Automotive

'parking without valid control device'?? parking ticket fine in Town of Georgina

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2016 12:49 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2812 posts
3886 upvotes
SAINT JOHN

'parking without valid control device'?? parking ticket fine in Town of Georgina

I received a ticket last Sunday while parking to go fishing. I stopped over to Lake Simcoe to briefly test out my fishing gear for the season. Turned my back to my car for a few minutes to talk with some other fisherman who where showing my how to use my gear better then when I turned around to go to the car for a cold drink in the cooler I saw the parking ticket.

On the ticket it says 'parking without valid control device'. The by-law section number is '5.10(d)' and the set fine is $50.00 (ouch).

It seems the parking officer picked the highest possible fine they can get away with.

Seems like no one else paid for parking this place as everyone stayed close to their cars to move at a moment's notice. I can understand if the ticket said 'no paid parking ticket' and change say $15.00 but $50.00 seems much.

What does 'valid control device' mean? To me a device is something like the 407 ETR box or cellphone, etc.

I was there approx. 25-30mins and about 10-15mins talking to other people with my back turned when that happened. Grr... > :( :( Was peeved over the ticket and decided to stay the whole day to get the most from the ticket but move the car next time the parking officers came (5hrs later). Seems like only come twice a day on a Sunday when it is busy and popular as on Thursday no one showed up all day.

Thanks in advance for someone to explain the ticket to me. Should I just pay it or fight it? It it was a lower fine like $10-15 I would just pay it but at $50.00 I am not sure.

EDIT:
I did try googling but can not seem to find the 5.10(d) bylaw. Closest I got was section 5.9 then it went onto 6.0

http://www3.georgina.ca/PDF/bylaw/2002/ ... 2-0046.htm
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
9 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21901 posts
2716 upvotes
Usually its a permit, you parked is a no parking without permit zone.
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
522 upvotes
Brossard, QC
Is the place a no-parking zone?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4123 posts
928 upvotes
Sask.
valid control device could be something like a permit or parking pass - e.g. handicapped parking
It could also be signs designating parking - like not parking between signs, for example; parking meters, lights, traffic island, etc.
Dec 21, 2006
14 posts
1 upvote
Ajax, ON
thedealhunter2000 wrote: I received a ticket last Sunday while parking to go fishing. I stopped over to Lake Simcoe to briefly test out my fishing gear for the season. Turned my back to my car for a few minutes to talk with some other fisherman who where showing my how to use my gear better then when I turned around to go to the car for a cold drink in the cooler I saw the parking ticket.

On the ticket it says 'parking without valid control device'. The by-law section number is '5.10(d)' and the set fine is $50.00 (ouch).

It seems the parking officer picked the highest possible fine they can get away with.

Seems like no one else paid for parking this place as everyone stayed close to their cars to move at a moment's notice. I can understand if the ticket said 'no paid parking ticket' and change say $15.00 but $50.00 seems much.

What does 'valid control device' mean? To me a device is something like the 407 ETR box or cellphone, etc.

I was there approx. 25-30mins and about 10-15mins talking to other people with my back turned when that happened. Grr... > :( :( Was peeved over the ticket and decided to stay the whole day to get the most from the ticket but move the car next time the parking officers came (5hrs later). Seems like only come twice a day on a Sunday when it is busy and popular as on Thursday no one showed up all day.

Thanks in advance for someone to explain the ticket to me. Should I just pay it or fight it? It it was a lower fine like $10-15 I would just pay it but at $50.00 I am not sure.

EDIT:
I did try googling but can not seem to find the 5.10(d) bylaw. Closest I got was section 5.9 then it went onto 6.0

http://www3.georgina.ca/PDF/bylaw/2002/ ... 2-0046.htm
I found this link http://www3.georgina.ca/PDF/Bylaw/2011/ ... 1-0013.htm
Oct 21, 2006
644 posts
403 upvotes
fight it... tell them to go uncontrolled device up their anus
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1684 posts
601 upvotes
Calgary
Jigsaw wrote: fight it... tell them to go uncontrolled device up their anus
Haha I laughed hard when I saw this!

Sorry to hear about this op. Hope you get it resolved.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8277 posts
2011 upvotes
Toronto
Fight it. The situation can only improve.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29161 posts
14913 upvotes
Toronto
OP, you must have parked at a place where meters are present but you failed to pay and/or display the required paid time on your car's dash ?