• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2017 12:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1393 posts
63 upvotes

Passport office

For those in GTA, I suppose a couple of weeks before March break is a bad time to go renew your passport right ? I still remember I wasted half a day to get mine renewed 5 years ago . how about during the actual March break week? would these be less wait time ? any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help !
29 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3313 posts
637 upvotes
North Etobicoke
bestjsg wrote: For those in GTA, I suppose a couple of weeks before March break is a bad time to go renew your passport right ? I still remember I wasted half a day to get mine renewed 5 years ago . how about during the actual March break week? would these be less wait time ? any advise would be greatly appreciated.
They are pretty much improved now. Maybe I got lucky my wife spent 15 mins in Lawrence Square, it not a passport office per se but they help with renewals (Service Canada) Brampton has one at Bovaird and Hyw 10 that opens on Saturday half day.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9773 posts
2829 upvotes
Vancouver
fill out your forms online and make sure everything is correct (its easy to make silly mistakes) , there is a priority queue for pre filled out paperwork.

If you qualify, you might be able to do it at a Service Canada location if you meet the criteria. Avoid the yonge/sheppard office it has line ups out the door.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/map/agents.asp
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2390 posts
618 upvotes
Ontario
They are always busy. I went to brampton for the opening and the place was packed. All the agents came to their desks late by at least 15 mins and then took another 10 to login. Thats why there is always a back log. Its easier to go to a service Canada.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1393 posts
63 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: fill out your forms online and make sure everything is correct (its easy to make silly mistakes) , there is a priority queue for pre filled out paperwork.

If you qualify, you might be able to do it at a Service Canada location if you meet the criteria. Avoid the yonge/sheppard office it has line ups out the door.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/map/agents.asp
does it take longer than compare to going to a passport office ? like were there any cases that the application was lost in transit etc?

I plan to submit mine , my wife's short renewal forms and my 16 yr old first new adult applications , sounds like I can do them all at the service Canada location ( I am in Markham btw) , do they have to be present at the service Canada too ?
May 7, 2015
528 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I just renewed mine at the downtown Victoria St office, took about an hour.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1393 posts
63 upvotes
webshark wrote: They are always busy. I went to brampton for the opening and the place was packed. All the agents came to their desks late by at least 15 mins and then took another 10 to login. Thats why there is always a back log. Its easier to go to a service Canada.
that's the typical impression of government workers I have and thought it got better over the years but I guess it didn't.. :)
Nov 30, 2015
426 posts
219 upvotes
GTA, ON
I have used and also taken family members to both Whitby and Scarborough offices and it has been an hour or less to get done. I thought the staff at both places were fast and friendly. New passports arrived in the mail quickly too.
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
258 upvotes
i used my local service canada location. less than 10 minute wait. but it takes 5 weeks to get the new passports in the mail. if you are in no rush that's ok. if you want faster then probably better to go to a passport office.
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
258 upvotes
bestjsg wrote: I plan to submit mine , my wife's short renewal forms and my 16 yr old first new adult applications , sounds like I can do them all at the service Canada location ( I am in Markham btw) , do they have to be present at the service Canada too ?
as long as forms are filled out correctly and you have all of the supporting information for each passport application then you can do all the passports yourself. they don't need to be there
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
522 upvotes
Brossard, QC
Which branch is the best location for Passport Renewal?
Jun 11, 2005
469 posts
16 upvotes
Woodbridge
I need to renew my passport.
I have the forms already filled out in full.
I'm in Vaughan.
I'm hoping to get them back as quick as possible without having to pay the express fees
Which location would be best to go to?
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
258 upvotes
S U wrote: I need to renew my passport.
I have the forms already filled out in full.
I'm in Vaughan.
I'm hoping to get them back as quick as possible without having to pay the express fees
Which location would be best to go to?
i have had good luck with the brampton office but last time i went there was 2 years ago....
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3761 posts
880 upvotes
Toronto
My husband and I each renewed our passports last year - different times - at the location on Victoria St. in Toronto. I had to wait a long time - as in the lineup for the first "checking" clerk was right out to the elevators. My husband took a lot less time. We both picked up our passports.

We had fully completed the applications on line and there were no issues. But there was not a priority line last year. Other people asked about it because they had used it (as had we) on our previous renewals.

Neither of us renewed our passports during busy times. It is luck of the draw. A lot of people who live in Toronto started to go to the Yonge/Sheppard location because it was faster - until everyone started going there.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12853 posts
3993 upvotes
GTA
Just don't go on a Monday morning or during lunch time.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
177 upvotes
I filled out the form at home and took it to Lawrence Square in Toronto.

I waited probably 5 mins for an agent and then I spent less than 10 mins with the agent.

They closed at 4pm I believe and I got there about half an hour beforehand.

As easy mistake: they ask for two supporting pieces of ID, like licence and health card. They ask you to write your name as it appears on those pieces of ID. So if one card says "Firstname Lastname" then you write it like that. But if the card says "Last First" then you write your last name first.

They also ask about your place of employment and the dates you worked there. So if you're still working there at the time of filling out the application, don't put the current date. You're supposed to write "Now" or "Present".

And don't worry if you make mistakes. The agent will just cross it out and you write the correct info beside or on top (assuming it's something minor/trivial I guess, which the two examples I gave are).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5148 posts
7497 upvotes
Ontario
Are only corporately owned Canada Post outlets providing Passport Application services? I noticed a printed sign on the Ancaster store (Legend Ct.) yesterday
about this service and the hours (9:30am-12 pm; 1-4pm).
Ube pie-yum! It coordinates with Pantone's colour of the year for 2022.😃
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8573 posts
2347 upvotes
Mississauga
wxw2015 wrote: Which branch is the best location for Passport Renewal?
I've had good luck at Brampton and also Mississauga location in Central Parkway Mall. As others suggested fill out the forms online saves a lot of time when in the passport office.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1568 upvotes
Scarborough
if u fill form online and have it all ready, shouldn't take that long. It's quick. Lots of people still using paper forms, haha which are in slow lane.
Online filled and validated form ensures priority. Process has improved with faster service.
we always go to scarborough centre location, always get passport within 3-4 days.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8569 posts
1388 upvotes
YMMV.

I've gone to the passport office by my work about 5 times in the last 5 years for new passports (infant one expires quickly). I've never waited more than 5 minutes in line. My location at the right time is a breeze and I sail right through.

Processing time has averaged 4 business days for me with regular service. I had a chat about it with the lady at the desk. Apparently the location I get my application at processes the paperwork in house and the print Bureau is just down the St. All together it reduces the standard delivery time to just a few days. Vs other locations where applications are mailed somewhere for processing and then they are sent elsewhere for printing before delivery.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)