Automotive

Parking your car outside 365 days - Any major concern?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2021 10:39 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
326 posts
66 upvotes

Parking your car outside 365 days - Any major concern?

May be a dumb question but wondering how many of you are parking your car (assuming you are using your Garage for something else may be workshop or home gym or whatever).
Any major concern other than battery weakening over period of time?
I am also reading in some forums that it is very common that cars are parked outside 365 days but need your thoughts.
39 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2829 posts
154 upvotes
Calgary
rodents use as nest or get stuff from inside engine compartment for nests
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30052 posts
16061 upvotes
Toronto
If your car is not brand new, I guess UV rays damage to the paint and interior could be an issue, esp. if you don't take care the car.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2849 posts
1512 upvotes
Markham
nowhere2010 wrote: May be a dumb question but wondering how many of you are parking your car (assuming you are using your Garage for something else may be workshop or home gym or whatever).
I am also reading in some forums that it is very common that cars are parked outside 365 days but need your thoughts.
If you are parking the vehicle, that is fine. A lot of people park their vehicles on the streets and driveways....no garage.

If you are talking about having your vehicle hibernating on your driveway, just use a breathable cover, fuel stabilizer, charger for the battery, plug up the exhaust pipe so rodents can't get in, etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3379 posts
3361 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'm assuming you mean sitting for a year straight.

Put in extra air pressure in the tires, put a car cover on it to protect the paint from uv's, plug in a battery tenderer, and just leave it. Not really anything else to do.

If its on your property check it regularly for signs of animals, but otherwise not much you can do if a mouse decides he wants to eat your wiring loom. My neighbour had his chewed up and his car only sat a few days lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16998 posts
15606 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ecsta wrote: I'm assuming you mean sitting for a year straight.

Put in extra air pressure in the tires, put a car cover on it to protect the paint from uv's, plug in a battery tenderer, and just leave it. Not really anything else to do.

If its on your property check it regularly for signs of animals, but otherwise not much you can do if a mouse decides he wants to eat your wiring loom. My neighbour had his chewed up and his car only sat a few days lol.
I’m pretty sure OP means just parking outside full time, not storing the vehicle…

Plenty of cars sit outside year round. Proper care for paint and trim should be done regularly to prevent UV damage.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3379 posts
3361 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
EP32k2 wrote: I’m pretty sure OP means just parking outside full time, not storing the vehicle…

Plenty of cars sit outside year round. Proper care for paint and trim should be done regularly to prevent UV damage.
That'd be a pretty dumb question, but re-reading it a few times you're probably right haha.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5106 posts
4046 upvotes
nowhere2010 wrote: May be a dumb question but wondering how many of you are parking your car (assuming you are using your Garage for something else may be workshop or home gym or whatever).
What do you think people without garages do? Honestly :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16998 posts
15606 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ecsta wrote: That'd be a pretty dumb question, but re-reading it a few times you're probably right haha.
Well it is RFD...

LOL
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11821 posts
3476 upvotes
Ontario
Not an issue, many people park they car outside all year round (assuming you don't mean storing and not driving)

Its recommended you put some sort of protection on the cars paint to help protect it against UV. Waxing the car 2 or 3 times a year with a good quality wax will help protect the paint & no the car wash wax is no where near the same & last a few days if your lucky.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29744 posts
10462 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Well it is RFD...

LOL
Gotta keep it interesting I guess, otherwise will just be a bunch of "EV is bestest evar" and "Hyundai sucks fireballs" threads :lol:
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1500 posts
566 upvotes
YYC
Why do people down vote on everything?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5106 posts
4046 upvotes
BensonNV wrote: Why do people down vote on everything?
Usually I would say this too but in this case it's totally warranted, it's a stupid question. The fact you can't see that....well...
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1061 posts
1339 upvotes
Calgary
Paint fade, tire rot, rodents. Park inside if you car about your car.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2849 posts
1512 upvotes
Markham
ES_Revenge wrote: Gotta keep it interesting I guess, otherwise will just be a bunch of "EV is bestest evar" and "Hyundai sucks fireballs" threads :lol:
Don't start....
Jul 29, 2019
174 posts
133 upvotes
I am going to buy a used car and also had similar thoughts.

I live in a condo, and I can rent a parking space either on the surface or underground.
The underground parking is $20 a month more than surface.

In such case, does it make sense to spend $20 every month for parking it underground ?
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1666 upvotes
Clarington, ON
patel21 wrote: I am going to buy a used car and also had similar thoughts.

I live in a condo, and I can rent a parking space either on the surface or underground.
The underground parking is $20 a month more than surface.

In such case, does it make sense to spend $20 every month for parking it underground ?
In the winter you won’t have to clear snow off of it. Assuming the underground isn’t as cold as outside either.

In the summer, being underground, it should be cooler and there won’t be full sun on your car.

Benefits from less UV year round.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2009 posts
1792 upvotes
Ottawa
We park year round in a driveway. Haven't had any issues, other than clearing snow in the winter sucks.

Most homes in our neighbourhood don't have garages.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4760 posts
2260 upvotes
It is a strange question.

What car are we talking about? A collectible, or a Mercedes-Maybach?

If it is a "regular" car, I wouldn't be concerned. Leave it outside all the time.