Travel

Passport Services Suspended

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 2:35 pm
Apr 8, 2020
10 posts
1 upvote
PointsHubby wrote: Passport Canada is not guaranteeing turn around times any more = https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... sport.html

Used to be BC (before Covid) about 3 weeks to a month, including time to allow for postage

Now we assume it’s longer ... based on the way their website is now structured to NEED IN LESS THAN 30 DAYS, or MORE THAN 30 DAYS

Despite all the talk of RFDERs wanting to travel during Covid ... we’ve seen very little life experience of folks applying for Passports currently and posting in this thread & others (the exception ... a few folks who are trying to return to Canada from abroad, and people deemed ESSENTIAL ... health workers, airline employees, the military, etc ). Those folks currently because of Covid, don’t fit into the “everyday” passport renewal category like the rest of us.
Thanks mate for providing this informative input. I appreciate it a lot.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1493 posts
698 upvotes
My wife and daughter applied last week in the regular category. I’ll try to find this thread when they get them to update how long it took.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6768 posts
1260 upvotes
Scarborough
I assume all the backlog has cleared from earlier this year.......now it should be new applications or renewals only.
Not sure why they’re being so vague on everything and keeping it secretive
Many People need to travel regardless of pandemic, due to various reasons.
Jun 26, 2012
284 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
As a data point, I have applied 21 business days ago. So far nothing and credit card not charged as yet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6768 posts
1260 upvotes
Scarborough
djskynet wrote: As a data point, I have applied 21 business days ago. So far nothing and credit card not charged as yet.
Did you try online inquiry or calling them to check status ??

Processing time getting ridiculous....
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4691 posts
2041 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The current wait time reminds me of sometime 15-17 years ago when the U.S. required passports and everyone went to get passports, whether they were travelling or not. Ridiculous waits ensued.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Jun 26, 2012
284 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote: Did you try online inquiry or calling them to check status ??

Processing time getting ridiculous....
I have not. I mentioned on the app I have a trip coming up in October.
Jan 3, 2013
737 posts
292 upvotes
Mississauga
Data point:

Spouse mailed in passport renewal application on Aug. 11 and received the new passport today (exactly 30 days). No travel date was specified on the renewal application.
Nov 13, 2007
82 posts
46 upvotes
I'd like to renew my little boy's passport as it expires at the end of the year. I'm just worried about sending his birth cert and other documents and praying they won't get lost, as it would be even more of a hassle to replace all these documents. Is it really a concern?
Jun 26, 2012
284 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
looking4deals1 wrote: Data point:

Spouse mailed in passport renewal application on Aug. 11 and received the new passport today (exactly 30 days). No travel date was specified on the renewal application.
If I may ask, how many days between your method of payment was charged and the reception of the passport?
Jan 3, 2013
737 posts
292 upvotes
Mississauga
djskynet wrote: If I may ask, how many days between your method of payment was charged and the reception of the passport?
Approx 7 days after payment posted on the credit card.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6768 posts
1260 upvotes
Scarborough
pookguy wrote: I'd like to renew my little boy's passport as it expires at the end of the year. I'm just worried about sending his birth cert and other documents and praying they won't get lost, as it would be even more of a hassle to replace all these documents. Is it really a concern?
Yep i got the same concerns and prefer to apply in person where they can check and return docs right away back to me.
Jun 26, 2012
284 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
looking4deals1 wrote: Approx 7 days after payment posted on the credit card.
I called them. They claim new applications and renewals are different streams. For new applications, they are still working on those received in...March
Nov 22, 2017
604 posts
349 upvotes
I don't understand why passport offices are closed. When people are allowed to visit shopping malls and other indoor locations with the proper PPE and safety procedures. Did they lay these workers off or shuffle them to another area of government?
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14612 posts
11815 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Extrahard wrote: I don't understand why passport offices are closed. When people are allowed to visit shopping malls and other indoor locations with the proper PPE and safety procedures. Did they lay these workers off or shuffle them to another area of government?
In the communities across Canada .... a lot of Passports are handled in Service Canada locations
These places are beginning to open up on limited / by appointment basis
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... anada.html

In the National Capital Region ... where the actual Passports are printed etc
Services there continue, but are even more limited
Due to social distancing & WFH Measures still in place in the Cdn Govt Public Service

It’s a case of BIG Office Buildings not being fully open
Due to the large number of individuals that work in them in close proximity
Elevator access etc

Passports have heavy controls when it comes to Security
So not something that can be done off site / WFH

As a result ... fewer people working = less work gets done
By all accounts there’s quite a large backlog
In addition to things just moving a lot slower to begin with due all the social distancing aspects

As to the question about layoffs vs reassignment
YES ... the Cdn Govt laid off a boatload of temporary workers
And some other full time employees who could work remotely ... but not in their current jobs (like Passport Canada)
Were reassigned to other admin jobs that could be done remotely

Not sure about specific workers at Passport
But do know that many such Public Servants were reassigned to work for CRA - Revenue Canada on the CERB