• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2014 2:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17827 posts
901 upvotes
originalnutta wrote: Yeah i loved it.

But i can't give a proper review because it wasn't fresh when i ate it. My date thought i was crazy, running across the street to a BBQ place even though we were going to eat sushi after i bought the sandwiches.

The meat was honestly like butter. Not sinewy and stringy, nor did it have those hard gristly cuts of burnt meat some might consider bark. Despite an acceptable amount of grease, the meal felt very light due to the soft bread used. I think i preferred the beef brisket, even though i like BBQ sauce and pork, the brisket sandwich just has that bold beef flavour you can only get out of smoking.

This place is about 5-10 mins from my house, so i'm hoping Paul and Sandy's is here to stay.

RIght on man

LOL! Sushi and sandwiches.. I'd do it too

The brisket was really really tasty yeah, I'm jonesing for another one already..

Lucky this place isn't only 5-10 minutes away from me or I'd be there WAY too often, lmao.

cheers!
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3271 posts
406 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
I read your post wrong. I thought you wanted to add smoke the whole way through. I normally add my smoke via logs no more than the first 2 hours and it seems to work for me. Usualy @ 220-250.

I agree to leave the 'cue all the whole time too.
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
897 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
duckdown wrote: Hey folks, just thought I'd pass along the information for anyone in the west end. A great little mom & pop southern BBQ place has opened up, I've (embarassingly) already been twice in a week, love my BBQ.

So I returned again today to grab a take out order for me and my brother.

We got a hand-cut beef brisket sandwich, a pulled pork sandwich, home made coleslaw, and fresh cut fries.

The Coleslaw:

Nice and creamy, no real vinegar kick or "miracle whip" flavor which is a little more uncommon. Heavy on the black pepper flavor (I'm a fan of pepper) so this is enjoyable. A good side dish, and a hefty portion for a "small"

The Fries:
No picture for these actually, but they are hand-cut. The problem is, I don't know if they were undercooked or just steamed too much in the take-out styrofoam but they were soggy and had a bit of the raw texture on the inside. However, you can tell the potential is there.. real potatoes & peanut oil, would have been great if just well done.

The hand-cut beef brisket sandwich (yep, not machine sliced):

Very tasty. Some good spice rub from the outer edge, and clearly hand sliced. Tender, and just the right amount of fat. And not "too tender", it still has a good texture to it. Smoked brisket is almost ALWAYS one of the things I'm unhappy with at GTA BBQ joints, so this is a winner in my books. Especially love the bites of the sandwich with the "bark" or rub from the outside on it.. yum

The Pulled Pork sandwich with homemade BBQ sauce: (not great pictures, I know.. stupid phone camera)

This is the reason I re-visited a second time in a week after my first visit.. What's to say.. Wonderful smoke ring on the outside edges, even if not totally visible in my pictures. Big hefty portions of the bark from the outer edges are great, and the homemade sweet BBQ sauce just pulls it all together. Not dried out, but moist. Another winner.

The proprietors, Paul and Sandy both seem like very nice people and are plesant and social.. The kind of people you want to succeed, that is for sure.

They're closed Sunday; and they don't keep regular hours. When they're out of meat, they close. Which can be early, unfortunately. Sandy told me that for the last 2 days previous to today they were sold out by 7PM and had to turn people away, so I'd suggest calling first.

4265 Dundas St. W, Etobicoke

Cheers!
http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=firef ... =en&tab=wl

I google mapped the address and was curious because I drive past that intersection every day, is it in the plaza with mastermind toys?
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12217 posts
124 upvotes
rammingman wrote: http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=firef ... =en&tab=wl

I google mapped the address and was curious because I drive past that intersection every day, is it in the plaza with mastermind toys?
yeah for some reason that isn't the right location.

It is NOT at Royal York/Dundas.

It's near 4944 Dundas Street West Etobicoke, ON M9A 1B7. Which is Islington Village. So Burnhamthorpe/Dundas.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
716 upvotes
Why isnt there a review of ribs? Isnt ribs usually the big item for bbq places?
Jan 3, 2010
32 posts
originalnutta wrote: yeah for some reason that isn't the right location.

It's near 4944 Dundas Street West Etobicoke, ON M9A 1B7. Which is Islington Village. So Burnhamthorpe/Dundas.
S/W corner of Cordova/B'thorpe and Dundas. It's right beside the Subway (Sandwiches, not trains)
Hal :cool:
May 6, 2005
871 posts
22 upvotes
I also had the pulled pork and brisket sandwiches (loved them both).
Had the chance to talk with Paul, Sandy, and their daughter....they are real nice folk and I'll definitely be heading back for more (agree with the "need rib" review).

For those who are directionally challenged, I find it easiest to describe their location as on Dundas, west of Islington (Burnamthorpe runs 99% parallel to Dundas and I think might confuse some people).
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2889 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
Went there last night. Unfortunately they were out of the chicken and the coleslaw, but I split a platter with a friend. Pulled pork, brisket, smoked meatloaf and a half-rack of baby-back ribs. What can I say? My favourite item was the smoked meatloaf. It was really moist and very flavourful. The pulled pork was also very good, not dry at all. The brisket was very tender, so much so that it fell apart on the plate. I asked Paul about this and he told me it was over cooked :)

The ribs were sauced up, and falling-off-the bone tender.

I definitely recommend this place.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11684 posts
2238 upvotes
originalnutta wrote: yeah for some reason that isn't the right location.

Nice! This place is even closer to where I live... So how long do they open, assuming they don't run out of meat?

I might just wait until Saturday... Highly unlikely I can get there before 7pm during a week day. Don't want the risk of being denied.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3271 posts
406 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Robs fall off the bone? Let's hope not. You guys are lucky, I wish we had cue round these parts. Can't really make a sandwich worth af home.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
166 upvotes
Hal LePino wrote: S/W corner of Cordova/B'thorpe and Dundas. It's right beside the Subway (Sandwiches, not trains)
When I'm in that area the compass in my head goes out of whack. The streets in that area aren't parallel to one another. East-west streets all of the sudden becomes north-south, blah blah blah. But yeah, my stomach is telling me to pay this place a visit later this week.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2889 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
EL820 wrote: I'm not a sandwich guy...how's their RIBS?? Price on a full rack?
They only have baby-back, not side ribs, and they're pretty good.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17827 posts
901 upvotes
Frig!

my brother just came home with a full rack from here, it's only 14 bucks!

I would have gotten one if I knew it was that cheap

ill steal one or two and report back
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3537 posts
272 upvotes
Adelaide
monty613 wrote: just did some quick reading - i think the reason the Bradley doesn't produce a smoke ring is the way the smoke and heat is generated. the smoke is made through the 'smoke generator' which smolders the wood chips at a low temperature to produce an intense smoke.

the cabinet has a heating element which runs independently from the smoke generator. the element can be turned off completely (leaving the smoke generator on, ie a cold smoke), or be turned up to 250F+ (hot smoke).

so the meat isn't cooked solely by the wood burning, but moreso by the element in the cabinet. this doesn't produce the "reaction" required to impart a smoke ring.

ok i've derailed this thread enough... :cheesygri

great bark on those sandwiches DD
\

thats actually really good to know. I have a centro electric smoker (it seems to be a rebranded masterbuilt electric smoker) and have never really got a smoke ring at all. The smoke taste is fine but i still always assumed I was doing something wrong not being able to get that big smoke ring.