• Mar 20th, 2019 3:10 pm
Oct 5, 2005
68 posts
72 upvotes
Scarborough
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 3:10 am
Walmart has some damn good shoes!
I'd rather pay $49.94 (plus tax) for a pair of Dr. Scholls shoes knowing that it is not only a name brand, but also a very comfortable shoe that will last a while
instead of spending ten dollars less on a so called going out of business discounted shoe brand that I have never heard of, only to have to go back to Walmart to buy a longer lasting shoe after only a very short time.

I went to the walmart after Payless and found that the shoes at walmart were just as bad. No names. Not the top shelf brands but for those on the lower end of the pay scale, it will suffice. Payless had Champion brand shoes and other shoes that were licensed by Disney so I am sure Disney will do "some" due diligence to ensure that the shoe they license out their brands to are not going to fall apart in a month if they are willing to put their name on it.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11634 posts
11968 upvotes
Walmart's shoe section is just a mini-Payless Shoes. Mostly short-lived garbage.
Jul 21, 2005
166 posts
117 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 8:55 am
Walmart's shoe section is just a mini-Payless Shoes. Mostly short-lived garbage.
Yes mostly garbage -- the big benefit is for those of us with 30lb toddlers.
The walmart and payless shitty shoes take just as much punishment as any $50 pair of Adidas or Puma's i've bought for my kids.

When my 3 year old started dance classes, we got ballet shoes from payless for like 8 bucks...a year later they're still fine, and she won't fit in them next year, so there's no way I'd buy a better / more expensive pair.
Feb 16, 2019
29 posts
22 upvotes
Low end garbage. Wouldn't take their shoes if they were free.
Jun 28, 2013
95 posts
126 upvotes
You know the saying...."there is a sucker born every minute"
Jun 9, 2002
174 posts
54 upvotes
They had good stuff in their heydey, maybe 15-20 years ago, but then they started to sell overpriced junk.

Their business model ultimately failed because the Chinese market consumed its own principal by preserving all the surplus Indian leather for its own, and trying to hawk the stuff people wouldn't buy in China to the west.

Maybe one day we'll become China's China, but today is not that day.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11634 posts
11968 upvotes
ReadAllTheDeals wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 10:38 am
Isn't this typical sales level for Payless?
It's the sleepiest store in most malls. You can almost smell the dilapidation and human suffering infused into each shoe... all of which would be fine if the pricing and quality were up to par.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14743 posts
2770 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 8:55 am
George brand, yes. Dr. Sholls still very good shoes.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11147 posts
2036 upvotes
that's how all shoe company operates tho ?
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 5:03 pm
Did some research.

Shenzen chinese stock. Produced at $4 a pair, sold at $35. Falls apart in months.

Bankruptcy isn't a shocker.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11634 posts
11968 upvotes
sexyj wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 12:08 pm
that's how all shoe company operates tho ?
Not quite, QA increases cost.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11147 posts
2036 upvotes
How much you think a pair of nike cost to make?

$6? $8? $10?

I think you are underestimating the value of a "$4 shoe"
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 12:16 pm
Not quite, QA increases cost.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11634 posts
11968 upvotes
sexyj wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 12:23 pm
How much you think a pair of nike cost to make?

$6? $8? $10?

I think you are underestimating the value of a "$4 shoe"
QA increasing cost is a non-controversial statement. For a variety of reasons, Payless Shoes is terrible at managing it's value chain, products cost too much and provide too little value... and they smell just like the factories that produce their shoes. Musty is the most charitable description.
Nov 17, 2014
506 posts
542 upvotes
QC
Bought a pair at payless once. Construction shoes. Some metallic part broke off the shoe after like 2 uses which made it difficult to lace up.
Went back to the store, got an exchange, resold the pair.
Then bought a pair at canadian tire. After gently (true!) using them for 2 weeks, they started unstitching. Went back to CT and got an exchange for another pair I kept.
Everytime the process was very easy. Companies need to make sure they dont buy CRAP or else it will come back to them.... Customers are getting increasingly difficult.
Shame for Payless, but will probably not miss it. Next up, Yellow?