• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2021 1:51 am
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
390 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto

Passed the 3 month probation: Next steps question

So I accepted an offer back in December and I was notified late last month by my VP that I have passed the probation ahead of time. He said the only needs improvement area is understanding the industry lingo and presenting in zoom calls ( i get nervous and people notice). But I've been getting praised for my work so far, and the colleagues spread this around in zoom meetings and emails. I feel like Im being oversold. There has been downtime, I used it to do courses but its been picking up lately.

My question: do I need to receive any documentation or email proving I passed the probation?

Also, I haven't let the high praises get to my head, but I feel that their expectations might be getting to high everytime they praise me and spread the word. In my last roles, I've seen people get praised but get shot down pretty fast when they are flying high.

How do I manage this in the next 3-6 months? Politically and work wise? I log in exactly at 9am and exit at 5pm, turn my phone off and completely disconnect, so I haven't given them an extra minute of my time.

Some context: I was in Finance before all of this and taking this job was basically a career changer. It involves systems analysis (configuration maintenance, enhancing), migrations, and analytics for the most part. It's been scary but I prepped myself really hard in anticipation for something like this during the pandemic unemployment.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1814 posts
1566 upvotes
Ottawa
Probationary clauses are borderline meaningless. It let's them get rid of you without just cause during the probationary period, but you're still legally entitled to statutory pay in lieu. They also can't let you go for covered grounds, such as human rights. Generally, there still has to be a case for poor performance.

So I wouldn't be too worried about something in writing saying you passed probation.

Just keep doing your job and impressing your employer and you'll be fine. The same applies at 3 months as it does at 3 or 30 years.
Jun 3, 2006
770 posts
183 upvotes
Markham
Improving yourself when it comes to soft skills like presentations is something that you can refine on the job by doing it, however, these are things that you can work on improving on your own time as well. Being in a new-to-you industry or a job function, if it's something that you enjoy and want to stick around in, do some more reading and research into it. Think of it as an investment in yourself, regardless of where you're working. If you treat it like only something that is done between 9-5, it will be hard to improve since most people are already busy doing their day job M-F, 9-5. Other than that, keep doing your thing.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
3503 posts
1052 upvotes
GTA
- No need for any documentation, as long as you are working there past the probation date without any extensions or warning letter it means you passed.
- If you are getting specific feedback make sure you make specific changes or updates that addresses the feedback so you can use during your performance review