Passport Services Suspended

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 9:48 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1948 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
I renewed my PR card last year and went to SDM for the photo as I was in a rush to get the application in. I had the photo done there and they checked and I checked that everything was fine with it.

About a month after sending the application in, I get the whole application returned because the photo didn't meet requirements. So I went to get the photo in a convenience store and I then compared both photos and they were near enough identical and that one ended up getting approved.

I googled about photo rejections and for PR cards it happens more than you think and the theory is that they can't keep with the renewals so they throw in a photo rejection which gives the application a 'legitimate' delay. It wouldn't surprise me if that was true.

How much easier this situation would be if the photo could have been done online.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8366 posts
1251 upvotes
Vancouver
cardle wrote: Other countries manage ok with it.
A lot of other countries do things a lot better then us.

If you’ve worked on Federal government projects you’d understand. They often don’t go smoothly either. Just my two cents. It didn’t happen and I’m not surprised.

Not disagreeing with your idea. Just the timing of it with covid pressures to boot.
Autocorrect sucks
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3822 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: Its a great idea to get your other nationality set up and get its passport now....cuz u never know when it comes handy
Govt needs to open its offices with plexiglass shields already and start working for canadians
Agree.

Having 2 passports is great
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1519 posts
704 upvotes
So my understanding from reading the website is they’ll process any passport renewals or applications by mail but expect delays. If you want one in 30 days or less you have to convince some government employee that it’s urgent.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14646 posts
11855 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
benjicash wrote: So my understanding from reading the website is they’ll process any passport renewals or applications by mail but expect delays. If you want one in 30 days or less you have to convince some government employee that it’s urgent.
Is just a case of Renewing ... or are you actually travelling ?

Renewals without a firm travel date have now been extended for an additional year ... so you have 2 years from Expiry Date without the penalty of having to go back thru the NEW Application process.

If your Passport is expiring soon, and you are travelling within the next 30 days, with a firm date, reservations made, etc. And it’s an URGENT Reason. Then yes you can apply for a renewal. As always, there may an additional charge ... and the cost increases based on how short the turn around required

If it’s just regular travel ... and longer than 30 Days out. Then you can use their mail in service to get your passport renewed.

The ONLY IN PERSON SERVICES right now, are for those who need a passport in under 30 Days (URGENT Travel).

All the info is on the website
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1519 posts
704 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Is just a case of Renewing ... or are you actually travelling ?

Renewals without a firm travel date have now been extended for an additional year ... so you have 2 years from Expiry Date without the penalty of having to go back thru the NEW Application process.

If your Passport is expiring soon, and you are travelling within the next 30 days, with a firm date, reservations made, etc. And it’s an URGENT Reason. Then yes you can apply for a renewal. As always, there may an additional charge ... and the cost increases based on how short the turn around required

If it’s just regular travel ... and longer than 30 Days out. Then you can use their mail in service to get your passport renewed.

The ONLY IN PERSON SERVICES right now, are for those who need a passport in under 30 Days (URGENT Travel).

All the info is on the website
Yep. Pretty much what I said. We have travel booked for December that was booked before COVID started. My wife’s passport expires this month.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14646 posts
11855 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
benjicash wrote: Yep. Pretty much what I said. We have travel booked for December that was booked before COVID started. My wife’s passport expires this month.
So apply now by mail in the NON URGENT category
You should have no problems ... other than slower than normal processing
(Prob 30 to 45 days vs the normal 20 days for Mail Applications + Postage time )

Just like always, the Renewal Form asks if you have any booked travel ... and the date

This is logged into the system when they receive your application, and dates are monitored ... so those who have travel booked are given a higher priority (within reason)

With 3-1/2 months lead time until December you’ll be fine

Just make copies of everything ... including any original documentation
And send by REGISTERED MAIL
Aug 13, 2020
7 posts
1 upvote
I was able to renew my child's passport in about 3 days. Mine and wifes valid. But I'm in essential work category who can get visas to countries supposedly closed.
May 7, 2018
4 posts
4 upvotes
Passport services want you to wait for when we are back to normal. Everyone says we won't ever be going back to normal, even the government. I have just ordered a passport for my newborn baby and get out of this crazy country before next winter (the next flu season).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1375 posts
556 upvotes
demersfinancial wrote: Passport services want you to wait for when we are back to normal. Everyone says we won't ever be going back to normal, even the government. I have just ordered a passport for my newborn baby and get out of this crazy country before next winter (the next flu season).
And where are you going that you think will be safer than Canada? Obviously this government hasn't done the best, but they're far from the worst.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6769 posts
1261 upvotes
Scarborough
demersfinancial wrote: Passport services want you to wait for when we are back to normal. Everyone says we won't ever be going back to normal, even the government. I have just ordered a passport for my newborn baby and get out of this crazy country before next winter (the next flu season).
How did you apply ?
Did you give a date of travel or reason?

I wanna apply for my son as well in a couple of months.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3822 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: How did you apply ?

Probably his dual citizenship embassy or consulate
Jun 26, 2012
284 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote: How did you apply ?

In mail applications have re-opened. No need for any reason. Travel dates are optional too.
Apr 8, 2020
10 posts
1 upvote
How long does it take to get the passport when you apply by mail?
I mean the whole process duration from sending it by mail and them issuing the passport and sending it back by mail.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14646 posts
11855 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Howdydaudy wrote: How long does it take to get the passport when you apply by mail?
I mean the whole process duration from sending it by mail and them issuing the passport and sending it back by mail.
Passport Canada is not guaranteeing turn around times any more = https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... sport.html

Used to be BC (before Covid) about 3 weeks to a month, including time to allow for postage

Now we assume it’s longer ... based on the way their website is now structured to NEED IN LESS THAN 30 DAYS, or MORE THAN 30 DAYS

Despite all the talk of RFDERs wanting to travel during Covid ... we’ve seen very little life experience of folks applying for Passports currently and posting in this thread & others (the exception ... a few folks who are trying to return to Canada from abroad, and people deemed ESSENTIAL ... health workers, airline employees, the military, etc ). Those folks currently because of Covid, don’t fit into the “everyday” passport renewal category like the rest of us.