Real Estate

Payed off mortgage - Copy of deed or statement?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2020 8:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1868 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto

Payed off mortgage - Copy of deed or statement?

I paid up my mortgage last month by a lump sum prepayment. Mortgage no longer appears in Scotia online banking. Is the bank supposed to send me my deed or some sort of paid up letter?
Celebrating 18+ years on RFD!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4137 posts
3643 upvotes
You got the deed to your home when you bought it. Generally you would receive a letter from the bank with the release of the lien against title. But, that depends on what type of mortgage you have with the bank. Scotia has its STEP and if you have other products registered against it, you may not receive the letter. I suggest you follow up with Scotia to see what you can expect.
Aug 14, 2020
180 posts
166 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
wysiwyg wrote: I paid up my mortgage last month by a lump sum prepayment. Mortgage no longer appears in Scotia online banking. Is the bank supposed to send me my deed or some sort of paid up letter?
Congratulations!!

The Discharge isn't automatic. Here is a LINK from Canada.ca explaining the discharge and how to get one.
_

Getting a mortgage is like writing a test...except you're allowed to work with someone who knows the answers!

Kirby Reschny
Mortgage Agent
Real Mortgage Associates (FSRA #10464)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1868 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks both for the info/link. I do have a HELOC account tied to the mortgage (although with $0) borrowed. Plus I have the Scotia Card linked to the STEP for the reduced annual fee. Might be time to close these once and for all.
Celebrating 18+ years on RFD!
Jun 8, 2009
152 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
Good job on this milestone.
One thing to keep in mind is that you should keep a line of credit available to you...just in case you need it one day. If at that point you don’t have the credit facility, you will need to apply and qualify for it. Which means you will need to have income, get an appraisal etc.
As far your paid mortgage though, get a written confirmation from the bank that it has been paid off in full.

wysiwyg wrote: Thanks both for the info/link. I do have a HELOC account tied to the mortgage (although with $0) borrowed. Plus I have the Scotia Card linked to the STEP for the reduced annual fee. Might be time to close these once and for all.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20176 posts
4729 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
IME it takes a month or two, but TD sent me papers confirming the discharge when the mortgage was paid off.

This was an error though. I had actually re-financed out of TD, but they screwed up and released the lein. So for a while, I had a mortgage but was lein free. Face With Tears Of Joy
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8188 posts
2827 upvotes
Maple
You should have the deed when bought the house, the lawyer should had handled this. Mortgage is with bank, even you finished paying off mortgage, they will send you a letter that mortgage is done and discharged.
Jun 8, 2009
152 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
The OP mortgage is/was registered as “collateral” so it will not be discharged until he closes his heloc and visa that are tied together.
Aug 14, 2020
180 posts
166 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
wysiwyg wrote: Thanks both for the info/link. I do have a HELOC account tied to the mortgage (although with $0) borrowed. Plus I have the Scotia Card linked to the STEP for the reduced annual fee. Might be time to close these once and for all.
You've got it. They can't discharge it if you still want access to the HELOC. That's the HE part of the HE-LOC Winking Face

That's a decision you have to make. Discharge vs. access to funds at a reasonable rate.
_

Getting a mortgage is like writing a test...except you're allowed to work with someone who knows the answers!

Kirby Reschny
Mortgage Agent
Real Mortgage Associates (FSRA #10464)