Paul & Sandy's Real BBQ in Etobicoke

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2014 2:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17827 posts
901 upvotes
stealth wrote: The slaw looks kinda soupy/saucy though. Not sure I like that much dressing. :( So many restaurants ruin their slaws and salads....I cant even go near most Ceasar salads anymore, their usually all soggy from soaking in dressing. Not to mention the increased fat content being added unnecessarily.
Yeah, the slaw didn't really taste like I expected it to. Definitely doesn't have the bite or kick you'd expect; from the vinegar I guess. Honestly it was decent, and certainly different from most, but I do agree it's not something you can eat tons of.. I put the uneaten portion back in the fridge :)

They do have laminated placemats or "ad slicks" on the tables though explaining that they use nothing but organic ONTARIO grown cabbage in their slaw, etc.

They are on the right path
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17827 posts
901 upvotes
jayt90 wrote: I would like to see a generous smoke ring on all the selections, before I visit.
I suppose they use an electric smoker with chips, unlike the log burner at Buster Rhino's.

hi james

honestly the smoke ring isn;'t really visible in those terrible camera-phone pictures i took, but it is very visible on the pulled pork. Not really visible on the brisket, but neither is BR's so much.. just the nature of beef I suppose. Smoke flavor is there, but not as strong as i'd do at home
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17827 posts
901 upvotes
szw wrote: Prices?
very well priced, another pleasantry i should have mentioned.

Pulled pork with any side is something like $8 taxes in
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12217 posts
124 upvotes
Went there last night, and did take out since it was across my original destination, Tokugawa Sushi.

I ordered a pulled pork and beef brisket sandwich. Sandwiches are about $5-6 each. Apparently Paul makes good wings too. So i'm gonna order those next as well.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2006
2509 posts
243 upvotes
Whitby
jayt90 wrote: I would like to see a generous smoke ring on all the selections, before I visit.
I suppose they use an electric smoker with chips, unlike the log burner at Buster Rhino's.
I am pretty sure that BR's uses a Southern Pride SPK 500 which is a gas burner with wood assist. It does produce an excellent product.

http://www.southern-pride.com/p/pits_spk-500.php

The smoker whether it's gas, electric, pellet or log fired will all produce a nice smoke ring if handled correctly. Bradley smokers make some great Q and they're electric. The same with some Cookshack models. As long as wood is introduced and burnt in the process you should get a smoke ring.

Saying that..... The pics to look damn good DD, I was in the area on Thursday and regret not finding out about them sooner....
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa
:arrowu:

i have a Bradley and it doesn't produce a smoke ring on meat.

as referenced by username jayt90, i've read it's something about it being electric. Traeger's are electric too, however, and they do produce a smoke ring (?). the system of delivering the smoke is significantly different though.

funny thing is the smoke flavour from a Bradley is more pronounced than from a Traeger, IMO.

smoke ring = for show, from what i understand.
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2006
2509 posts
243 upvotes
Whitby
monty613 wrote: :arrowu:

i have a Bradley and it doesn't produce a smoke ring on meat.

as referenced by username jayt90, i've read it's something about it being electric. Traeger's are electric too, however, and they do produce a smoke ring (?). the system of delivering the smoke is significantly different though.

funny thing is the smoke flavour from a Bradley is more pronounced than from a Traeger, IMO.

smoke ring = for show, from what i understand.
I have a Traeger and it is electric start and pellet fired. When you start it up a fire plug ignites pellets which an auger continually feeds into a fire pot, after 5 minutes it shuts off and the rest of the cook is heated by burning pellets in the fire pot. So, you're really burning wood for heat. Run out of pellets, run out of heat. ;)

I will have to research electric cookers more, I don't own one but was under the assumption that burning wood = smoke ring. I will look into that. My cousin owns a Bradley and I've only ever smoked fish on it.

Edit: You are exactly right, a smoke ring is purely for show. It exists to show that wood was used in the process of cooking.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa
just did some quick reading - i think the reason the Bradley doesn't produce a smoke ring is the way the smoke and heat is generated. the smoke is made through the 'smoke generator' which smolders the wood chips at a low temperature to produce an intense smoke.

the cabinet has a heating element which runs independently from the smoke generator. the element can be turned off completely (leaving the smoke generator on, ie a cold smoke), or be turned up to 250F+ (hot smoke).

so the meat isn't cooked solely by the wood burning, but moreso by the element in the cabinet. this doesn't produce the "reaction" required to impart a smoke ring.

ok i've derailed this thread enough... :cheesygri

great bark on those sandwiches DD
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
546 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
duckdown wrote: hi james

honestly the smoke ring isn;'t really visible in those terrible camera-phone pictures i took, but it is very visible on the pulled pork. Not really visible on the brisket, but neither is BR's so much.. just the nature of beef I suppose. Smoke flavor is there, but not as strong as i'd do at home
The first brisket I had at B.R.'s, shortly after Dr. Butcher mentioned the place on Chow, was bland, dry, and no ring. Since then (Nov., '08) more smoke has been added, yet the meat is still succulent, not overdone. The Dec. 4 tasting at B.R.'s had perfectly done brisket and PP.
I would encourage Paul and Sandy to smoke to completion, and still present a moist flavorsome product. I'm sure that's their goal.
Nov 5, 2001
758 posts
19 upvotes
Hmn. Still far but much more "in-town" than other places to me... Will put this on my list of "places I want to eat!" Thanks DD!
foodpr0n.com 11/02/15: Comforting Campagnolo // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3274 posts
407 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
For a restauraunt electric/automated is more economical. I smoke weekly and it isn't the cheapest form of eating when you consider fuel.

What do up mean by smoke to completion.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1469 upvotes
Pickering
hyperactiveme wrote: For a restauraunt electric/automated is more economical. I smoke weekly and it isn't the cheapest form of eating when you consider fuel.

What do up mean by smoke to completion.
First of all, I own a Traeger and a charcoal fired bullet (ECB). To get a deep smoke ring, you need to hit the meat with a lot of smoke while it is at a low temperature. Also it would seem that stronger smoke leaves a deeper ring as well.

Using the Traeger, if I operate the grill until the meat reaches 120 degrees with the grill running at 180 (smoke setting) the smoke ring is deep. If I operate the grill at 225 degrees, the smoke ring is not as deep and the wood flavour is more prominent than the smoke and the taste is smoother.

Using the ECB with wood chunks mixed in with the charcoal the smoke varies from intense at startup and before it needs stoking to a medium during the middle of the process. I get a better smoke ring with charcoal at the expense of part (a large part) of the smoke flavour being charcoal instead of the smoke flavour consisting of the wood type I am burning.

On a long smoke, I might operate a unit for 12 hours or more. In an uninsulated ECB, I'll use about $15 worth of charcoal and $2 worth of wood. In my gas BBQ, I figure I use $5-$6 and would spend about the same on the wood in the smoking boxes. On the Traeger the wood provides the heat and the smoke, I spend about $8-$11 depending on outside temperatures.

To cut costs if and time, some people with hit the meat with heavy smoke until the meat reaches 120 degrees and then put it in an oven (with a small amount of liquid and covered so no steam can easily escape) and run the meat up to 180 degrees plus and hold it for an hour so the meat is fall apart tender.

Smoking to completion would mean it stays in the smoker the whole time, until it is done. You could still do this and cover the meat with foil (called the Texas crutch) to trap moisture and make the meat fall apart tender while cooking.

I go for cooking the meat the whole time in the smoker with a slight mop. No sugary BBQ sauces slathered on the meat, just a mop made from the rub.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17827 posts
901 upvotes
originalnutta wrote: Went there last night, and did take out since it was across my original destination, Tokugawa Sushi.

I ordered a pulled pork and beef brisket sandwich. Sandwiches are about $5-6 each. Apparently Paul makes good wings too. So i'm gonna order those next as well.
Did you like it?
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12217 posts
124 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Did you like it?
Yeah i loved it.

But i can't give a proper review because it wasn't fresh when i ate it. My date thought i was crazy, running across the street to a BBQ place even though we were going to eat sushi after i bought the sandwiches.

The meat was honestly like butter. Not sinewy and stringy, nor did it have those hard gristly cuts of burnt meat some might consider bark. Despite an acceptable amount of grease, the meal felt very light due to the soft bread used. I think i preferred the beef brisket, even though i like BBQ sauce and pork, the brisket sandwich just has that bold beef flavour you can only get out of smoking.

This place is about 5-10 mins from my house, so i'm hoping Paul and Sandy's is here to stay.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire