Passport Services Suspended

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2022 7:05 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2501 posts
708 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Won't this be a pain for people to renew if their passport expires, there is much more involved with renewing an expired passport than renewing while your existing one is still valid. They could have some up with a better way to handle this, instead of just putting a full stop. What a nightmare backlog this is going to create, and it was already nightmarish lineups in a lot of places to do renewals.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5009 upvotes
Toronto
JACKIE26 wrote: Won't this be a pain for people to renew if their passport expires, there is much more involved with renewing an expired passport than renewing while your existing one is still valid. They could have some up with a better way to handle this, instead of just putting a full stop. What a nightmare backlog this is going to create, and it was already nightmarish lineups in a lot of places to do renewals.
No. Renewing an expired passport is the same as an unexpired one, as long as it's been expired no more than a year. See:

LINK
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: No

Federal Workers are still on STAY AT HOME ORDERS

I wouldn’t expect much to move on that front until sometime in June (at the earliest )
Actually, the public servants, federal or provincial, are told to work from home, not just "stay home".
This situation baffles me.
If all those people are "working" from home, why is nothing getting done? Why are entire departments shut down when all that is supposed to happen is they are changing locations where they do their work. I get that some work requires them to get paperwork to process but, that can be arranged too. Contrary to what some folks are claiming, Canada Post and delivery services are actually doing pretty good ( have gotten stuff from Amazon as well as the US via USPS and Canada Post and got it quickly)
I say this because I live in Ottawa and there are several places in the Ottawa area (way before COVID) that have opened and are considered alternate work spaces. These are spaces that are open for public servants so they don't have to go into the office. n my area, it is a huge empty space in a shopping mall. It is (was) full all the time. If this could be done before the pandemic and work continued as usual, why is it that now, things are at a standstill? Smells bad to me :)
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote: Actually, the public servants, federal or provincial, are told to work from home, not just "stay home".
This situation baffles me.
If all those people are "working" from home, why is nothing getting done? Why are entire departments shut down when all that is supposed to happen is they are changing locations where they do their work. I get that some work requires them to get paperwork to process but, that can be arranged too. Contrary to what some folks are claiming, Canada Post and delivery services are actually doing pretty good ( have gotten stuff from Amazon as well as the US via USPS and Canada Post and got it quickly)
I say this because I live in Ottawa and there are several places in the Ottawa area (way before COVID) that have opened and are considered alternate work spaces. These are spaces that are open for public servants so they don't have to go into the office. n my area, it is a huge empty space in a shopping mall. It is (was) full all the time. If this could be done before the pandemic and work continued as usual, why is it that now, things are at a standstill? Smells bad to me :)
Ya I should have been more specific in my wording ...

For most, the Stay @ Home Order also means Work From Home

Albeit some jobs, even in the Public Service cannot be done on line

Don’t know the specifics to things @ Passport Canada (Lol don’t have any friends working there any more)

But do know like other Depts, ... Customs, Revenue, Foreign Affairs, Defence, Finance, Justice etc ... there was a time when very little data or materials was allowed beyond the building (or in some cases beyond your work station / floor ) ... unlike say Agriculture, Mining, Environment etc ... where it was far easier to work off site.

Didn’t matter if the person had TOP SECRET clearance ... the data / paperwork still couldn’t leave the building.

I imagine that MIGHT BE an issue with Passport data too. Esp so as the website clearly says URGENT Passport Requests only being taken.

Not as “plugged in” now as I used to be. So don’t know what is & isnt available online these days. Or how many public servants are actually working online ... or how many are going into their usual workplaces ... anywhere in the country, including Ottawa. Due to potential Covid germs spread etc.

Also familiar (a bit) with the satellite offices ... and no doubt they would have the same issues with Covid 19 & Physical Distancing too. Are they even open now ?

At any rate ... I don’t see it as the end of the world ... when Passport Services resume things will come back on line very quickly.

Actually I envision it will be a case of the Services Re-Opening (even if just by mail / courier) ... well before the border does, or air travel resumes to any great extent.

Right now, it’s not quite as big a deal when you figure out your passport is expired / expiring ... but ya truly cannot use it to go anywhere anyhow
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: Ya I should have been more specific in my wording ...

For most, the Stay @ Home Order also means Work From Home

Albeit some jobs, even in the Public Service cannot be done on line

............. the data / paperwork still couldn’t leave the building.

........ Or how many public servants are actually working online ... or how many are going into their usual workplaces ... anywhere in the country, including Ottawa. .....
Also familiar (a bit) with the satellite offices ... and no doubt they would have the same issues with Covid 19 & Physical Distancing too. Are they even open now ?
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
My point was that there hundred thousand public servants (federal only, i don't know how many provincial or municipal) at home, supposedly working online......?
The off site work centers are closed.
The fact the off site work centers are even there and often full indicates a lot more can be done online than before.
I used to work from home when I was in cancer treatment. They gave my laptop software and secure connections so, I am quite sure there is not too much that cannot be done at home.
Hence my question "Why are entire departments shut down when all that is supposed to happen is they are changing locations where they do their work." and all those people getting paid too.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote: My point was that there hundred thousand public servants (federal only, i don't know how many provincial or municipal) at home, supposedly working online......?
The off site work centers are closed.
The fact the off site work centers are even there and often full indicates a lot more can be done online than before.
I used to work from home when I was in cancer treatment. They gave my laptop software and secure connections so, I am quite sure there is not too much that cannot be done at home.
Hence my question "Why are entire departments shut down when all that is supposed to happen is they are changing locations where they do their work." and all those people getting paid too.
I hear you ... it’s a question for sure

Still would be interesting though to hear from a current public servant (Particularly clerical ) who works in one of my aforementioned list of Depts that tend to have higher security issues ... sometimes due to Privacy Laws ... and some just to more hard copy paperwork etc

Are these folks actually working on the stuff they’d normally do @ a Govt Bldg

Like Tax Returns for example ... know that Revenue Canada has extended the Tax Filing Deadline for Cdns. So what are the clerical staff at Rev Canada doing during Covid (regular staff ... not the seasonal part timers ... who no doubt got laid off ). Imagine few Cdns are filing now given the extension. So what are those folks doing now that workload is down to a dribble ?

Same with Passports ... the offices are closed. So what is their frontline & clerical staff doing ... seeing as the incoming documentation is down.

Questions that Pete you and I will prob never get an answer to.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: I hear you ... it’s a question for sure

Still would be interesting though to hear from a current public servant (Particularly clerical ) who works in one of my aforementioned list of Depts that tend to have higher security issues ... sometimes due to Privacy Laws ... and some just to more hard copy paperwork etc

Are these folks actually working on the stuff they’d normally do @ a Govt Bldg

Like Tax Returns for example ... know that Revenue Canada has extended the Tax Filing Deadline for Cdns. So what are the clerical staff at Rev Canada doing during Covid (regular staff ... not the seasonal part timers ... who no doubt got laid off ). Imagine few Cdns are filing now given the extension. So what are those folks doing now that workload is down to a dribble ?

Same with Passports ... the offices are closed. So what is their frontline & clerical staff doing ... seeing as the incoming documentation is down.

Questions that Pete you and I will prob never get an answer to.
I have relatives and close friends still in the public service here. Most log in every morning and leave the computer on and do very little,. One is in the clerical field and has nothing to do. A couple are higher level with high security clearances and they can work as usual except there isn't much t do.
I did my taxes a little more than a week ago and got my return in my bank today.
So, I think they can do things as quickly as before for 90% of government business and passports can be done quickly too at normal speed too.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
We can takeout food, do pickups for alit of stuff why cant pickup passports ? Using same logic of physical distancing
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
Swerny wrote: bump
A couple weeks ago they used the same excuse for not sending the passports. I am tempted to call in. The things started to move even Canada Post backlog doesn't seem to be that terrible.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
What are reasons people need these passports? It's not like you're going back to your 'home' country with your home passport. These dates are far out. Is there some kind of wedding or party?

Just because you can get a flight to someplace doesn't mean you'll be issued the proper visa to enter.

I for one am glad to see international travel shutdown as this is the main way the virus has spreaded. Like many people who have had to cancel, postpone, eat some costs, such is the cost of dealing with this travel related pandemic.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1071 posts
631 upvotes
Midland
at1212b wrote: What are reasons people need these passports? It's not like you're going back to your 'home' country with your home passport. These dates are far out. Is there some kind of wedding or party?

Just because you can get a flight to someplace doesn't mean you'll be issued the proper visa to enter.

I for one am glad to see international travel shutdown as this is the main way the virus has spreaded. Like many people who have had to cancel, postpone, eat some costs, such is the cost of dealing with this travel related pandemic.
I need my passport for school as I study over seas... They told me that’s not a good enough excuse .... This Is way far right mentality but that is not democracy having to provide a excuse to leave the country. Pretty sure passports are essential service before a hair cut.

Anyways it sucks I won’t be able to intern this year.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
at1212b wrote: What are reasons people need these passports? It's not like you're going back to your 'home' country with your home passport. These dates are far out. Is there some kind of wedding or party?

And let's say you have a family emergency? And usually emergencies asks for travels within days. What do you do then?

Yeah, ok, let's close all the borders and stay here!

Slowly the borders are opening. It's part of the economy that needs to come back. And many of the immigrants here need to reconnect with their families.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Energie11 wrote:
I need my passport for school as I study over seas... They told me that’s not a good enough excuse .... This Is way far right mentality but that is not democracy having to provide a excuse to leave the country. Pretty sure passports are essential service before a hair cut.

Anyways it sucks I won’t be able to intern this year.
You sound quite American with your 'liberty' which by the way, Canada's Constitution does not guarantee. What if the Democracy (majority) is pleased to vote against your wish to travel abroad? Isn't that Democracy?

Intern as in a job? Again, sorry to say, but many others have lost jobs or their businesses too.

If the school doesn't provide any other sort of alternative study arrangements, I'd say that's a shady school to begin with. And again, that country may not even issue you the proper Visa for you to stay.
Harpagon wrote: And let's say you have a family emergency? And usually emergencies asks for travels within days. What do you do then?

Yeah, ok, let's close all the borders and stay here!

Slowly the borders are opening. It's part of the economy that needs to come back. And many of the immigrants here need to reconnect with their families.
Nice try but these cases I've referred to relate to long-dated plans (September and December).

And according to the website, emergency reasons are allowed to be processed which I didn't say I was 'glad' they're shut down.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... sport.html
Valid urgent travel reasons include if you’re travelling

-for a medical reason because you have a serious illness
-because of the serious illness or death of someone you know
-because you’ll have financial problems from the loss of a job or business
-to support an essential service
-for humanitarian reasons
You need a letter from your organization that lists the humanitarian reason

And yes, I agree.. we should "STAY" here with borders closed.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
at1212b wrote: You sound quite American with your 'liberty' which by the way, Canada's Constitution does not guarantee. What if the Democracy (majority) is pleased to vote against your wish to travel abroad? Isn't that Democracy?

Intern as in a job? Again, sorry to say, but many others have lost jobs or their businesses too.

If the school doesn't provide any other sort of alternative study arrangements, I'd say that's a shady school to begin with. And again, that country may not even issue you the proper Visa for you to stay.
Nice try but these cases I've referred to relate to long-dated plans (September and December).

And according to the website, emergency reasons are allowed to be processed which I didn't say I was 'glad' they're shut down.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... sport.html
Valid urgent travel reasons include if you’re travelling

-for a medical reason because you have a serious illness
-because of the serious illness or death of someone you know
-because you’ll have financial problems from the loss of a job or business
-to support an essential service
-for humanitarian reasons
You need a letter from your organization that lists the humanitarian reason

And yes, I agree.. we should "STAY" here with borders closed.
We are getting a little political here, but I'll argue on that. Freedom of movement is not chosen by "democracy", it's a fundamental right. Lately the "demos" have been really corrupted with non moral mentalities. I WANT TO HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO WHEREVER I WANT. If you like to be imposed by your government to stay "at home" you still have a few options in North Korea, probably China a few other nice countries.

I most parts of the world a funeral is done 3 days after death. How far do you think the government employees could help you with the passport? Good forbidden something happens on a weekend.

I was being extremely sarcastic when I said we should stay.

I perfectly understood the medical situation, but for the time being I think receiving the passports it's just postponed by the laziness of the government employees.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Harpagon wrote: We are getting a little political here, but I'll argue on that. Freedom of movement is not chosen by "democracy", it's a fundamental right. Lately the "demos" have been really corrupted with non moral mentalities. I WANT TO HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO WHEREVER I WANT. If you like to be imposed by your government to stay "at home" you still have a few options in North Korea, probably China a few other nice countries.

I most parts of the world a funeral is done 3 days after death. How far do you think the government employees could help you with the passport? Good forbidden something happens on a weekend.

I was being extremely sarcastic when I said we should stay.

I perfectly understood the medical situation, but for the time being I think receiving the passports it's just postponed by the laziness of the government employees.
The nature of this topic is political. Lol, do you realize that it is the receiving country that requires the passport? Hence they are the ones denying you. Not Canada. There was a time when you could go to the US without a passport. But it was the US that decided passports are required for Canadians.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
at1212b wrote: The nature of this topic is political. Lol, do you realize that it is the receiving country that requires the passport? Hence they are the ones denying you. Not Canada. There was a time when you could go to the US without a passport. But it was the US that decided passports are required for Canadians.
You see that's where you are very wrong my friend. The passport is required as a common ID that has value in another country. There are protocols among countries that don't require passport, it's not like a country choose to ask or not for passport.

You remind me of the communists. Back in my home country they were allowing you to travel. But they were not giving you a passport. Therefore, freedom at it's finest :(.

We should look more into history, we could learn a lot.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Harpagon wrote: You see that's where you are very wrong my friend. The passport is required as a common ID that has value in another country. There are protocols among countries that don't require passport, it's not like a country choose to ask or not for passport.

You remind me of the communists. Back in my home country they were allowing you to travel. But they were not giving you a passport. Therefore, freedom at it's finest :(.

We should look more into history, we could learn a lot.
That's a 'common' definition from another country that Canada does not take into account. You can still travel within Canada (communist countries often ask for papers to travel internally). And yes, other country 'chooses' to ask for a passport. That's their choice like the way the US made their choice for us Canadians.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
at1212b wrote: That's a 'common' definition from another country that Canada does not take into account. You can still travel within Canada (communist countries often ask for papers to travel internally). And yes, other country 'chooses' to ask for a passport. That's their choice like the way the US made their choice for us Canadians.
Wrong wrong wrong! Canada requires passport for travelling. The law clearly states you cannot leave Canada if you have dual citizenship with another country's passport.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Harpagon wrote: Wrong wrong wrong! Canada requires passport for travelling. The law clearly states you cannot leave Canada if you have dual citizenship with another country's passport.
Can a person not visit the US with a Nexus pass or an Enhanced driver's license?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Harpagon wrote: Wrong wrong wrong! Canada requires passport for travelling. The law clearly states you cannot leave Canada if you have dual citizenship with another country's passport.
More like, you cannot re-enter Canada using the citizenship of another country if you are a Canadian too. My wife is a dual USA/Canada citizen. To enter the USA she *must* present only her American passport to CBP. On her return to Canada she *must* present only her Canadian passport to CBSA. If she tries to come back to Canada with just her American passport and claims she's just visiting, that would be illegal.