Home & Garden

Parking Pad: Interlocking or Interlocking + Asphalt?

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2015 9:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 16, 2003
26 posts

Parking Pad: Interlocking or Interlocking + Asphalt?

Hello,
I’ve got a 300 sq foot parking pad that is just gravel right now located in the East Side of Toronto.
Looking to get it dug out and install interlocking, or interlocking and asphalt.

I’ve seen the ‘interlocking + asphalt’ combo on high end houses that have huge driveways, but wondering if there is a reason to do this on a small parking pad.

Is there a cost advantage or disadvantage to either or?
I’d like all interlocking, but wonder if it costs a significant amount more?

Any advice would be great.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
MarkSwi wrote: Hello,
I’ve got a 300 sq foot parking pad that is just gravel right now located in the East Side of Toronto.
Looking to get it dug out and install interlocking, or interlocking and asphalt.

I’ve seen the ‘interlocking + asphalt’ combo on high end houses that have huge driveways, but wondering if there is a reason to do this on a small parking pad.

Is there a cost advantage or disadvantage to either or?
I’d like all interlocking, but wonder if it costs a significant amount more?

Any advice would be great.
Interlocking will sink more often than not
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes
I have an interlock border with asphalt and it's only 3 years old and is beginning to shift. Wouldn't do it again.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3789 upvotes
Thornhill
Interlocking is much more attractive especially on a parking pad. To Andex' point, it will shift too soon if not installed properly and will shoft over time anyway but asphalt will also start to sink under the tire weight.

I'm presuming you have a permit for the parking pad, if you don't asphalt is not the way to go.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2003
26 posts
Yes, the parking pad is in the back so it's registered with the City.
I hear interlocking looks better and is easier to fix. Not sure about the mix of hard stone, and soft asphalt though.
Seems like 2 unpredictable elements.
Any idea on what kind of pricing to expect for 320 sq feet of accessible flat backyard? Assuming Excavation, material, tamping, interlock, polymeric.
Dec 13, 2011
171 posts
77 upvotes
GMA
Here in the greater MTL area, Interlocking comes out at around 12$/sqft and asphalt is around 7$/sqft.

Durability will depend on how deep they dig and how much gravel they put down under your finished product. Needs a minimum of 18" excavation and compacted gravel.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13235 posts
4846 upvotes
Ontario
If you dont want it to sink & have issues in the near future then It's worth going above and beyond code. If it needs a Minimum if 18" as the poster said above I would not do anything less then 20" or maybe even more. This way you have more gravel/sand and so on.

Basically Minimum code is usually poor at best when it comes to wanting quality work done that will last so keep that in mind. At least thats how I would do it IMO.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)