• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 9:00 pm
[OP]
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
69 posts
67 upvotes

Parted ways with my first realtor in a week

I was looking for a house in Hamilton, found a lady through Royal Lepage, nice looking lady, but after working with her for one week, we parted ways, then I found another agent (who's a family friend's friend) who offered a rebate, and finally got an offer accepted after 20 days of looking.

These are the reasons why we couldn't work together:

1. Not picking my up and driving me to the houses, using Covid19 as excuse, had to drive myself for 25 minutes, when I got to the house, I saw another agent carrying a young couple in his Porsche.

2. Claiming a house would be sold in a few days, and gave up on trying to book a showing.

3. When I asked her about a house's lead pipe issue, she said she'll email me the information later, and never did, not addressing the concerns.

4. Not keeping me posted on a house I was interested in on the day in which they take offers.

5. Trying to look up house information on her cellphone instead of printing out a copy of the MLS listing.

6. Not offering a single cent of rebate, claiming she knew her value, which I didn't see.

Overall, she's just ok......

Anyway this is my experience as first time home buyer, always look for rebate and someone who's willing to drive you, save the money.
55 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1803 posts
1819 upvotes
Someone who’s willing to drive you? Are you looking for a real estate agent or an Uber driver? Lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9725 posts
4036 upvotes
Vaughan
Those days are gone. Covid-19 changes lots. If I was buyer, I wouldn't want to be driven like that.
May 7, 2016
483 posts
415 upvotes
I agree with 2 to 6, but I don't know who in their right mind wants to share a car with a person that deals with countless people in the middle of a pandemic.
Sep 13, 2007
148 posts
184 upvotes
toronto
TheMeat wrote: I was looking for a house in Hamilton, found a lady through Royal Lepage, nice looking lady, but after working with her for one week, we parted ways, then I found another agent (who's a family friend's friend) who offered a rebate, and finally got an offer accepted after 20 days of looking.

These are the reasons why we couldn't work together:

1. Not picking my up and driving me to the houses, using Covid19 as excuse, had to drive myself for 25 minutes, when I got to the house, I saw another agent carrying a young couple in his Porsche.

2. Claiming a house would be sold in a few days, and gave up on trying to book a showing.

3. When I asked her about a house's lead pipe issue, she said she'll email me the information later, and never did, not addressing the concerns.

4. Not keeping me posted on a house I was interested in on the day in which they take offers.

5. Trying to look up house information on her cellphone instead of printing out a copy of the MLS listing.

6. Not offering a single cent of rebate, claiming she knew her value, which I didn't see.

Overall, she's just ok......

Anyway this is my experience as first time home buyer, always look for rebate and someone who's willing to drive you, save the money.
OP good luck with your next agent. As for driving you around, I would prefer to do it solo if I were doing it. I don't want to risk anything.
[OP]
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
69 posts
67 upvotes
als98 wrote: OP good luck with your next agent. As for driving you around, I would prefer to do it solo if I were doing it. I don't want to risk anything.
Thank you! I already bought the house, it's in the processing of closing.

The rebate from agent would easily cover lawyer fee and house inspection, as well as some land transfer tax. The mortgage I got also offers $1000 rebate, plus the $4000 credit for first time home buyer, so I pretty much got my closing cost covered.

As for driving I just sat behind agent and wore a mask.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2008
1196 posts
1224 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I’m glad she was willing to cut you loose. As someone who has met plenty of realtors and hired a number of them, I think it’s really important to find a realtor that works well with you.

I know someone who was looking in Burnaby but decided to look in Surrey instead after prices went up and the realtor refused to meet at the properties saying it was too far for her to drive, but refused to let go of the contract. At the end, they found another realtor and bought a place but the second realtor had to split his part of the commission with the first realtor (who basically did nothing).
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14732 posts
4862 upvotes
GTA
TheMeat wrote: Thank you! I already bought the house, it's in the processing of closing.

The rebate from agent would easily cover lawyer fee and house inspection, as well as some land transfer tax. The mortgage I got also offers $1000 rebate, plus the $4000 credit for first time home buyer, so I pretty much got my closing cost covered.

Did you sign a Buyer's Rep Agreement with the first agent? If so, was it terminated when you decided to move on to another agent?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
7320 posts
5288 upvotes
Toronto
#1 lol
Full-time Realtor
[OP]
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
69 posts
67 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: Did you sign a Buyer's Rep Agreement with the first agent? If so, was it terminated when you decided to move on to another agent?
Didn't sign anything. I just emailed her asking if she wanted to represent me.

In reality, the only person capable of representing my own interest is yours truly.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14732 posts
4862 upvotes
GTA
TheMeat wrote: Didn't sign anything. I just emailed her asking if she wanted to represent me.

In reality, the only person capable of representing my own interest is yours truly.
But getting a ride is half the battle apparently lol

You had some definitely valid concerns...didn't understand the big deal about having a realtor drive you around though.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9405 posts
2245 upvotes
TheMeat wrote: Thank you! I already bought the house, it's in the processing of closing.

I agree with all the other points but the first one where you had to drive yourself because of covid, that's a totally valid reason. Maybe she is immunocompromised or have family who are but they still need to work so they do what they can to keep their distance. I wouldn't want to be in the same car with someone dealing with many people in a day. Better safe than sorry.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
[OP]
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
69 posts
67 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: But getting a ride is half the battle apparently lol

You had some definitely valid concerns...didn't understand the big deal about having a realtor drive you around though.
Gas and mileage on the car, having to drive 50 km each time.

These agents make thousands on commission just showing you 10-20 houses, while many people struggle to make $1000 (after tax) a week after working 40 hours.

Why the hell should clients use their own car?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47568 posts
8183 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TheMeat wrote: Gas and mileage on the car, having to drive 50 km each time.

These agents make thousands on commission just showing you 10-20 houses, while many people struggle to make $1000 (after tax) a week after working 40 hours.

Because it's more efficient. They may not live in the same neighbourhood, etc. I've always driven my own car even pre-covid.

I'd rather negotiate a more sizeable rebate than nickel and diming my realtor. Are you going to complain if they didn't give you a closing gift as well?
Aug 22, 2016
550 posts
325 upvotes

We all are worried about you. You are worrying about 20house tripsX50km = 1000km=$100 in gas.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2765 posts
4514 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Because it's more efficient. They may not live in the same neighbourhood, etc. I've always driven my own car even pre-covid.

I'd rather negotiate a more sizeable rebate than nickel and diming my realtor. Are you going to complain if they didn't give you a closing gift as well?
The self entitlement of the OP is nauseating.
Sep 13, 2007
148 posts
184 upvotes
toronto
ozzie16 wrote: The self entitlement of the OP is nauseating.
In these times, I would gladly drive myself from here to timbaktu and back if that means I am not in the close proximity of someone who could be infectious. That's just me though.

Like others have said, just work out a fair deal with your agent asking for some rebate instead. Stay safe.
Oct 14, 2019
65 posts
371 upvotes

Damn, I loathe RE agents...but I think I dislike you more.
[OP]
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
69 posts
67 upvotes
arbytor wrote: We all are worried about you. You are worrying about 20house tripsX50km = 1000km=$100 in gas.
Would you rather not to keep the $100?
Sep 13, 2007
148 posts
184 upvotes
toronto
TheMeat wrote: Would you rather not to keep the $100?
At what cost?