• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 8:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1267 posts
336 upvotes

Paying off Koodo Tab early and porting out

I just want to make sure I have everything correct before I go ahead. My parents are currently with Koodo but I would like to switch them to a different company that has a better offer. Last August my parents got a new phone which was $0 upfront and $240 on small tab so I've gone ahead into their account and selected to pay off the remaining balance (it says it will show up on the next bill). Am I safe to port them out now or do I have to wait for the next bill and pay it off first? I'm afraid they will get charged a fee for having not actually given Koodo the money yet for the phone.

Thanks in advance! I've never had a tab myself so I just want to make sure I don't incur any unnecessary fees on them.

Edit: I've done some further reading and I see now that Koodo only just changed the terms in August of last year so they would owe whatever money was discounted from the price of the phone as well? Would that apply to phone tabs started in the entire month of August? They got their in early August if it makes a difference.
5 replies
Jul 2, 2011
278 posts
168 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Koodo's policy changed in mid August but I don't remember the exact date. They may have dodged a bullet but check their contract to be sure.

In answer to your question, there's no need to wait. They will be issued a prorated bill.

Tom
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36154 posts
9417 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Assume the worse and you will have to pay full price for the phones

There is no need to clear the account. You should just port out tomorrow. Koodo will send you an invoice for the current month and for any balance owing on the TAB
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21002 posts
10515 upvotes
Oakville
strippedaway wrote: Edit: I've done some further reading and I see now that Koodo only just changed the terms in August of last year so they would owe whatever money was discounted from the price of the phone as well? Would that apply to phone tabs started in the entire month of August? They got their in early August if it makes a difference.
Double check your parents' contract, if you can find it. It was "officially" announced on August 26th last year (https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/08/26/kood ... cel-early/), but I believe it took effect on the 25th. Some people who signed up on the 23/24th reported not getting contracts at all, and then Koodo tried to send them updated contracts later with the new policy in place, so they had to file CCTS complaints. But if your parents signed up on the 22nd or before, they *should* be fine. Again, though, best to check their contracts if you can find them (they usually get emailed, but occasionally they don't due to screwups on Koodo's part and/or not providing an email on sign up).

Just for your own (and anybody else's, who's not aware of the new policy) information... How it works under the new system is that when you cancel, you have to pay off:

1 - the pro-rated remainder of your device balance (x/24 * initial device balance, where x is the number of months remaining in your contract)
2 - the pro-rated remainder of your up-front device discount (x/24 * up-front device discount, where x is the number of months remaining in your contract)

Under the old system, you only had to pay off #1 from above.
Sep 5, 2013
161 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
wearysky wrote: Double check your parents' contract, if you can find it. It was "officially" announced on August 26th last year (https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/08/26/kood ... cel-early/), but I believe it took effect on the 25th. Some people who signed up on the 23/24th reported not getting contracts at all, and then Koodo tried to send them updated contracts later with the new policy in place, so they had to file CCTS complaints. But if your parents signed up on the 22nd or before, they *should* be fine. Again, though, best to check their contracts if you can find them (they usually get emailed, but occasionally they don't due to screwups on Koodo's part and/or not providing an email on sign up).

Just for your own (and anybody else's, who's not aware of the new policy) information... How it works under the new system is that when you cancel, you have to pay off:

1 - the pro-rated remainder of your device balance (x/24 * initial device balance, where x is the number of months remaining in your contract)
2 - the pro-rated remainder of your up-front device discount (x/24 * up-front device discount, where x is the number of months remaining in your contract)

Thanks for that reminder. I hadn't thought out point #2. That would definitely make one think about jumping ship early for a 'better' deal.

Edit: I'm with Koodo and just looked around on my online account. They call it 'Tab Bonus' (the original discounted amount of the phone). Although I've paid off my phone in full (0 Tab), I cannot find what I would owe, if I were to jump ship prior to the 24 month time period.
That seems a tad sneaky to not reveal that amount, unless you call in.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1267 posts
336 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Double check your parents' contract, if you can find it. It was "officially" announced on August 26th last year (https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/08/26/kood ... cel-early/), but I believe it took effect on the 25th. Some people who signed up on the 23/24th reported not getting contracts at all, and then Koodo tried to send them updated contracts later with the new policy in place, so they had to file CCTS complaints. But if your parents signed up on the 22nd or before, they *should* be fine. Again, though, best to check their contracts if you can find them (they usually get emailed, but occasionally they don't due to screwups on Koodo's part and/or not providing an email on sign up).

Thanks for the replies, everyone! They signed up within in the second week of August so long before the 25th. And below is what I believe is the contract. It's the only thing I can find in their email that details the phone and amounts. It doesn't say anything about needing to pay back the phone discount. Can you tell me if this looks right?