Automotive

Parking Ticket - $40! (But license plate wrong)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 7:54 pm
[OP]
Sep 5, 2013
90 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga

Parking Ticket - $40! (But license plate wrong)

I received a parking ticket today - $40.

Upon close inspection, with a magnifying glass & a glass of scotch on hand - I noticed the ticket had 2 digits of the Plate reversed. I immediately called Robert Langdon, my old pal who was thoroughly impressed and thinks it has deeper meaning.
Kidding.
Instead of NT, it was TN.

My lucky day? Do I just pretend it doesn't exist and burn it?
Or should I call the parking office up and get them to throw it out. Or, might that backfire on me and they'd change their computer system and mail me a new 'corrected' paper ticket lol?

Edit: I had a thought - do parking ticket officers take photographs now, so they can correct the mistake later, if needed?
Last edited by Marc9999 on Jul 29th, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8106 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe, maybe not. Don't do anything and wait to see if the "official" letter arrives in a few weeks confirming the infraction. If it arrives, deal with it accordingly. If not, you're off the hook.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1747 posts
1700 upvotes
GTA
Had that happen. Never received any follow up notice and it has been a few years.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21739 posts
2548 upvotes
I was on the other end and received a ticket for my plate, but I was not remotely in the area. Disputed online (Toronto) and received a cancellation 10 months later.
Aug 3, 2017
663 posts
478 upvotes
Had this happen in Gatineau and they fixed it unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3951 posts
4063 upvotes
GTA
The bylaw officer has pictures of your car as evidence to go along with the offense number.

When the ticket goes unpaid, they'll look at the photos and correct the license plate number on file, and thus have your name and mailing address.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2013
90 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
derass wrote: The bylaw officer has pictures of your car as evidence to go along with the offense number.

When the ticket goes unpaid, they'll look at the photos and correct the license plate number on file, and thus have your name and mailing address.
Well son of a....really?
Hmm, I could have sworn I got away with this 10 or so years ago. Times have changed. That would make sense today having photos.

It sounds like I should be calling them up and verify if that's what will happen. I'd rather not have an extra penalty fee ontop of the ticket, if I choose to wait for something in the mail.

EDIT: Thanks for this information: I plugged in the ticket number and 'wrong' plate number. Sure enough there are photographs - 6 of them. I suppose they would just make the correction then.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14312 posts
8719 upvotes
Toronto
I'm more curious as to why when people illegally park and get ticketed, try to find a way out of non-payment. Esp when the costs of owning a vehicle are much more than any parking fine.

Is it entitlement?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Sep 5, 2013
90 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
koffey wrote: I'm more curious as to why when people illegally park and get ticketed, try to find a way out of non-payment. Esp when the costs of owning a vehicle are much more than any parking fine.

Is it entitlement?

1. I've parked there in the past, in designated visitor areas, without incident. Granted I wasn't a visitor to that building.

2. IF the ticket wasn't properly filled out and it wasn't, I'd prefer not to pay, plain and simple. That used to be the case and I'm asking to see if that still applies.

3. You're clearly an annoying human being and not worthy of anymore discussion. Now be a good lad and piss off.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14312 posts
8719 upvotes
Toronto
Marc9999 wrote: 1. I've parked there in the past, in designated visitor areas, without incident. Granted I wasn't a visitor to that building.

2. IF the ticket wasn't properly filled out and it wasn't, I'd prefer not to pay, plain and simple. That used to be the case and I'm asking to see if that still applies.

3. You're clearly an annoying human being and not worthy of anymore discussion. Now be a good lad and piss off.
Must have hit a nerve, lol.

1. What I asked is a completely legit question.
2. Obviously you deserved the ticket for being the annoying human by parking in a place designated for people at a location you are clearly abusing since you are not a visitor there.
3. I think we both agree that this isn't worthy of anymore discussion.

Please self reflect on your ignorance and try to be better.

Truth hurts.
Last edited by koffey on Jul 30th, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13682 posts
8691 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Hey Op, toss that ticket in the garbage and carry on.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Nov 9, 2005
780 posts
196 upvotes
Parking Officer is the fool here - he couldn't even enter the license plate correctly and it is his job.

Fight it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8106 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: The bylaw officer has pictures of your car as evidence to go along with the offense number.

Not always and depends on municipality.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5689 posts
2039 upvotes
GTEH!

I didn't know they take pics of your plate now with parking violations.. You learn something new everyday.

Sometimes when I'm in Toronto, I see these By-Law Officers issuing Parking tickets on a fancy hand-held computer.
😎
Aug 6, 2017
573 posts
863 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: That's for moving violations not parking tickets.

OP you're in the clear.
If the bylaw officer had taken pictures, he's back to square one.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19988 posts
5368 upvotes
Good Morning
Isn't there an admin surcharge added onto the ticket total if they send you the ticket tin the mail?

And yeah, parking enforcement officers have issued smartphones that they use to take pictures of the vehicle from multiple angles.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3123 posts
762 upvotes
Vaughan
My brother got away with a ticket because the license plate was wrong. However, that was in the late 90's, when cell phone cameras didn't exist, and everyone had a nokia 3390/3360. Can't get away with this stuff anymore.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Dec 4, 2017
291 posts
267 upvotes
I'd wait for the official notice in the mail.

I use Green P app to pay for parking as it's much faster and convenient, so there's no ticket to display on my dashboard. The Toronto Parking officer must type in my licence plate to validate that I paid for parking. It would be a pity if Toronto Parking issued me a ticket with a wrong licence plate and I have to pull out Email receipts to prove I made payment.

On the other hand as others have suggested, if you knew you were in the wrong, just pay the infraction. Fighting the ticket would cost you more time and money.