• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2021 3:17 pm
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
603 posts
279 upvotes

Password Manager Recommendation?

Hi

I was using lastpass for 10 years, but switched to bitwarden when they released emergency access as this became a feature I wanted to use and bitwarden was a lot cheaper than lastpass.

I been on bitwarden for around 7 months now and I am just not that impressed with it. I find many times on my phone it does not popup and I find even the bitwarden app to be a bit slow.

On my desktop again half the time when I am on a new website it won't ask me to autosave my information and I have to first add the login manually. I also don't like how I have to go to the bitwarden icon to login each time as well instead of with last pass if I was not logged in I would be prompted.

Since then lastpass basically has nerfed the free plan and this has annoyed me that I really don't want to support them but I am just not sure if I will find anything that meets my needs.

I am willing to pay for the program and most likely would sign up under a family plan as I want features like sharing passwords and hopefully emergency accesses.

It needs to be pretty polished as I am still trying to get my wife to use password managers instead of using the same password over and over again or slight modifications of it. This is another area where bitwarden failed.

Dashlane

I am currently evaluating dashlane but I am not impressed with it.
  • could not import bitwarden (just kept failing with the csv I made)
  • have still not figured out how to activate 2FA
  • can't organize passwords into my own folders
  • at least on the edge plugin I can't see how to ignore saving of certain sites, or stop prompting me to save certain information on site.
  • emails my questions to support 3 days ago and still no answer

so not sure if I will go with dashlane.

1Password

I hear good things about it being easy to use but since no free mode, it not as easy to see if it good.

I know it does not have emergancy mode, but some kit that can help recover it so not sure if that will meet my needs.

Also sharing seems a bit different you have vaults and then you can share them? I am not sure if you make a shared vault under your family account if you can choose who can see those shared passwords or if all the family sees it.

Most family plans are just individual accounts but 1password seems to be a true shared account.

Right now feeling like I might have to go back to lastpass unless someone has some suggestions or how to make the other ones work better.
26 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15536 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
My suggestion is to forget about these things and setup some coding format for your passwords. This way it is unique for different sites and easy for you to use.

Password applications are one of the first things cybercrooks hack as they know it is a goldmine.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2336 posts
1357 upvotes
Calgary
hightech wrote: Password applications are one of the first things cybercrooks hack as they know it is a goldmine.
..... Despite this, LastPass is really the only one that's been hacked.

I self-host my own Bitwarden_rs server. Works great for my needs and the odds of someone actually finding it are pretty low.
Dec 6, 2020
545 posts
541 upvotes
It strikes me as completely and utterly crazy to use any kind of cloud-based password manager. The risks of compromise are just too great.

Use a locally-installed open source tool, such as KeypassXC or PasswordSafe. If you need multi-device access, put the (encrypted) password database on OneDrive.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1399 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
If you are going with a cloud based manager, probably not a good idea to cheap out on it. I personally pay for 1Password Family just for the security and the convenience of cloud access.
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
603 posts
279 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: If you are going with a cloud based manager, probably not a good idea to cheap out on it. I personally pay for 1Password Family just for the security and the convenience of cloud access.
have you tried other password managers like lastpass and give a comparison. Like I said people seem to like 1Password and I am looking at 1PasswordFamily. It does not have the emergancy feature though I do understand there reasoning as I guess there paper way is a bit more secure?

How is it with sharing vaults?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1399 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
1Password from what I know takes an immense amount of effort in ensuring the security of your data. Even the browser plugin, has special protection to ensure it cannot be hacked like in the case of LastPass.

No clue what the emergency feature, not that features are of much concern to me. My main concern is data security and 1Password seems to take that very seriously.

Sharing of vaults works great for me. I have one shared with whole family, one for the house, etc etc
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6115 posts
1358 upvotes
Montreal
There's Sticky Password which I've depended on for more than 10 years. It's very good for windows but a bit cludgy for Android.
There's a free version which is full featured except for cloud syncing and less automatic syncing with all your devices.
The paid version makes it easier to sync. It goes on sale for something in the $20 to $25 US range a few times per year.
Quite a few people on RFD have implemented. Most like it. Others not so much.

If interested check out the various threads on it in RFD.

Here's one to get you started:

stacksocial-sticky-password-premium-lif ... #p34280508
Phils
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
603 posts
279 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: 1Password from what I know takes an immense amount of effort in ensuring the security of your data. Even the browser plugin, has special protection to ensure it cannot be hacked like in the case of LastPass.

No clue what the emergency feature, not that features are of much concern to me. My main concern is data security and 1Password seems to take that very seriously.

Sharing of vaults works great for me. I have one shared with whole family, one for the house, etc etc
Yeah I heard they take security pretty serious and that is why no emergency feature was implemented. Basically if you would die or something a person you designated as an emergency contact can request access to your vault after a set amount of time (set by you). Once that time has passed they will get access to your account.

I like that for my family members who I don't want to be sharing a vault of my passwords with but if something would happen to me they still could access all my important accounts.

I heard they don't do this because this would mean they would have to know some more information about your master password in order to allow the person to open your vault. I guessing other ones do it in a way that your password is not exposed or stored but from my understanding I guess it opens more of the possibility of your master password being compromised.

1Password has some emergency kit that you basically just fill it in and if someone got hold of that paper they have everything they need to get into your account. I guess if you put in a safety security box or hide it somewhere it can be safer as it is physically and less people could attempt to steal it.

Have you tried 1Password8 they switched to electron I heard and people are not happy about that.
Jan 15, 2010
539 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
Take a look at Roboform. Been using it for many years. Looks like it coveres all of your requirements too.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1399 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
jimbob12341 wrote: Have you tried 1Password8 they switched to electron I heard and people are not happy about that.
I would advise steering clear of that. I have zero trust in Web Rendering Engines, JS, Electron etc. Used to make apps using PhoneGap/Cordova (the tech behind Electron apps) back in 2014, so I have a very good idea of the security model in place.

Plus the performance issues
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3106 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I recommend Bitwarden. Replaced 1Password for me. Premium service is cheap for the year and it offers key features I want like OTP integration.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4321 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
Chrispy wrote: I recommend Bitwarden. Replaced 1Password for me. Premium service is cheap for the year and it offers key features I want like OTP integration.
This! Been using it for a year and it's great.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Oct 12, 2005
292 posts
92 upvotes
Markham, ON
Redmask wrote: I self-host Bitwarden using a Docker on my unRAID server. Safe and reliable. I back up the encrypted DB and configs off-site.
I had Bitwarden running on my Synology NAS after the exodus from Lastpass in mid-February. Just last week, I discovered Google allows you to host one free VM on their Google Cloud Platform and I have since moved my self-hosted Bitwarden to Google.

Now I have certbot running and it will automatically check and renew SSL certs. I no longer have to worry about getting a new SSL cert and install it every three months.
Oct 25, 2013
29 posts
128 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I use keepass. I save the DB file to onedrive and can access it from mobile or desktop
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4321 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
chrishch wrote: Just last week, I discovered Google allows you to host one free VM on their Google Cloud Platform and I have since moved my self-hosted Bitwarden to Google.
Really? All I see is $300 in credits, where did you find this "one free VM"?

Also did they give you a static IP free as well?
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2336 posts
1357 upvotes
Calgary
Redmask wrote: I self-host Bitwarden using a Docker on my unRAID server. Safe and reliable. I back up the encrypted DB and configs off-site.
I should probably backup my configs offsite too...... Just in case.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2054 posts
907 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
I was happy for years with KeePass. I only switched to bitwarden because we use it for work. But the built in TOTL is worth the price of admission. Now even device can be my 2FA key, not just my phone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)