None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2909 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto

patio door safety lock

I want to put some sort of safety lock so the 5 years old cant open it or they sell handle + key lock which was around $38 which is a lot.

The ones I found in Rona require lots drilling and stuff.

Any suggestions/ideas?
15 replies
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
869 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A metal or wood bar at the bottom is what most people do.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17284 posts
15081 upvotes
GTA, ON
^^^^^^ That ^^^^^

Why spend lots of money? Go to your local Home Depot and buy a 1"x2"x6' piece of wood and cut it to size. That's what I did.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17284 posts
15081 upvotes
GTA, ON
Secondarily:

Tell your 5 year-old to not to touch the patio door. If he/she still does, scold and punish. My 4 year old knows not to touch the patio door without permission, hasn't tried opening or closing it since he was two.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5108 posts
971 upvotes
T.
chimaican wrote: Secondarily:

Tell your 5 year-old to not to touch the patio door. If he/she still does, scold and punish. My 4 year old knows not to touch the patio door without permission, hasn't tried opening or closing it since he was two.
All it takes is once. Mechanical means never fail.

To op - just picked up a safety bar at Cdn Tire. A few holes to drill but nothing serious. $20 for piece of mind especially with a pool in the yard.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6336 posts
1063 upvotes
There is a metal patio lock that goes for about $15 at Home Depot. It's in the lock aisle with all the misc accessories. You can install it up high, therefore keeping it out of the reach of your child.
Apr 14, 2015
580 posts
175 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
chimaican wrote: Secondarily:

My kids are perfect too! It's so surprising when other people's children sometimes behave differently. In fact, although I am a perfect parent, even I sometimes find that each of my children behaves differently in the same situation. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

To the OP- a 1x2 might be fine, but a thicker dowel cut to size would be less likely to cause splinters, I think. Also available at Home Depot and pretty cheap.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2909 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
dutchca wrote: All it takes is once. Mechanical means never fail.

To op - just picked up a safety bar at Cdn Tire. A few holes to drill but nothing serious. $20 for piece of mind especially with a pool in the yard.
safety bar?
Mar 3, 2013
516 posts
265 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bsobaid wrote: Looks nice and works perfect but wow at the price. $68. thats a lot.
I'm not sure why it's so expensive on Amazon but we got ours at Home Depot about two years ago. We paid about $20.
A Licensed Electrical Contractor
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
bsobaid wrote: I want to put some sort of safety lock so the 5 years old cant open it or they sell handle + key lock which was around $38 which is a lot.

The ones I found in Rona require lots drilling and stuff.

Any suggestions/ideas?
$38 is a lot? When your child goes walking out the door, gets hit by a car, will you still think $38 is too much? And no, a piece of wood will not work for keeping anyone in. Works for keeping people out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2909 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
DIrty-D wrote: $38 is a lot? When your child goes walking out the door, gets hit by a car, will you still think $38 is too much? And no, a piece of wood will not work for keeping anyone in. Works for keeping people out.
not for all that but for what the material worth.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2909 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
Buccio wrote: A metal or wood bar at the bottom is what most people do.
wont work, kid can always remove it. We had it too but he simply removes the wood and opens it.