured parking spot.
Nov 29, 2001
179 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi All.

If you genuinely think residents are struggling in your area, then go to the City and ask them to amend the by-law governing your street. This is not a joke. There is a process to alter the street signs. Convert it from 3 hours to 15 hour parking. You need to get signatures of people from homeowners in the neighborhood and some paperwork. Call the city and inquire.

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8515 posts
2299 upvotes
Mississauga
Shim876 wrote: I live in a building which does not have any parking for my unit; there is a street which we can park our car there, but it is usually filled quickly at nights and we need to spend lots of time to find a spot to park our car at nights if we are not early. I would like to know what is my options? I parked my car in front of our buildings ovenight and was finned $45. Is there any better solution? I live on east of Mississauga.

Thanks
Not sure what part of Mississauga you live in but is there any houses close to your condo? Have a drive around close to your condo and see if there are any houses that have a bigger driveway and see if there willing to rent you a spot.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2638 posts
910 upvotes
kenchau wrote: Nobody said buying a house is easy. But buying a car shouldn't be easy as well, if you don't have the parking spot for it to begin with. You make it sound like people are entitled to do as they wish and not have to deal with repercussions. Unfortunately, there are repercussions with every decision you make. If you feel you "have" to have two cars and only have one parking spot, guess what - you're going to have to deal with the headache that comes with that. That's a choice you make - not a situation that you "have" to be in, just because you feel you "have" to have a second vehicle. Nobody forced that second vehicle upon the OP, and OP should have considered the parking obstacle prior to obtaining a second vehicle.

All I did was provide options to address the predicament that they OP is in. Whether they are realistic or not to someone depends on the person and their sense of entitlement with respect to what they have to have.
I have to agree. People have to think through their options before they make a decision to either buy a car or move somewhere. OP should have known that they both needed to drive at some point in time for work, which means they would need two spots. If the building didn't have an option to rent or buy a second spot, the should have bought/rented elsewhere.

Your best bet is to what others are saying about asking home owners nearby with big driveways to see if you can rent a spot on their driveway. You'll probably have to offer a good decent amount though, otherwise very few people would be willing to deal with that inconvenience.

Good luck, and plan better in the future!
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1707 posts
449 upvotes
lol at selling condos without parking !
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8515 posts
2299 upvotes
Mississauga
Shim876 wrote: They offer paring, but they are all taken. Even I have a parking spot, but we have two cars...
shawn01 wrote: lol at selling condos without parking !
He bought the condo with one parking spot but now needs two parking spots.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11407 posts
1996 upvotes
Toronto
Move or get rid of car.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)