• Jul 11th, 2017 10:58 am
Tags:
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice

Paternal leave EI payments

Hi everyone,

Just getting ready to go on leave. Trying to guess what I will receive for my leave. I will be taking full 35 weeks my girlfriend won't be taking any.

In 2016 my income was 60k and for 2017 I am on pace for 55k. I was just wondering what type of tax to expect off my payments? How much will I receive?

I also read the waiting period is 1 week vs 2 weeks for parental leave over standard EI layoff. Is this true?
13 replies
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice
Thanks! It dosent divulge into what I should be expecting after tax though.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Since you'll be getting the max, probably assume 1/3 off for tax - but that's just a guess. It's been a while since I took mat leave, and I don't remember.
Jan 13, 2012
246 posts
36 upvotes
Trix77 wrote: Thanks! It dosent divulge into what I should be expecting after tax though.
It will be about 1000 every two weeks if you get the max.

Edit: prob closer to 950. But likely 950-1000
Jan 15, 2017
93 posts
116 upvotes
I just starting receiving mat leave EI payments. You'll be getting the max which is $543/week. $26 of tax is taken off so it comes to $517/week but payment is biweekly so I get $1034 every other Tuesday.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2696 posts
592 upvotes
North York
keep in mind the taxes deducted from your EI payments are less then what you will need to pay at the end of the year because of the your income from the rest of the year puts you in a higher tax bracket, so bank some of the EI payments to cover yourself at tax time (or actually do the math and figure out what your tax rate should be on your annual income including the EI, and make sure you save enough to cover the difference from your amount payable against the amount deducted.)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
cliff wrote: keep in mind the taxes deducted from your EI payments are less then what you will need to pay at the end of the year because of the your income from the rest of the year puts you in a higher tax bracket, so bank some of the EI payments to cover yourself at tax time (or actually do the math and figure out what your tax rate should be on your annual income including the EI, and make sure you save enough to cover the difference from your amount payable against the amount deducted.)
This is very important or you can be in a world of hurt at tax time.

Mrs Stock has top up from her work place which is also under taxed. I nearly fainted for our first kid when I saw how much we owed (few g's).
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2013
1066 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
Stock R wrote: This is very important or you can be in a world of hurt at tax time.

Mrs Stock has top up from her work place which is also under taxed. I nearly fainted for our first kid when I saw how much we owed (few g's).
Good to know. As in $2-3000?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
you can request more taxes to be deducted if you are worried about not paying enough
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
227 upvotes
Wilmega wrote: you can request more taxes to be deducted if you are worried about not paying enough
How do you do this?
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
springdays wrote: How do you do this?
If the online application doesn't have a section, then you can call the 1800 number and speak with a rep.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)