• Jul 27th, 2016 4:04 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 25, 2009
124 posts
9 upvotes

Pay as you go plans?

I'm trying to find the best rate for pay as you go plans for my 83 year old Dad - to use as an emergency phone, and to find my mom when she spends to long in the mall - lol.
Thinking of getting him a used Samsung Galaxy S4 and one of the $100 cards that has a year before it expires.
We are not in a big city, so Wind, etc. won't work. Bell, Telus, Fido, Rogers, Koodoo should all be fine - not sure what the 7-11 etc. resells, so I don't know which will work for him.

Any suggestions for which company has the best $100 (long expiry) card that will work in the Ontario country side and the cheapest per-minute (and maybe per-text) rate?
TIA!
14 replies
Apr 2, 2015
218 posts
72 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
PC Mobile from Loblaws if he never uses it except odd voice call for emergencies. $100 one year expiry and uses Bell network so good coverage.

Ztar/7-11 Speakout/Petro Canada use Rogers network which in my experience is useless rurally or up north but have good deals or promos and same expiry on $100.

Have used em all and only PC Mobile for outside the cities generally.

Check coverage areas and evaluate his need for SMS text or data if any before choosing a paygo.

The big 3 all have plans but YMMV and prices/expiries are usually better with MVNO providers.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33740 posts
7375 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The Rogers $120 plan sounds perfect if he doesn't need to call during the day time. Evenings and weekends are unlimited and you get unlimited SMS

$120 for 1 year*

•Unlimited evening (6 p.m.-7 a.m.) and Weekend (Fri 6 p.m. - Mon 7 a.m.) local calls
•50 minutes of daytime local calling for the year
•50¢/minute for additional local daytime calls
•50¢/minute for Canadian and US long distance calls
•Unlimited Canadian text messages
•35¢/message for International text messages
•Voicemail, Call Display, and Call Waiting included
•Other services are available at applicable Pay-Per-Use rates
•Plan is valid for 12 months from the day you sign up

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wire ... lydiscount
Aug 30, 2012
133 posts
51 upvotes
7-11 speak out(uses Rogers) has $100 top ups specials that sometimes come with phone or sim(and an additional $25 credit) but their$ 25 or $45 good for a year as well . If its just the odd call or text just start with the $25 a year plan and see how much usage your dad gets in a month. you can top up online for him whenever required and at this price get one for each of your parents. Is your dad computer savvy and would he be happy with smart phone whatever kind it is ?Please note this is an important question and not age related. Some people don't like change. If the answer is he likes the old flip phones, then get him a basic pay as you go flip(walmart/bestbuy) and get it unlocked. Otherwise if he is game for smart phones then a unlocked Moto E or whatever you decide on will do him fine if its just for texts ,calls and emergencies.I suggest getting a phone ,unlocking it so you are not tied to any carrier but can pick the best plan for your dad and separately pick the best phone for him as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Bookeroo wrote: IWe are not in a big city, so Wind, etc. won't work. Bell, Telus, Fido, Rogers, Koodoo should all be fine - not sure what the 7-11 etc. resells, so I don't know which will work for him.

!

That may not be so if you have one of the grandfathered PAYG or PYW plan of Wind. While you are in the boonies, roaming of Wind users (on Bell/Rogers) will be 15¢/min Canada/US-wide Calling ( or 5¢/Text Global Texting
5¢/MB Data) . That is typically lower than those of RBT on PAYG.
Again these plans are difficult to get as it is no longer currently offered.

edited later: top of $40 lasts 6 months
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto
We have Telus plans, not the cheapest but my MIL for example, barely uses it. Works well up north at our cottage - Rogers isn't all that reliable up there or else I think the 7/11 option would be perfect. The $100 credit lasts a year.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2003 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

I think 7-11 Speakout fits your bill. Current promo is - Buy $100 voucher & buy their basic smart phone for $50. All vouchers($25-$100) have a 1 year expiry. All unused money in your account is carried over if you top-up before the current voucher expires. You can top-up the account for your Dad. All talk time costs $.25/minute or portion of a minute. 9-1-1 service charge is $1.25/month. You can also port your Dad's current phone number into his Speakout account or get a new number altogether.
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-p ... romotions/
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4823 posts
2588 upvotes
I'd go with Speakout, but I don't see the need in plopping down $100 for emergency/finding your mom in the mall.

If you plop down $25 and leave it as pay as you go, you're deducted around $2.50 a month (might be lower) + whatever services you use. So if he isn't really making many calls and we assume the ones he does use are really short then he's using a total of maybe $3-5 a month. So the chances are he's not going to use around $100 a year. Might be able to save even more if he knows how to use public WiFi for calls.
Nov 23, 2004
884 posts
216 upvotes
RiCHC3 wrote: I'd go with Speakout, but I don't see the need in plopping down $100 for emergency/finding your mom in the mall.

If you plop down $25 and leave it as pay as you go, you're deducted around $2.50 a month (might be lower) + whatever services you use. So if he isn't really making many calls and we assume the ones he does use are really short then he's using a total of maybe $3-5 a month. So the chances are he's not going to use around $100 a year. Might be able to save even more if he knows how to use public WiFi for calls.

This thread is so helpful as i'm in a similar situation. One question: if i have a couple of unlocked blackberrys or an unlocked nokia lumia 640 at home, those should work with Speakout right? Just get a new SIM card for a new phone number?

Would work out well since the current promo is :

"*Free SIM offer valid with $100 SpeakOut top up purchase only. Top Up is not automatically activated upon purchase.

*$100 top up must be activated by August 31, 2016, 11:59 pm PT to receive the $25 account bonus. Cannot be combined with any other promotional offer. Promotion valid dates 7/5/16 – 8/31/16. While supplies last."
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
250 upvotes
Field BC
On 7/11 I put in 100 initially. It's eating $15/year by itself in maintenance fees. I'm planning on topping up $25 per year.

For bare minimum usage 7/11 is the best.
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
250 upvotes
Field BC
danieltoronto wrote: That may not be so if you have one of the grandfathered PAYG or PYW plan of Wind. While you are in the boonies, roaming of Wind users (on Bell/Rogers) will be 15¢/min Canada/US-wide Calling ( or 5¢/Text Global Texting
5¢/MB Data) . That is typically lower than those of RBT on PAYG.
Again these plans are difficult to get as it is no longer currently offered.

edited later: top of $40 lasts 6 months
That Roaming rate doesn't apply to PYW users. It's 20c for calling. but its same price from Vancouver to Miami which is good. No LD.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4823 posts
2588 upvotes
freebies_r_us wrote: This thread is so helpful as i'm in a similar situation. One question: if i have a couple of unlocked blackberrys or an unlocked nokia lumia 640 at home, those should work with Speakout right? Just get a new SIM card for a new phone number? [/I]
As a standard phone they should all work fine, assuming those Blackberrys aren't ancient CDMA versions -- if they are, you need to do a bit of research. Beyond that though, Speakout runs on the Rogers network which basically uses the industry standard so just about everything works on them on a basic level (calling/texting). Now, if you need high speed data like LTE then you have to look up whether your phone runs on the same frequencies, but typically people don't use Speakout for data.
Nov 23, 2004
884 posts
216 upvotes
RiCHC3 wrote: As a standard phone they should all work fine, assuming those Blackberrys aren't ancient CDMA versions -- if they are, you need to do a bit of research. Beyond that though, Speakout runs on the Rogers network which basically uses the industry standard so just about everything works on them on a basic level (calling/texting). Now, if you need high speed data like LTE then you have to look up whether your phone runs on the same frequencies, but typically people don't use Speakout for data.
Thanks RiCHC3...super helpful. I have an unlocked Bold and a Q10. Will probably start her off with the $100 top up to get the free SIM card and the bonus $25. That should last her a while. It really is just to call and text.