• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2017 10:18 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 11, 2017
4 posts

Pay fee of CNESST?

I just realized that my corporation may need to pay CNESST. In the monthly source deduction, I do see that field, but in the calculation of my accountant, that is always zero.

Now I use quickbook with source deduction, and the calculation does not include CNESST either.

In the year end, shall I pay that somehow? Shall I remit that monthly?
2 replies
Apr 25, 2017
1 posts
Yes, we have incorporation and we have to pay CNESST for employee, not for president. If you work alone, you don't need to, I guess. It's better if you call them and ask about your case. Each is different...
Apr 25, 2017
83 posts
52 upvotes
CNESST (or CSST) is calculated based on the classified job categories. Each category has a rate. Usually CNESST will send you a "table of rate" at the end of each fiscal year to determine how much rate for each category for next year.

You take those rates and multiply it with the payroll you pay each category. For example, CSST rate for office job positions is 1.8%, so you take 1.8% times the pay summary you pay your secretary, bookkeeper, receptionist etc. Then you have to include this CSST amount in your DAS (Deduction at source) each month.

Usually the bookkeeper will do it (if you have one).

If you don't pay CSST throughout the year, don't worry. At the end of the year, you have to do a "Summary of CNESST" in which you declare how much you paid each category. The CNESST will calculate and make adjustment and give you a "due amount" based on what you've paid or not. In your case, you might have to pay the full amount of a full year CSST. Ouchy.

I'm a bookkeeper. Ask me if you have questions.