Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1966 posts
196 upvotes

Paying taxes using online banking

I got notice of reassessment for last year's taxes and I need to pay CRA an outstanding balance. I'm using Tangerine online banking and I was wondering which one of these payees should I direct the payment to?

- CRA (revenue)-(2014)-tax owing
- CRA (revenue)-past tax owed
- CRA (revenue)-tax installments or a similar payees
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5087 posts
960 upvotes
Peterborough
PiusPatronus wrote: I got notice of reassessment for last year's taxes and I need to pay CRA an outstanding balance. I'm using Tangerine online banking and I was wondering which one of these payees should I direct the payment to?

- CRA (revenue)-(2014)-tax owing
- CRA (revenue)-past tax owed
- CRA (revenue)-tax installments or a similar payees
Past tax owed. Although it has been my understanding that cra screws the allocation up even if you chose that so it is a good idea to check my account or call them to follow up after a week or so.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1966 posts
196 upvotes
Also, under "Account Number", I'm assuming that it's my social insurance number?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1886 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
PiusPatronus wrote: Also, under "Account Number", I'm assuming that it's my social insurance number?
Yes, that is correct.
Feb 4, 2015
193 posts
85 upvotes
York, ON
dutchca wrote: Past tax owed. Although it has been my understanding that cra screws the allocation up even if you chose that so it is a good idea to check my account or call them to follow up after a week or so.
Absolutely this. I'd even go as far as to call the CRA beforehand as ask them explicitly which payee to make the payment to. If you need to correct after the fact it can be a pain in the backside.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7876 posts
4002 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
dutchca wrote: Past tax owed. Although it has been my understanding that cra screws the allocation up even if you chose that so it is a good idea to check my account or call them to follow up after a week or so.
Also, take screen shot or printout for your records.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2983 upvotes
RaySkunk wrote: Absolutely this. I'd even go as far as to call the CRA beforehand as ask them explicitly which payee to make the payment to. If you need to correct after the fact it can be a pain in the backside.
I think dutcha's advice is sufficient. You think you can rely on somebody at CRA who answers the phone to know? The choices provided by OP make it quite obvious which payee to use.
Feb 4, 2015
193 posts
85 upvotes
York, ON
Conquistador wrote: You think you can rely on somebody at CRA who answers the phone to know?
Well, I should hope so, as that's their job. Everytime I've called the CRA I've always gotten the information I needed. YMMV.
Personally when it comes to taxes and dealing with the CRA I take zero chances; a quick phone call is little effort and can prevent hurt down the line.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2983 upvotes
RaySkunk wrote: Well, I should hope so, as that's their job. Everytime I've called the CRA I've always gotten the information I needed. YMMV.
Personally when it comes to taxes and dealing with the CRA I take zero chances; a quick phone call is little effort and can prevent hurt down the line.
And what part of the three choices presented by OP cause the biggest concern? Isn't the answer obvious? When the smoke clears, money will be credited to OP's CRA account. As dutcha said, and the same can be said for the people who answer the phone, they're notorious for screwing up. As such, dutcha's suggestion of following up after the fact to confirm the money made it to the right "account" of the OP is more than sufficient.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)