• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 12:24 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2009
318 posts
66 upvotes

Passport Services Suspended

Canadian gov't website:

"Passport services at all Service Canada offices are suspended until further notice".

I take it that means you can't mail in your passport application/renewal either.

A couple thoughts:
Will your current passport be extended beyond the expiry date?
This will create such a backlog of applications when they finally are up and running.

Anyone have any insight as to more information about this?
167 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8674 posts
3138 upvotes
Toronto
It should mean the office locations are no longer serving people who go there physically. Mail in should still be processed.

They are just trying to eliminate physical contacts with the public. Also no line ups by the public.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14521 posts
11727 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Arrgh wrote: It should mean the office locations are no longer serving people who go there physically. Mail in should still be processed.

They are just trying to eliminate physical contacts with the public. Also no line ups by the public.
This

Plus yes, it is quite possible that it also means that ones Passport Expiry will be extended

Just like other deadlines have been extended ... 2019 Tax Filing Deadline - Drivers License Renewal - Health Card Renewals etc

But like @Arrgh i am betting it means you can still mail in documentation for NEW Applications or Renewals. And things will get processed on a FIFO basis (Know folks as Passport Canada, they are very particular about registering incoming mail & documents ... each application gets a Dosier # from the minute it arrives )

EDIT / UPDATE - Took a look at the website. URGENT SERVICES still exist for those in the most need
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... ports.html
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1417 posts
778 upvotes
Yep, they are

Why?
Where you planning on going somewhere?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2324 posts
713 upvotes
Armeee wrote: Canadian gov't website:

"Passport services at all Service Canada offices are suspended until further notice".

I take it that means you can't mail in your passport application/renewal either.

A couple thoughts:
This will create such a backlog of applications when they finally are up and running.

No one is travelling outside of Canada now unless it is for essential travel.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2009
318 posts
66 upvotes
Yes, I understand there is no travel right now and this is not an "urgent" case.

My kids passports do not expire until late June but they are home next week and I wanted to get the ball rolling.
With Service Canada now closed my only option is to mail it in (thank you Arrgh and PointsHubby)

I will check with my local MP's office to see if they still accept completed applications. If not, then by registered mail.

thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8674 posts
3138 upvotes
Toronto
Armeee wrote: I will check with my local MP's office to see if they still accept completed applications. If not, then by registered mail.
MP's offices do not accept passport applications. MP's don't do that.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2009
318 posts
66 upvotes
Arrgh wrote: MP's offices do not accept passport applications. MP's don't do that.
Is this something new because I had friends drop off their applications last year and the riding office accepted it. I am 1.5 hours away from Ottawa so our MP is back home quite a bit.

EDIT: This is from the website of Barrie MP John Brassard (not my MP)

FAQ’s:

Q: What is the benefit of sending my application(s) though my MP?

Answers:

There is no charge to review the completeness of the application
There is no charge for the secure courier service to Passport Canada
If Passport Canada requires additional information/clarification they will contact you directly by phone as opposed to returning the entire application by mail for you to re-submit at a later date.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8674 posts
3138 upvotes
Toronto
Armeee wrote: Is this something new because I had friends drop off their applications last year and the riding office accepted it. I am 1.5 hours away from Ottawa so our MP is back home quite a bit.

EDIT: This is from the website of Barrie MP John Brassard (not my MP)

FAQ’s:

Q: What is the benefit of sending my application(s) though my MP?

Answers:

There is no charge to review the completeness of the application
There is no charge for the secure courier service to Passport Canada
If Passport Canada requires additional information/clarification they will contact you directly by phone as opposed to returning the entire application by mail for you to re-submit at a later date.
Ok, you found some MP's doing that. You can certainly ask your MP to do that. I won't trouble my MP with something trivial as a passport application. They got more important things to deal with.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8987 posts
10414 upvotes
Vancouver
Arrgh wrote: Ok, you found some MP's doing that. You can certainly ask your MP to do that. I won't trouble my MP with something trivial as a passport application. They got more important things to deal with.
This. MPs who do this really should be doing it only for people who are incapable of doing it on their own. Your MP's office shouldn't be a Hot Deal for RFDers.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2009
318 posts
66 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: This. MPs who do this really should be doing it only for people who are incapable of doing it on their own. Your MP's office shouldn't be a Hot Deal for RFDers.
I got my first passport in '86 when I went to Italy as a student. We dropped it off at our MP's office so this practice has been going on for decades. So probably thousands of "capable" people (probably in most ridings) have used this benefit. So who are you to judge me thinking I'm trying to scam something for free... Do you know what services a riding office provides? Probably not with your ignorant comments. I don't live in a big city and my MP is Conservative which means she is not in power right now!
Last edited by Armeee on Mar 21st, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2009
318 posts
66 upvotes
Arrgh wrote: Ok, you found some MP's doing that. You can certainly ask your MP to do that. I won't trouble my MP with something trivial as a passport application. They got more important things to deal with.
Where did I say I am asking my MP to do anything? I'm dropping it off at the riding office.... oh wait, you actually think that the MP has a part in this process and reviews the applications, really that's a joke right. All the riding office worker does is make sure you have a couple photos, signatures are there, all sections filled in, etc. It's probably a 5-10 minute process.
Let me ask you what important things an MP whose party is not in power and not sitting in the HOCs as parliament has been suspended is dealing with right now? Cause mine is doing SFA except updating her Twitter account on washing hands and social distancing.
I don't appreciate your snarky comments as well and you are obviously didn't read my post correctly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8674 posts
3138 upvotes
Toronto
Armeee wrote: Where did I say I am asking my MP to do anything? I'm dropping it off at the riding office.... oh wait, you actually think that the MP has a part in this process and reviews the applications, really that's a joke right. All the riding office worker does is make sure you have a couple photos, signatures are there, all sections filled in, etc. It's probably a 5-10 minute process.
Let me ask you what important things an MP whose party is not in power and not sitting in the HOCs as parliament has been suspended is dealing with right now? Cause mine is doing SFA except updating her Twitter account on washing hands and social distancing.
I don't appreciate your snarky comments as well and you are obviously didn't read my post correctly.
I wouldn't trouble my MP's office to do anything as trivial as handling my passport application. It'd be nice for you to get educated on what MPs do whether they are in power or not.
Jun 13, 2018
633 posts
470 upvotes
Armeee wrote: Canadian gov't website:

A couple thoughts:

Even IF Canada were to extend a passport expiry date, the country you travel to would NOT.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2009
318 posts
66 upvotes
Arrgh wrote: I wouldn't trouble my MP's office to do anything as trivial as handling my passport application. It'd be nice for you to get educated on what MPs do whether they are in power or not.
First of all you said MP's offices "don't handle passport applications" - wrong!
Then you said I was going to trouble my MP about something trivial as a passport application - wrong!
Now, it's "I wouldn't trouble the office".......

And I'm the one who needs to be educated?
Please give your head a shake before you post. It's embarrassing.
I certainly know what my MP does or doesn't do and after 3 years I get to make the choice of whether I want her to stay or go.

You didn't answer my question so I will repeat it? What important things is my MP supposed to be doing right now? Handing out toilet paper and hand sanitizer?