Passport Services Suspended

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 12:24 pm
Sep 23, 2009
446 posts
65 upvotes
YYZ (GTA)
Armeee wrote: Canadian gov't website:

"Passport services at all Service Canada offices are suspended until further notice".

I take it that means you can't mail in your passport application/renewal either.

A couple thoughts:
Will your current passport be extended beyond the expiry date?
This will create such a backlog of applications when they finally are up and running.

Anyone have any insight as to more information about this?
A CND passport validity date cannot be extended or renewed. You must apply for a new passport which can be valid for maximum 10 years. For a simpler application process, make sure your current passport has expired one year or less.
Sep 23, 2009
446 posts
65 upvotes
YYZ (GTA)
zod wrote: That's not entirely accurate. It's the land borders that are closed. People can still fly over the border?
Restrictions are for all non-essential cross border travels which also include air.
Temp. Banned
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Lol, more than the Passport Office to open
You need the US Border to open ... before your trip in December
Doubt that’s gonna happen anytime soon

So the passport may be a moot point
The US border is wide open to all Canadians, as long as they fly in.
Temp. Banned
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
iluvagooddeal wrote: Restrictions are for all non-essential cross border travels which also include air.
Nothing prevents any Canadian from flying outside of the country for any reason.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9725 posts
1840 upvotes
Victoria
iluvagooddeal wrote: Restrictions are for all non-essential cross border travels which also include air.
I think that's a Canadian law that you are quoting which has little impact. From what I read the US is permitting Canadians to fly to the US (hence why airline companies are still selling tickets to the US). As long as you can get to the US, our rules say Canadians can cross the border to come home, so it's de facto legal?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4172 posts
3449 upvotes
Toronto
Officially, Canadians can't do any non-essential travel to the U.S. Unofficially, the U.S. will allow you in via air and only if you haven't visited certain countries recently. It makes no sense and many people who hear about it don't believe it, but media have been reporting this loophole for the past couple of months. For example: LINK

But why would you go there (with such higher rate and disregard of COVID dangers, and it's only getting worse) unless it's essential?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8675 posts
3139 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: But why would you go there (with such higher rate and disregard of COVID dangers, and it's only getting worse) unless it's essential?
Many morons, I mean people in US are holding Covid parties. They welcome more morons, I mean people, to join those Covid parties.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2317 posts
1117 upvotes
Ottawa
Arrgh wrote: Many morons, I mean people in US are holding Covid parties. They welcome more morons, I mean people, to join those Covid parties.
Like Chicken Pox parties or parties that say this all is a hoax? If the former there is some logic. That said you don't want to get sick in the US. That's for sure.
Sep 23, 2009
446 posts
65 upvotes
YYZ (GTA)
zod wrote: I think that's a Canadian law that you are quoting which has little impact. From what I read the US is permitting Canadians to fly to the US (hence why airline companies are still selling tickets to the US). As long as you can get to the US, our rules say Canadians can cross the border to come home, so it's de facto legal?
Legal to fly in and always with exceptions but needs self quarantine for 14 days. Some just don't care as soon as they lands.
Jul 13, 2007
971 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
iluvagooddeal wrote:

Legal to fly in and always with exceptions but needs self quarantine for 14 days. Some just don't care as soon as they lands.
Quarantine only required when returning to Canada. No requirements for most of the US. Some states have restrictions, but I don't keep up with that.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
Stryker wrote: 11,000 passports stuck in limbo now en route to Canadians

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchene ... -1.5646947
So the passports were ready but only that canadapost refused to provide mailing/delivery services ??
Meanwhile it was ok to deliever everything else from everywhere eh (like bills and packages).

Are they open now? Why not open with plexiglass shields installed?
People can get haircuts, dentist appointments, have patio food but no service by CIC, thats pathetic
May 25, 2019
339 posts
269 upvotes
I talked to passport canada on the phone today and they said they might be open end of next month
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
Anyone who really needs it urgently can always call them and/or fillout the form on their website for a callback to see if they can get it issued
But i think its time they open up with protective shields installed. Grocery stores can do it, banks do it, why not passport office.
Time for them to do their jobs
Temp. Banned
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: Anyone who really needs it urgently can always call them and/or fillout the form on their website for a callback to see if they can get it issued
But i think its time they open up with protective shields installed. Grocery stores can do it, banks do it, why not passport office.
Time for them to do their jobs
They're not closed because they're worried about the security of the employees. They're closed because they want to make as difficult as possible for any Canadian to leave the country without having to enact a law forbidding it explicitly.