Automotive

Parking Violation - parked on street during rush hour

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2017 1:30 pm
Jan 23, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote

Parking Violation - parked on street during rush hour

I got traffic ticket for parking at a metered street parking. Sign clearly displayed, "not to park during rush hours that is between 4 to 6 pm". I returned to my car at around 4:30 pm. My handicap parking permit was visibly displayed. I got nailed for ticket in the amount of $150 and that hurts. I have a disability handicap parking permit due to my disabilities. What are my options to resolution? Please help!!
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
The handicap permit just means you're exempt from towing, but you're still eligible for the fine.

Maybe you can dispute it and ask for a reduction.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2282 posts
874 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
rio1960 wrote: I got traffic ticket for parking at a metered street parking. Sign clearly displayed, "not to park during rush hours that is between 4 to 6 pm". I returned to my car at around 4:30 pm. My handicap parking permit was visibly displayed. I got nailed for ticket in the amount of $150 and that hurts. I have a disability handicap parking permit due to my disabilities. What are my options to resolution? Please help!!
Your disabled permit doesn't allow you to get immunity from parking tickets. It allows you to park in disabled parking and exempt from towing when improperly parked. The sign clearly said no parking between 4-6pm and you parked during that time, so therefore, you have to pay the fine.

That is your resolution. Sucks that it hurts, but this is a lesson learned.
Oct 14, 2007
16 posts
5 upvotes
toronto
Uhhhhh. So you got a ticket for parking in a no parking zone .... hmmmmm
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
You still have to follow the rules. No parking means no parking.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
Spinner wrote: The handicap permit just means you're exempt from towing, but you're still eligible for the fine.

apetimberlake wrote: Uhhhhh. So you got a ticket for parking in a no parking zone .... hmmmmm
carmaster wrote: You still have to follow the rules. No parking means no parking.
JKKim2983 wrote: Your disabled permit doesn't allow you to get immunity from parking tickets. It allows you to park in disabled parking and exempt from towing when improperly parked. The sign clearly said no parking between 4-6pm and you parked during that time, so therefore, you have to pay the fine.

That is your resolution. Sucks that it hurts, but this is a lesson learned.
Incorrect. Toronto has several exemptions for accessible parking permits, including parking in no-parking zones, free on-street parking and no 3h limit.

OP violated a rush hour violation, for which no exemption is granted (anytime between 6-10a/3-7p). The charge is valid.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Where can I find a list of all exemptions in Toronto?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
Suck it up buttercup
Sep 19, 2013
958 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
OP got a dose of reality that he is not someone that is exempt from the rules
Last edited by WorldIRC on Mar 14th, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need for name calling
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Spinner wrote: The handicap permit just means you're exempt from towing, but you're still eligible for the fine.

Handicap permits are exempt from towing? Even if you double park which would basically put you in the middle of the street? (3 lanes, 1st lane is a parking and the handicap permit car parks in the 2nd lane, aka middle lane).
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2926 posts
1499 upvotes
You just have to pay the parking ticket.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
OP there are no exceptions for the Rush Hour tickets. This was part of the whole reducing gridlock project.
RFD Forums Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
83 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto Ontario Cana…
*who is exempt (just sayin')
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately the fine will hold since the sign said not to park.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
I worked downtown near a very busy street last year. There were a ton of NO PARKING signs on it, however I'd say a good 70% of people parking there were disabled. Parking inspectors patrolled it like hawks giving out tickets left and right however I never saw them ticket the disabled sign cars. Always wondered why.

I specifically checked the signs for any "Disabled are exempt" type of info on there but there was nothing like that. Are they really exempt? I saw some basically occupy two lanes and no one cared.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7079 upvotes
West GTEH!
Funny how people with "Handicap parking permits" feel they are untouchable and exempt from ALL parking rules/signs.
😎