Paying Enercare $50/month Water Heater Rental? NEW HOME

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2022 4:50 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2007
518 posts
33 upvotes

Paying Enercare $50/month Water Heater Rental? NEW HOME

Hi guys, I looked around RFD and looks like most people are paying way less on their water heater units. I'm wondering why they are charging me $50 / month in including taxes. Seems excessive?
The unit is: Envirosense Power Vent Water Heater - MODEL 6G50 76N SERIES 110
http://www.gsw-wh.com/assets/documents/ ... 04-000.pdf
https://www.enercare.ca/sites/default/f ... _Table.pdf

The cost is $3500 to buy it out since its my first year of ownership - Envirosense 5076 PV
Hopefully this table helps out some other people

I called them and they gave me 3/mo free rental and said I can call back once that 3/month period is up to get a reduced buyout amount
Should I keep this unit and pay the $3500? Seems like a lot to me! OR should I look into other water heaters?
Our home is new and the unit is less than a year old. Seems to do a good job, other than how quickly we get hot water in the upstairs washrooms in the morning in winter - takes about a minute sometimes...

Looking for guidance before I bite the bullet and pay $3500 + HST to buy this unit out. What other option do I have?
-=Strider-g3=-
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4839 posts
2763 upvotes
Striderg3 wrote: The unit is: Envirosense Power Vent Water Heater - MODEL 6G50 76N SERIES 110
What is the retail purchase price for this heater?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9086 posts
2087 upvotes
This is something everyone buying a new home needs to be aware of, with some builders both the furnace and air conditioner are rentals too alongside that water heater.

I understand the financial motives of the builders as they get a backend payout for each one of these that get installed hence why the buyouts for these are big too. Just imagine what the monthly rental of a furnace, air conditioner along with the water heater would be? Worse than any horror movie that I could think of.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Jan 16, 2018
2 posts
Striderg3 wrote: Hi guys, I looked around RFD and looks like most people are paying way less on their water heater units. I'm wondering why they are charging me $50 / month in including taxes. Seems excessive?

The cost is $3500 to buy it out since its my first year of ownership - Envirosense 5076 PV

I called them and they gave me 3/mo free rental and said I can call back once that 3/month period is up to get a reduced buyout amount
Should I keep this unit and pay the $3500? Seems like a lot to me! OR should I look into other water heaters?
Our home is new and the unit is less than a year old. Seems to do a good job, other than how quickly we get hot water in the upstairs washrooms in the morning in winter - takes about a minute sometimes...

Looking for guidance before I bite the bullet and pay $3500 + HST to buy this unit out. What other option do I have?
Just wondering what you did on this issue ? , I'm exactly in the same situation.
Jan 19, 2013
669 posts
566 upvotes
Ottawa
It’s high efficiency unit that’s why it’s more
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3638 posts
2116 upvotes
Woodbridge
Envirosense is a hybrid high input / high-efficiency tank which is quite expensive to buy even retail. This tank cannot be compared with regular tanks and IIRC, it's required by building code to meet the requirements of efficient homes. That is why these tanks are not more prevalent in all new communities. If needed, this tank can also be used for heating besides hot water supply. Parts are expensive so just do your calculations on ROI before you make any decision.
Striderg3 wrote: Hi guys, I looked around RFD and looks like most people are paying way less on their water heater units. I'm wondering why they are charging me $50 / month in including taxes. Seems excessive?

HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
[OP]
Dec 12, 2007
518 posts
33 upvotes
I wish there was an alternative to this unit. On the top floor of our home, we usually wait 50-60 seconds in the morning and on cold days for hot water to reach the tap... unless you open the tap on the hottest setting at full blast.. then its a little less but its a waste of water
-=Strider-g3=-
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4839 posts
2763 upvotes
Striderg3 wrote: I wish there was an alternative to this unit. On the top floor of our home, we usually wait 50-60 seconds in the morning and on cold days for hot water to reach the tap... unless you open the tap on the hottest setting at full blast.. then its a little less but its a waste of water
Wouldn't matter what heater you would have as you'll get the same problem. It's not the water heater causing this. Try insulating your lines or run a recirc system if you want instantaneous hot water.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12957 posts
4063 upvotes
GTA
Striderg3 wrote: I wish there was an alternative to this unit. On the top floor of our home, we usually wait 50-60 seconds in the morning and on cold days for hot water to reach the tap... unless you open the tap on the hottest setting at full blast.. then its a little less but its a waste of water
That's a long time. On the very coldest mornings, the max I wait is about 15 seconds for my upstairs shower water to get warm ( I stand there naked counting :) )

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12957 posts
4063 upvotes
GTA
Steelyman wrote: Just wondering what you did on this issue ?
+1

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)