Passport Services Suspended

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 2:35 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14624 posts
11839 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mcbg1 wrote: They're not closed because they're worried about the security of the employees. They're closed because they want to make as difficult as possible for any Canadian to leave the country without having to enact a law forbidding it explicitly.
FAKE NEWS

You don’t know what you are talking about

The majority of Ottawa’s Public Servants who work primarily in office jobs are not back in the office
They are working still from home
And it may very well be that way for months to come

Due to security reasons / Passport Controls ... these documents are not allowed OFF SITE

So until a good number of the staff go back to work ON SITE

There aren’t gonna be a whole lot of Passports issued. Period

Need one URGENTLY ... then there’s a process for that in place
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... ports.html
May 25, 2019
339 posts
269 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: FAKE NEWS

The majority of Ottawa’s Public Servants who work primarily in office jobs are not back in the office

Due to security reasons / Passport Controls ... these documents are not allowed OFF SITE

Except most public servants dont need to be in an office to do their jobs. Passport canada on the other hand....
Temp. Banned
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: FAKE NEWS

This measure as well as the quarantine act are simply there as deterrent to prevent people from leaving the country. There is no other reason.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14624 posts
11839 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mcbg1 wrote: This measure as well as the quarantine act are simply there as deterrent to prevent people from leaving the country. There is no other reason.
Lol, of course it is :rolleyes:
Clearly you are nothing more than another Conspiracy Theorist who believes whatever they want to believe TRUMPS a little thing called truth

FYI - The origins of the modern Quarantine Act go back to 1919
Long before the modern travel era of commercial aviation began after WW II
So again ... you have NO IDEA what you are talking about

The Quarantine Act is there to protect ALL Cdns from the spread of communicable disease.
Even you.
And I defend that, Even though you don’t appreciate, the sacrifices others are making on your behalf
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15486 posts
4619 upvotes
London
PointsHubby wrote: ..
The Quarantine Act is there to protect ALL Cdns from the spread of communicable disease.
Even you. And I defend that, Even though you don’t appreciate, the sacrifices others are making on your behalf
Looks like your buddy earned a temp ban

Anyway back to the topic:

It looks like Service Canada in ON are starting to reopen as part of Phase 3. The ones in London are suppose to be open by the end of the month, but passport services still will not be available until later

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/whe ... n-soon-ish

“The aim is to have Service Canada open in London once again within the next couple of weeks, or certainly by the end of the month,” Fragiskatos said. “The work that is being done is to ensure offices have in place the necessary equipment, the health and safety tools they need for the safety of staff and safety of citizens, as well.”.....

...... Passport and biometrics services (fingerprints and photos) will not be available during the first phase of the reopening of the centres.

“The return of in‑person public access to Service Canada offices will build on the new services ‎that were implemented and will continue to provide convenient support to those clients who need assistance in accessing our benefits and services,” Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, said in a statement....

Most of the frequent international travelers I know of would have renewed their passport well before the Covid shutdown (i.e. If their passport expires in October 2020, they would have renewed it starting starting around Oct/ Nov 2019, maybe Dec at the latest). They would not have waited until Feb 2020 to renew a passport that expires in Oct 2020.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14624 posts
11839 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
l69norm wrote: Looks like your buddy earned a temp ban

Anyway back to the topic:

It looks like Service Canada in ON are starting to reopen as part of Phase 3. The ones in London are suppose to be open by the end of the month, but passport services still will not be available until later

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/whe ... n-soon-ish

“The aim is to have Service Canada open in London once again within the next couple of weeks, or certainly by the end of the month,” Fragiskatos said. “The work that is being done is to ensure offices have in place the necessary equipment, the health and safety tools they need for the safety of staff and safety of citizens, as well.”.....

...... Passport and biometrics services (fingerprints and photos) will not be available during the first phase of the reopening of the centres.

“The return of in‑person public access to Service Canada offices will build on the new services ‎that were implemented and will continue to provide convenient support to those clients who need assistance in accessing our benefits and services,” Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, said in a statement....

Most of the frequent international travelers I know of would have renewed their passport well before the Covid shutdown (i.e. If their passport expires in October 2020, they would have renewed it starting starting around Oct/ Nov 2019, maybe Dec at the latest). They would not have waited until Feb 2020 to renew a passport that expires in Oct 2020.
Ya as was always the plan.

Ontario Phase 3 = Offices beginning to reopen
(WHY people haven’t understood that ... I don’t comprehend. Before Phase 3 only EMERGENCIES were deemed ESSENTIAL ... be that a Dentist visit or the need to get a Passport issued )

It is my understanding that Govt of Canada Offices are beginning to reopen
(the actual buildings / facilities ... not just employees WFH )
But it’s all staged to work around Covid
So less people at the office, physical distancing etc

That’s a big deal for example @ Passport Canada in Ottawa where the office alone is in a high rise with other Govt Offices ... where 1000s of people work normally ... elevator banks, shared public spaces in the concourse, etc. Never mind the 100s of people who normally come thru the Passport Office on a daily basis.

Plus, as I have said before ... Passport Controls are HUGE
There are major security issues to producing a passport
They don’t just whip them up on a desktop printer
There is a federal printer ... and tons of security (much like currency printing ala The Mint)

As to renewals ...

I think like anything else ... people have different ways / styles in doing stuff

We tend to flag our Passports once we notice we are at the 1 year mark
And then actually PLAN OUT when being WITHOUT A PASSPORT would be workable
Usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to get a Passport Renewal Done
If you choose in person drop off & pick up
But OUR PLAN is a window of at least 4 to 6 weeks where we have no travels on the calendar

Last renewal, we did it around the 4 year + 3 month mark
Thankfully our new passport is for 10 years ... so won’t have to worry about it for quite some time

I think, where people get caught ... is they wait til the last minute
Either not aware of their Passport Expiry Date (one should always check ... BEFORE one books)
Or else, as I have discovered on RFD, a lot of folks hold out to the last possible minute
Cuz they feel it’s the best way to get the most out of what they paid for their old a Passport
Cuz there is no rebate / pro rate ... if you renew prior to the Expiry Date

I got to admit ... I found it peculiar when I first found out how many RFDers begrudge that
As it seems crazy to me

And now look ... a bunch of them in their thriftiness ... have no doubt been caught out over it during Covid
Now in possession of an expired passport
Which will hold up their travels even longer once things return to normal
Oct 27, 2012
863 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
I was about to renew my passport in March, as even though I have 3 years to go, had no more blank pages.

With travel on indefinite hold, no qualms with holding on to the current one and stretching out as much time out of it as I can.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15486 posts
4619 upvotes
London
PointsHubby wrote: ..
Either not aware of their Passport Expiry Date (one should always check ... BEFORE one books)
Or else, as I have discovered on RFD, a lot of folks hold out to the last possible minute
Cuz they feel it’s the best way to get the most out of what they paid for their old a Passport
Cuz there is no rebate / pro rate ... if you renew prior to the Expiry Date...
I'm also not sure if there is a cross contamination prevention issue with identification documents (i.e. Since the passport clerks have to examine presented identification documents closely, what protocols are needed to prevent cross contamination from a previous customers' identification documents onto your identification documents.)
Aug 15, 2011
194 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
mcbg1 wrote: This measure as well as the quarantine act are simply there as deterrent to prevent people from leaving the country. There is no other reason.
Well they cannot use the law to stop us from flying out. They can try to close the border all they want but if you have a passport they can't stop you from engaging with commercial airlines that will sell you tickets to countries that will let you in.

Anyways, I'm seriously considering renewing my other passport that's 25 years old. I never considered my other nationality would ever help me much lmao, but the embassy is open
And of course the funny thing, is that if I manage to leave the country (legally) then I would finally be able to renew my passport at a Canadian embassy outside of Canada. The irony!!!

I also applied for Nexus with just my certificate of citizenship and have an appointment next month. Was probably easy because I was able to answer no to the question 'have you been anywhere other than Canada, USA or Mexico in the last 5 years?' ...so I'm mostly joking about my apparent dual nationality lol. But goddamn I have been in Mississauga way too long! I love visiting the states though :)
Edit: Oh that appointment got cancelled today. They were opening in Augest but "Out of an abundance of caution, all U.S. Customs and Border Protection Trusted Traveler Enrollment Centers will suspend operations until at least September 8, 2020. You may choose to rebook for a time slot after that date. Thank you."
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6768 posts
1260 upvotes
Scarborough
Its a great idea to get your other nationality set up and get its passport now....cuz u never know when it comes handy
Govt needs to open its offices with plexiglass shields already and start working for canadians
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6768 posts
1260 upvotes
Scarborough
Have services resumed in stage 3 yet ??
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1946 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
One thing they could do is have the option of having the photos done digitally. It really would make sense in these times and also save some money at the same time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8361 posts
1249 upvotes
Vancouver
cardle wrote: One thing they could do is have the option of having the photos done digitally. It really would make sense in these times and also save some money at the same time.
Might sound simple but this is the federal government. Process changes would take a lot of discussion as well as technical ramifications, security considerations, RFP being issued for the consulting tech implementation.

Could already be being discussed but this isn’t like dealing with a business.

Also when all is said and and I’m almost sure it would cost more or have a very long break even.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1946 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote: Might sound simple but this is the federal government. Process changes would take a lot of discussion as well as technical ramifications, security considerations, RFP being issued for the consulting tech implementation.

Could already be being discussed but this isn’t like dealing with a business.

Also when all is said and and I’m almost sure it would cost more or have a very long break even.
Other countries manage ok with it.