• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2014 2:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17864 posts
919 upvotes

Paul & Sandy's Real BBQ in Etobicoke

Hey folks, just thought I'd pass along the information for anyone in the west end. A great little mom & pop southern BBQ place has opened up, I've (embarassingly) already been twice in a week, love my BBQ.

So I returned again today to grab a take out order for me and my brother.

We got a hand-cut beef brisket sandwich, a pulled pork sandwich, home made coleslaw, and fresh cut fries.

The Coleslaw:

Nice and creamy, no real vinegar kick or "miracle whip" flavor which is a little more uncommon. Heavy on the black pepper flavor (I'm a fan of pepper) so this is enjoyable. A good side dish, and a hefty portion for a "small"

The Fries:
No picture for these actually, but they are hand-cut. The problem is, I don't know if they were undercooked or just steamed too much in the take-out styrofoam but they were soggy and had a bit of the raw texture on the inside. However, you can tell the potential is there.. real potatoes & peanut oil, would have been great if just well done.

The hand-cut beef brisket sandwich (yep, not machine sliced):

Very tasty. Some good spice rub from the outer edge, and clearly hand sliced. Tender, and just the right amount of fat. And not "too tender", it still has a good texture to it. Smoked brisket is almost ALWAYS one of the things I'm unhappy with at GTA BBQ joints, so this is a winner in my books. Especially love the bites of the sandwich with the "bark" or rub from the outside on it.. yum

The Pulled Pork sandwich with homemade BBQ sauce: (not great pictures, I know.. stupid phone camera)

This is the reason I re-visited a second time in a week after my first visit.. What's to say.. Wonderful smoke ring on the outside edges, even if not totally visible in my pictures. Big hefty portions of the bark from the outer edges are great, and the homemade sweet BBQ sauce just pulls it all together. Not dried out, but moist. Another winner.

The proprietors, Paul and Sandy both seem like very nice people and are plesant and social.. The kind of people you want to succeed, that is for sure.

They're closed Sunday; and they don't keep regular hours. When they're out of meat, they close. Which can be early, unfortunately. Sandy told me that for the last 2 days previous to today they were sold out by 7PM and had to turn people away, so I'd suggest calling first.

4925 Dundas St W., Etobicoke

Cheers!

edit, another visit 02/04/10: ahh, the beauty of the edit button :) new pictures for you

good news, they fixed the fries. nice and crispy today, fresh cut. very similar to Caplansky's

ribs (only ~$14 a full rack! (this is not a full rack))

smoke ring

two ribs

drizzled with their kansas-style vinegar based BBQ sauce

So there you have it, after all the questions about ribs, as you can see, they're really good

cheers!
299 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19570 posts
4174 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
My mouth is watering just looking at your review.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21687 posts
298 upvotes
Newmarket
Great looking sammiches....luv the bark!

The slaw looks kinda soupy/saucy though. Not sure I like that much dressing. :( So many restaurants ruin their slaws and salads....I cant even go near most Ceasar salads anymore, their usually all soggy from soaking in dressing. Not to mention the increased fat content being added unnecessarily.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
547 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
I would like to see a generous smoke ring on all the selections, before I visit.
I suppose they use an electric smoker with chips, unlike the log burner at Buster Rhino's.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3444 posts
170 upvotes
GTA
jayt90 wrote: I would like to see a generous smoke ring on all the selections, before I visit.
I suppose they use an electric smoker with chips, unlike the log burner at Buster Rhino's.

They said they traveled to Buffalo to buy their smoker and it is out back on the porch. I didn't go out and look at it, but pretty sure it is wood burning, and uses gas. The brisket certainly had a VERY smoky flavor.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
547 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Squiggles wrote: They said they traveled to Buffalo to buy their smoker and it is out back on the porch. I didn't go out and look at it, but pretty sure it is wood burning, and uses gas. The brisket certainly had a VERY smoky flavor.
The problem with some other places, like Southern Rub, is the the use of an electric smoker , and holding the BBQ for reheating on demand.
I think it is important to know whether logs are used for smoking, especially in an urban location. The photos I see here do not demonstrate that.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3444 posts
170 upvotes
GTA
jayt90 wrote: The problem with some other places, like Southern Rub, is the the use of an electric smoker , and holding the BBQ for reheating on demand.
I think it is important to know whether logs are used for smoking, especially in an urban location. The photos I see here do not demonstrate that.
Based on a brief conversation with the owners I am pretty sure they are using a gas smoker. The restaurant had a wonderful smoky smell that I associated with burning wood, but that may have just been my assumption (though I'm pretty sure I am correct). I am relatively sure that they do not hold the BBQ for reheating which is why they have been having some issues with running out of food early and not having things ready for the lunch rush. If you are not willing to check it out yourself keep an eye on the Chow thread. I'm sure myself or someone there will eventually check out their smoker and post a description.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21687 posts
298 upvotes
Newmarket
Squiggles wrote: They said they traveled to Buffalo to buy their smoker and it is out back on the porch. I didn't go out and look at it, but pretty sure it is wood burning, and uses gas. The brisket certainly had a VERY smoky flavor.
could be liquid smoke as well?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
547 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
I will definitely check it out, along with Stockyards, when I'm in those areas.
I live close to Buster Rhino's. I suspect he'll be visiting too.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17864 posts
919 upvotes
Squiggles wrote: Went last week and enjoyed pulled chicken and brisket.
The beans are awesome, made with Jack Daniels Select.

Lots of buzz about it on Chowhound - http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/680834
hi Squiggles

Glad to hear you can vouch for the beans and chicken; haven't tried either (although the chicken sounds tempting!)

cheers
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17864 posts
919 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: My mouth is watering just looking at your review.
Menthol wrote: Stop it!!
You had me visiting RUB twice in the last week, now this :D

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Mission accomplished if it has that effect at all :)