• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2020 12:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1413 posts
1818 upvotes

Pavers vs poured concrete walkway

have to get a walkway done on a newly-ish built house. About 12 feet long and will need two steps. My neighbors who got a paver done last year I would say half of them are now uneven. I was thinking of getting a walkway poured instead. I think it might be more durable or even cheaper?
20 replies
Nov 6, 2014
753 posts
1151 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Keep in mind that you can't use salt in the winter or the concrete will start to crumble.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14627 posts
9019 upvotes
Toronto
My neighbour has a poured concrete driveway, and walkways to the doors. I think he had it done about 4-5 years ago now and it still looks amazing. It's very expensive. I'm not talking about crapped bagged ready mix concrete that you can get from home depot either.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 20, 2007
71 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal
I'm also looking to do the driveway of new house, but hadn't considered getting it poured. How is it more durable than pavers? I would have thought a big slab of concrete be more prone to cracking.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14627 posts
9019 upvotes
Toronto
magicdud wrote: I'm also looking to do the driveway of new house, but hadn't considered getting it poured. How is it more durable than pavers? I would have thought a big slab of concrete be more prone to cracking.
It's not a big slab, it's sectional so it can shift, it has curved corners for water run off. This was done by pros, not by some kijiji handyman.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dec 25, 2006
581 posts
433 upvotes
Winnipeg
koffey wrote: It's very expensive. I'm not talking about crapped bagged ready mix concrete that you can get from home depot either.
I've been getting quotes to redo approximately 400 square feet of sidewalk. Cement is about 25% cheaper than pavers here in Winnipeg with multiple quotes. I'll be going with cement......
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9971 posts
5251 upvotes
Paris
warpdwhim wrote: I've been getting quotes to redo approximately 400 square feet of sidewalk. Cement is about 25% cheaper than pavers here in Winnipeg with multiple quotes. I'll be going with cement......
Cement is way less labour. My Dad has interlock and it sinks over time, even with a prepared base. A 3,000 pound car will do that.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4454 posts
1780 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: My Dad has interlock and it sinks over time, even with a prepared base. A 3,000 pound car will do that.
My neighbour redid his interlock, it looked great the next day, but after a year it started sinking. The only way for it to not sink is to do a concrete base.
Last edited by shabby on Apr 22nd, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14627 posts
9019 upvotes
Toronto
warpdwhim wrote: I've been getting quotes to redo approximately 400 square feet of sidewalk. Cement is about 25% cheaper than pavers here in Winnipeg with multiple quotes. I'll be going with cement......
As mentioned, it's less labour. It's still not cheap due to the actual product and delivery fees, at least out in Toronto where just getting a small 100sqft pad poured is a few grand. I can get a lot of interlocking stones for that BUT getting them installed will not be cheap unless it's DYI. Also, cement isn't going to sink where you park but if it stains with oil, it will look considerably worse.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2520 posts
906 upvotes
Mississauga
For a 2x car driveway in stamped concrete your looking at 10-12K plus... done right. There is different mpa for driveway vs walkways.

I had my front walkway and porch done at my old place 10yrs ago.. And always sealed it every 2yrs.. still looked brand new .. will probably do something similar at my new place.. but will keep my driveway asphalt.. just cheaper in long run to just redo. And yes it's slippery as hell when iced over ... fell 3 times at my old place.. even with good shoes..

Also will probably look at flagstone large format pavers for my walkways around the house.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1729 posts
788 upvotes
Ontario
My neighbors had his interlock done over 15yrs or so ago, other then having to clean out grass between the cracks and reapply sand every five years or so, it still looks great and not sinking anywhere I can see.

I want to redo ours in concrete, but its pricey here :(
·Ï¢årµ§·
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4727 posts
1397 upvotes
0 downvotes
instead of pavers or poured cement, I would also go with Interlock stones as well. We have interlock as our front steps and after 15 years they still look great
Hi
Jun 26, 2019
968 posts
715 upvotes
RaphaelG041 wrote: have to get a walkway done on a newly-ish built house. About 12 feet long and will need two steps. My neighbors who got a paver done last year I would say half of them are now uneven. I was thinking of getting a walkway poured instead. I think it might be more durable or even cheaper?
Can you define new-ish built house? If there was a lot of fill or subex in our subdivision, the ground could still be settling. If this is the case, even if your neighbours got their pavers installed properly, ongoing settllement could have caused issues. Alternatively, the job could have been poorly done, and they didnt dig down to a decent compacted native. Anyways, my point here is, if its a new subdivision, might be worthwhile to let things settle out before going forward.

In regards to both options, if either option is done correctly/professionally, they should both last you many years to come. In the GTA a concrete driveway is usually more expensive than standard pavers. Generally for a smaller area, pavers might also be cheaper than concrete, but this is more so a function of area and your location in the world.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1413 posts
1818 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Can you define new-ish built house? If there was a lot of fill or subex in our subdivision, the ground could still be settling. If this is the case, even if your neighbours got their pavers installed properly, ongoing settllement could have caused issues. Alternatively, the job could have been poorly done, and they didnt dig down to a decent compacted native. Anyways, my point here is, if its a new subdivision, might be worthwhile to let things settle out before going forward.

In regards to both options, if either option is done correctly/professionally, they should both last you many years to come. In the GTA a concrete driveway is usually more expensive than standard pavers. Generally for a smaller area, pavers might also be cheaper than concrete, but this is more so a function of area and your location in the world.

Yeah the house is 3 years old i figured that was long enough
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12575 posts
7309 upvotes
Markham
Judging by some threads in here, I'd say make sure you DO NOT do PATTERNED CONCRETE.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16179 posts
4990 upvotes
London
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Can you define new-ish built house? If there was a lot of fill or subex in our subdivision, the ground could still be settling. If this is the case, even if your neighbours got their pavers installed properly, ongoing settllement could have caused issues. Alternatively, the job could have been poorly done, and they didnt dig down to a decent compacted native. Anyways, my point here is, if its a new subdivision, might be worthwhile to let things settle out before going forward....
+1
This happened to a buddy. He had a poured concrete patio/ walkway put in that goes right up to his basement wall. The fill was still settling after 10 years and part of the patio as well as the walkway has started tilting towards the house. Now he has moisture seepage issues in his basement whenever it rains heavily as all the water drains towards the house. To fix it, he either has to tear up the concrete (to fix the fill settlement issue) or mud jack the slabs so the water drains away (and hope the basement water seepage goes away)

At least with pavers/ interlock, he can lift them up, fix the settlement and put them back down again
Jun 26, 2019
968 posts
715 upvotes
RaphaelG041 wrote: Yeah the house is 3 years old i figured that was long enough
Generally speaking assumption of the subdivision usually takes 2 years, and then a grading inspection is done then to check for extreme settlement and make sure everything still drains in the right direction.

Again, depending on how much fill was placed in your area, and seeing as the walkways are close to your house which will be a fill area for sure, these areas will take longer to settle out. The fill will be deeper close to your house, and shallower further away, which can result in more settlement close to your house which is the worst case possible.

If you want to proceed, just make sure you get a contractor who knows what he is doing and has good equipment. You may want to have some provisions for excavating a bit more to a deeper granular base, or see what the contractor thinks after he digs down a certain depth.

Also, some guys will have a warranty that is better than a tailgate warranty, so you can shop around based on that as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2520 posts
906 upvotes
Mississauga
l69norm wrote: +1
At least with pavers/ interlock, he can lift them up, fix the settlement and put them back down again
This is why for walkway between house from front to back.. I would use large pavers...
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4727 posts
1397 upvotes
0 downvotes
Someone made a Cement walkway on the side of their house right where the Utilities are housed, One day the crews had to dig to fix a hydro so they had to break his cement walkway, it was patched up later on but looks terrible, Rule of thumb, Never put Cement walkway where a utilities have to dig up to fix wires. use Interlock or Patio Stones. I wouldnt pave either, paving looks terrible when you patch it up.
Hi
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4339 posts
3108 upvotes
I have not read the other responses but without a doubt I would say pavers. Pouring concrete is a very permanent decision, not to mention costly to put in and remove. The reason why your neighbour's are uneven is probably because they did not properly prep the area. I installed pavers myself four years ago and they are in perfect condition. The also with concrete you have to deal with cracks then what are you going to do?