Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
PartSource

PartSource Castrol GTX 5w30 and 10w30 w/ Fram Oil Filter - $14.62

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2009 9:52 am
Tags:
None
13 replies
May 1, 2009
17 posts
triniboy75 wrote: nothing wrong with FRAM filters.
Compared to other filters, they're not very good, and I'm being nice.
I don't know a single mechanic, or enthusiast (that know what they're doing) that would use a fram in one of their own vehicles.
Aug 13, 2006
478 posts
257 upvotes
The Mobil 1 synthetic is a great price as well. They are even throwing in a bonus bottle.

The 4.4L jug usually goes for $50+.

Thanks OP!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2258 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto West
zomby woof wrote: Compared to other filters, they're not very good, and I'm being nice.
I don't know a single mechanic, or enthusiast (that know what they're doing) that would use a fram in one of their own vehicles.
Im sure there is quite the difference between what/how your mechanic drives and what/how my mom drives
Feedback - Hofo--Heatware--RedFlag[/B]
Mar 29, 2007
525 posts
74 upvotes
-
Mendes wrote: Im sure there is quite the difference between what/how your mechanic drives and what/how my mom drives
Yeah if anything I bet she has awful driving patterns, IE no warm up time, majority stop and go.

Enjoy your cardboard oil filter.

OEM (depending on which vehicle i'm replacing a filter on) Wix or Mobil 1.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2258 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto West
Tomatolita wrote: Yeah if anything I bet she has awful driving patterns, IE no warm up time, majority stop and go.

Enjoy your cardboard oil filter.

OEM (depending on which vehicle i'm replacing a filter on) Wix or Mobil 1.
To each their own

Fram/Honeywell still makes OEM filters for a ton of manufacturers.
Feedback - Hofo--Heatware--RedFlag[/B]
Apr 24, 2005
249 posts
7 upvotes
don't mean to threadcrap but Walmart has Pennzoil Synthetic Oil 4.4 L Jugs for 21.88. Can't find a better deal for Synthetic Oil, I mean even the cheapo walmart brand is more than this.

I used to use Mobil 1 but now stocked up on the Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. Only causes a little more than regular oil at this price and has a longer life and better protection! :)
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Mendes wrote: Im sure there is quite the difference between what/how your mechanic drives and what/how my mom drives
Mendes wrote: To each their own

Fram/Honeywell still makes OEM filters for a ton of manufacturers.
What does them being popular mean to the actual content of the filters? It doesn't mean anything. This turns into a big argument everytime, but why settle for less?

I know for a fact that with the cheap orange Frams, my valvetrain is noticeably noisier when it's cold in the morning. There's more chatter for a few seconds as the oil builds pressure to reach the top of the head. You can blame this partially on the lack of the internal check valve (better filters have a steel spring down the middle), so all the oil can drain out back into the pan, essentially leaving your Fram filter dry as your car sits for a few hours.

The fact that I can get a whole pallet (ten in a package) of OEM MANN-branded filters for $33 means the cheap orange Frams aren't much cheaper. These filters have the proper spring and metal end caps and much better build quality in general.
Deal with it.
Dec 10, 2003
199 posts
61 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote: <cut>... whole pallet (ten in a package) of OEM MANN-branded filters for $33 ... <cut>
Where do you get those? I've been looking for decently priced non-Fram filters without sucess so far.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
2179 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
KorruptioN there is clatter and it takes longer to warm up, other than that what is the major downside with fram oil filters?

I have been using 'em on my car for years, change oil every 5000 clicks
"Our lives are defined by opportunities. Even the ones we miss."
Aug 13, 2006
478 posts
257 upvotes
multpda wrote: don't mean to threadcrap but Walmart has Pennzoil Synthetic Oil 4.4 L Jugs for 21.88. Can't find a better deal for Synthetic Oil, I mean even the cheapo walmart brand is more than this.

I used to use Mobil 1 but now stocked up on the Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. Only causes a little more than regular oil at this price and has a longer life and better protection! :)
There are significant differences between the type of synthetic oils out there. Hence the price difference between Penzoil and Mobil 1. While the packaging suggests that it's 100% sythentic...it's really a blend of dyno and syn.

The last time I checked there were 2 manufacturers of Class 1 Synthetic motor oil. Mobil and AMSOIL. Both of them are selling for ~$10/quart. The sale at PS this week is great since the Mobil1 and Amsoil rarely go on sale.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
jafo999 wrote: Where do you get those? I've been looking for decently priced non-Fram filters without sucess so far.
I get them from FCP Groton - they specialize in European makes (I have a Volvo).
shawn99 wrote: KorruptioN there is clatter and it takes longer to warm up, other than that what is the major downside with fram oil filters?
Poorer filter media? There's just less of it. People cut open filters and the Fram is a lot less dense than a competing filter, say, a Wix. I can't justify using Fram, other than the fact that they're available everywhere.
Deal with it.
Sep 26, 2007
197 posts
21 upvotes
shawn99 wrote: KorruptioN there is clatter and it takes longer to warm up, other than that what is the major downside with fram oil filters?

I have been using 'em on my car for years, change oil every 5000 clicks
Using Fram filters will not cause your engine to explode. There are millions of cars on the road right now with the orange filters installed on them. BUT, the issue with Fram's Extra Guard (orange can) is that they are priced the same as other filters that are built much better. Frams use paper endcaps that are glued to the media. Most other filters are capped with metal. Frams use a cheap plastic check valve, whereas other good filters use a metal spring. Also, because of the cardboard endcaps, the anti-drainback valve does not seal perfectly and depending on how your filter sits, you could have an empty filter on startup and thus valve clatter.

Here's a bit of good news for us Canadians that shop at Canadian Tire. The house brand Motomaster filter has been manufactured by Fram/Honeywell for a very long time. Recently, CT has gone to a new supplier for their Motomaster oil filter. You may already see the changeover on the shelves. The new filter is plain white with black lettering (the Fram built ones have red Motomaster lettering). The new filter is being manufactured by BB Filter out of China and feels weightier and better built than the Fram built filter.