• Apr 7th, 2020 12:39 am
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2019
131 posts
77 upvotes

Parking spot during coronavirus

Hi guys,

I’m not sure if this is the appropriate forum to post this in.

Just want some advice and thoughts from the general public because I’m not sure if what I’m thinking is right or acceptable. No flames pls lol.

Basically I rent a parking spot downtown for $200 but I’m starting to work from home because of the current situation. I have a current contract with the landlord until June 31st.

Of course I understand that I have a contract with the landlord but im wondering if it would be reasonable to ask for a rate deduction of some sort? Everyones slightly financially tighter because of the situation. But I won’t be using the spot in god knows how long.

Am I out of line? And are some other RFDers in a similar situation? If so do you just suck it up and pay?

Thanks!
31 replies
Mar 28, 2011
863 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
There’s no right or wrong

Just ask the person...

Worst case they say no and you spread that cost over the other months you did use it...if that makes you feel better
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1145 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
arusabalbata wrote: Hi guys,

Just want some advice and thoughts from the general public because I’m not sure if what I’m thinking is right or acceptable. No flames pls lol.

Basically I rent a parking spot downtown for $200 but I’m starting to work from home because of the current situation. I have a current contract with the landlord until June 31st.

Of course I understand that I have a contract with the landlord but im wondering if it would be reasonable to ask for a rate deduction of some sort? Everyones slightly financially tighter because of the situation. But I won’t be using the spot in god knows how long.

Am I out of line? And are some other RFDers in a similar situation? If so do you just suck it up and pay?

Thanks!
Talk to your landlord and work something out that you both can agree on.

IMO if you can afford to pay it then just do it.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2019
131 posts
77 upvotes
Thanks guys, he said no straight up lol. Guess that answers everything.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3196 posts
675 upvotes
Vancouver
Similar-ish situation as you. My work's parking company requires 30 days notice to cancel. Since the WFH thing all came down mid-March I emailed hoping to cancel for April 1. Also got rejected. -_-
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8323 posts
4278 upvotes
litebrite wrote: Similar-ish situation as you. My work's parking company requires 30 days notice to cancel. Since the WFH thing all came down mid-March I emailed hoping to cancel for April 1. Also got rejected. -_-
That's a bummer. Did you give notice anyway to save some money down the road?
Aug 2, 2018
156 posts
94 upvotes
I'd walk out of this contract and forgo my deposit if I were you. Your landlord should understand. Everyone is losing money at this point of time (unless you make masks or ventilator), including him or her.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13856 posts
8902 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
no

Thanks!
arusabalbata wrote: Thanks guys, he said no straight up lol. Guess that answers everything.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1609 posts
2302 upvotes
West
You were not out of line, but sounds like you need to find a new parking spot come July 1st. Seems like a very unreasonable landlord if he/she wasn't even willing to consider any options with you.

At very minimum, your landlord should have offered to advertise the spot, and if he/she can find someone to take over your contract, or start a new one, you should be let out. But of course, you would not have the spot once this all blows over.

Or, do you have the option to try and sublet the spot in the interim? Not sure if demand is exactly great right now, but might be worth a shot to try and/or ask if this would be acceptable.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2019
131 posts
77 upvotes
goingaround1 wrote: I'd walk out of this contract and forgo my deposit if I were you. Your landlord should understand. Everyone is losing money at this point of time (unless you make masks or ventilator), including him or her.
Thx the only deposit I gave was for the fob I believe and it was $100. We didn’t do first and last month rent type of agreement.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2019
131 posts
77 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: You were not out of line, but sounds like you need to find a new parking spot come July 1st. Seems like a very unreasonable landlord if he/she wasn't even willing to consider any options with you.

At very minimum, your landlord should have offered to advertise the spot, and if he/she can find someone to take over your contract, or start a new one, you should be let out. But of course, you would not have the spot once this all blows over.

Or, do you have the option to try and sublet the spot in the interim? Not sure if demand is exactly great right now, but might be worth a shot to try and/or ask if this would be acceptable.
To be honest he wasn’t nice about it all. I feel like he wasn’t empathetic at all about the situation. But he may have his own bills or debts to pay - that’s how I took it and will move forward.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely feel like he could’ve offered something but again I tried and talked to him for a good 15 mins.

My wife said just forget it and move on.. I just know if I were in that position I would try and do something about it a little bit and be more understanding.

Oh well everyone reacts differently and has different circumstances . Based on his job position and background (since we were talking at the beginning and The location of the condo) he does make good money but you never know what’s going on behind the scenes. That and maybe he’s abit uptight if I may say
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3196 posts
675 upvotes
Vancouver
choclover wrote: That's a bummer. Did you give notice anyway to save some money down the road?
I did, so at least I'm only out 1 month's worth of parking. Oh wells! GL to you in your situation.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga

Thanks!
I dont think you are out of line asking for a reduction. Also the landlord isn't out of line refusing the reduction. I believe if your contract was for longer than June you might have got a reduction.
My assumption is the landlord is concerned you will leave in June and he will have a hard time re-renting the spot.

If I was the landlord I would of offered a reduction with an extension of the agreement signed.
Jun 13, 2006
602 posts
32 upvotes
Vaughan
Break the contract, don't pay, cite force majeure - good luck him trying to sue you as its a valid clause. Now if you need this guy when things get back to normal, i would be careful not to burn bridges.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1318 posts
1011 upvotes
HAMILTON
well, you are working from home so not suffering any income loss............. so why should the landlord suffer ???? not as if he is going to be readily able to rent spot out during these uncertain times.

You asked, you got an answer and the response from your wife is best one ....... just move on.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
2053 posts
526 upvotes
Why should the owner take the loss and not you? He got bills to pay too.
Jul 4, 2018
392 posts
316 upvotes
Landlord didn’t get that spot for free
He must have paid atleast $55,000 means $250 per month
Plus $80 maintenance fee ... so monthly cost is $330
Worse case $275.,,, he isn’t making much from your spot but paying from his pocket on top of your rent.

If he signs anything from builder as agreement, builders won’t allow him to exit and so is the case anyone with agreements...
Good thing you only need to pay for 2 months and last month is already paid...is this thread worth $400?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8323 posts
4278 upvotes
As much as I feel bad for OP, paying for the parking spot (which I have done myself in the past) means that OP now has exclusive rights over the use of that spot based on the agreement he has with landlord. That means that the landlord is bound by those terms and cannot turn around and rent that spot to anyone else or OP can sue for damages. Whether or not OP's personal situation changes during the term of the lease is really of no consequence to the landlord. Kind of like a landlord-tenant relationship. Unfortunately, this virus thing is affecting everyone in so many different ways. We should all start thinking about how to stop the bleeding by doing what we need to do now to stop the spread BUT also thinking about a quick economic recovery in terms of getting ourselves back to normal ASAP. If this goes on for too long, it won't be just the virus that is hurting people.
Jan 5, 2020
774 posts
1064 upvotes
I seem to have a different opinion than everyone else.

In my opinion, a contract is a contract. I don't think it would be fair for you to break the contract due to coronavirus. If you break the contract, your landlord will most definitely lose rent. Maybe your landlord is also going through financial difficulty?