Automotive

Paying cash for tires - any issues with that?

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2015 11:34 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1992 posts
154 upvotes
Vaughan

Paying cash for tires - any issues with that?

I need to get new set of tires and can get a small discount if I pay cash - is there any disadvantage paying cash (or certified cheque) for tires?
I am not sure if I can take any advantage from additional "warranty" from credit cards or anything else.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3895 posts
2812 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2007
1224 posts
92 upvotes
Sometimes places give a cash discount because using debit or credit incurs a cost to the business - moreso on the credit side of things, which I believe the vendor pays 2-2.5% of the charge to Visa/MC/etc, which is nonrefundable to them.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26924 posts
11358 upvotes
Socially Distanced
CoolDudeClan wrote: No warranty on wear items I imagine, so paying cash is fine.
Most tires have warranties, check the ones your considering on google for more information
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2252 posts
749 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The only disadvantage I see is taking time to go to the bank.. Other then that, who cares what you pay with?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22382 posts
3257 upvotes
As long as the discount is larger than the reward forgone.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6865 posts
2661 upvotes
BC
No problem at all - as long as they give you a receipt for the cash payment and will stand behind the product and the service supplied (install & balance).
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1992 posts
353 upvotes
Mississauga
No problems, I paid cash for mine, just get a receipt. Seller doesn't need to pay CC so passes savings onto you
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
As long as you get the full receipt along with warranty, no issue with paying cash.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1258 posts
1350 upvotes
Toronto, ON
conix67 wrote: As long as you get the full receipt along with warranty, no issue with paying cash.
The thing is most times paying cash means no receipt as the transaction goes under the table (no taxes, hence no GST number on the bill). I'd be hesitant since most tires come with a warranty.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7507 posts
3681 upvotes
Canuckland
speedkar9 wrote: The thing is most times paying cash means no receipt as the transaction goes under the table (no taxes, hence no GST number on the bill). I'd be hesitant since most tires come with a warranty.
BS.

I bought new sets last year ~ 1 K paid cash, tax free and got my receipt for rebates.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1100 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto
DealCanuck wrote: BS.

I bought new sets last year ~ 1 K paid cash, tax free and got my receipt for rebates.
+1, i paid cash last yr for my winter tires. Got both receipt and MIR. I paid cash as well when I bought tires from costco.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4031 upvotes
Toronto
cash means your a drug dealer!
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
DealCanuck wrote: BS.

How do you purchase *anything* without paying tax?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26924 posts
11358 upvotes
Socially Distanced
DealCanuck wrote: Mafia :razz:
You make a good point, its not a tax, its a protection fee. :lol:
In Ohio the party of big business wants to get around constitutional laws that prevent the government charging people money to vote in elections by making a voter identity card mandatory that costs money. It should be technically legal, but it accomplishes the same thing as the illegal act.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10100 posts
8120 upvotes
Kootenays
Inclemental wrote: +1, i paid cash last yr for my winter tires. Got both receipt and MIR. I paid cash as well when I bought tires from costco.
You didn't even read the sentence you quoted. It said tax free. You didn't get your tires tax free from Costco. (nor any kind of discount for cash!)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)