• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2020 1:53 pm
[OP]
Aug 20, 2017
55 posts
13 upvotes

parking ticket question vancouver

Hi..

I parked my rental car in diamond parking lot in vancouver downtown 5 days ago. I thought I could pay after I return so I left the parking lot and went to canada place and other attraction for sight seeing. After I returned after 2 hours, I paid the parking fees from the booth and went inside my car. I was about to drive and I saw a receipt on the dashboard. I quickly got out of the car and to my surprise it was a payment notice for failure to pay and the charges was $80 if paid within 10 days and and $120 if paid after 10 days.

The notice was generated 5 minutes before I came to the parking lot and paid the $7.62 real parking charges for that evening.

Do I have to pay these scammers? Or what is the solution here?

thanks
6 replies
Dec 5, 2017
189 posts
149 upvotes
Yes, you should pay this fee. But if you're about to file bankruptcy I wouldn't bother.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6128 posts
4740 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: What planet do you live on where pay-at-the-kiosk works that way?
There are still some pay at exit, display nothing on dash type lots but yeah OP should have read the instruction when traveling in unfamiliar territory.
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sour ... SXOOUWVjg4
No, you don't have to pay them. In your case, you'll have to check with the car rental company, they have the ability to make you pay if Diamond drops the fine in their lap.
Now please don't use AB thread and apply to BC. Diamond and Impark doesn't have access to our plates so they can't find out owners of the car and mail them tickets. So we tends to ignore them here in Calgary. Our plate will only be on their DB and if I assume there are enough violation, they may tow your car.

In BC, looks like ICBC will snitch on you to Diamond. So in OP's case, rental agency will get a ticket. They will pay it can probably charge OP $50 of admin fees on top. So OP, you should talk to the rental agency on how to handle this. If possible, since you have proof of payment (although only after the ticket is issued), Diamond may void the ticket.
Last edited by Xtrema on Mar 11th, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10136 posts
12114 upvotes
Vancouver
Xtrema wrote: There are still some pay at exit, display nothing on dash type lots but yeah OP should have read the instruction when traveling in unfamiliar territory.
Those have a ticket-on-entry system with a time stamp, so when you pay on exit, the length of stay is known. Self-park and self-pay-at-kiosk is always pay-up-front, otherwise how is anyone to know how long you have stayed?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11903 posts
8150 upvotes
Edmonton
satanicdreams wrote: Hi..

I parked my rental car in diamond parking lot in vancouver downtown 5 days ago. I thought I could pay after I return so I left the parking lot and went to canada place and other attraction for sight seeing. After I returned after 2 hours, I paid the parking fees from the booth and went inside my car. I was about to drive and I saw a receipt on the dashboard. I quickly got out of the car and to my surprise it was a payment notice for failure to pay and the charges was $80 if paid within 10 days and and $120 if paid after 10 days.

The notice was generated 5 minutes before I came to the parking lot and paid the $7.62 real parking charges for that evening.

Do I have to pay these scammers? Or what is the solution here?

thanks
The ticket will be issued to the rental car company, and they're not likely to try to fight it or do anything other than pay it, because you likely signed a agreement saying your credit card could be charged for any fines like this.

So your choices are to talk to Diamond and try to get the ticket waived, pay the ticket now to avoid the fine increase and rental card company getting involved, or ignore it and let the credit card company pay the max fine and possibly some kind of handling charge.

C