The Pathetic state of Cyber Security hiring in Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2019 11:42 pm
[OP]
Jan 20, 2017
212 posts
28 upvotes

The Pathetic state of Cyber Security hiring in Toronto

I cringe the days when a new job is posted by an organization. As many as 20 recruiters jump on it, run a scan through their candidate database and start calling the hell out of candidates they find.
Within minutes of a job posted, candidate becomes part of shark feeding frenzy. I usually start receiving calls from frenetic recruiters within few minutes of job being posted, receive as many as 11-15 calls in first hour !!!! Sometimes the morons will call, hang up, re-dial, hang up and re-dial again. The emails start streaming in, usually 5/6 in 30 mins.
All for same job that requires just one person.
Almost all calls from Indian recruiters.
Almost half the calls are from blocked/unknown/New Jersey numbers.
Almost all calls have nothing to do with actual skill set of a candidate, just 2-3 buzzwords on the resume need to match and all hell breaks loose.
Imagine sitting in a meeting or trying to focus on the work and getting call after call after call.

Are things equally bad in other professions as well?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2260 posts
540 upvotes
It sounds like your resume ended up in the wrong hands.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1194 posts
339 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Weird flex but ok
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3289 posts
668 upvotes
Canada
motomondo wrote:
Mar 6th, 2019 9:45 am
It sounds like your resume ended up in the wrong hands.
i think he is the one hiring? not 100% sure
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2766 posts
566 upvotes
badsha wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 12:01 am
i think he is the one hiring? not 100% sure
re-read it a few times, OP is annoyed with shark-like external recruiters who want to work on the search.

OP here is one strategy: Put "AGENCIES DO NOT CALL" on the job posting, and when they do call tell them YOU'LL NEVER EVER work with them because they never read the posting properly.

tada!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1841 posts
1005 upvotes
The STEM and IT professions are particularly bad in Canada (and even in the US) because there's literally that many people running around, qualified, but the jobs are lacking in quantity and quality.

Surely you've seen this OSPE paper:

https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents ... market.pdf

So any time that something that looks like a quality job pops up, the employers are innundated with applications.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6582 posts
1161 upvotes
T dot 6
Change your phone number. If the recruiters don't have a phone number to call, they will resort to emailing you which is less intrusive.

Have a second version of your resume available online but do not include your phone number. Only include your phone numbers for jobs you apply for or recruiters you have worked directly with.

If you have a unique skill set in that is in demand, you are going to get hit up by recruiters. It might be a inconvenience but at least you know your skills are in demand. Be happy you are in that position compared to looking for a job and no one contacting you.
Last edited by Jaytee on Mar 21st, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
[OP]
Jan 20, 2017
212 posts
28 upvotes
Yes, indeed the problem is too many calls for the same job.
I have removed my phone number from job boards but since it is on the resume, the recruiters enter it in their database and soon enough they all have it. Then a job shows up and guess what - the shark feeding frenzy ensues.
The ridiculous thing in all this is the sheer ferocity with which one received 10-20 calls and emails from recruiters in 24 hours BUT it is for ONE job. You can imagine how many candidates are getting hit for one job resulting in most resumes getting lost in cyberspace.
To make matters worse I have also found out that many orgs like banks limit each recruiter to 3 resumes and 3 days! Hence the feeding frenzy
[OP]
Jan 20, 2017
212 posts
28 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2019 11:51 pm
The STEM and IT professions are particularly bad in Canada (and even in the US) because there's literally that many people running around, qualified, but the jobs are lacking in quantity and quality.

Surely you've seen this OSPE paper:

https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents ... market.pdf

So any time that something that looks like a quality job pops up, the employers are innundated with applications.
Exactly!
Sep 10, 2016
194 posts
29 upvotes
I used to be a .NET developer and got swamped like this. Removed my number from job boards since then and things have been much better