Shopping Discussion

PayPal Canada introducting account inactivty fees of $20/yr

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2021 12:30 pm
Jul 2, 2006
10 posts
2 upvotes
PayPal is giving $5 reward to login and click on banner. I received when I click it.
So now balance 1.95 + 5 = 6.95 will donate to Charity.
Offer Period: Starts at 12:00 a.m Eastern Time (“ET”) on August 16, 2021 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on August 31, 2021 (“Offer Period”).
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14358 posts
3600 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
The banner I see is to personalize payments with new stickers. A real red hot feature :D .
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37696 posts
5453 upvotes
Winnipeg
Biscayne05 wrote: Just start using them for your AliExpress purchases. I dont see an issue with this
aliexpress accepts paypal now? they didn't used to.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Jul 24, 2012
928 posts
181 upvotes
divx wrote: aliexpress accepts paypal now? they didn't used to.
Watch out for cash advance fee with that. I learned my lesson.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1984 upvotes
Paypal is terrible - after seeing this, I tried to log in to my US account too, but it won't allow me. It asks me to put in a phone number and I do, but then won't accept it.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37696 posts
5453 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dealfinder111 wrote: Watch out for cash advance fee with that. I learned my lesson.
what is this about?
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56484 posts
21536 upvotes
I can't even close my account.

Before you close your account…
Sorry, there's a problem. If you keep seeing this, please contact customer service.

Silly paypal!

You can't close your account if there are limitations, unresolved issues, or a balance. Here's how to close your PayPal account:

Click the Settings icon next to "Log out".
Click Close your account under "Account options".
Enter your bank account number if requested.
Click Close Account.
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
493 upvotes
Just received email that I was charged $20. Logged in, filed an unauthorized transaction complaint and PayPal locked me out of my account entirely refusing my password and offering to unlock only using security questions I no longer remember and phone number I no longer own.

Had around $50 there. Wow, what a dick move.

Smells like another class action.

Update: was able to restore my access after call with PayPal support, reset phone# and security questions. Support did not want to deal with my complaint about unauthorized $20 charge, said I already filed dispute so let dispute run its course.

Update: PayPal decided that the transaction was not unauthorized. Pulled all money from it and removed bank account to prevent further theft and trying to close the PayPal account but PP wants to call my old phone number to confirm even though that was already changed hours ago. What a mess ..

Is there a class action or group small claim? I would like to join.
Feb 1, 2019
320 posts
132 upvotes
Alberta
I saw User Agreement Change email I didn't bothered reading or opening it, last time I used PayPal was 4 yrs ago it's attached to Hotmail account no longer exist as I closed it (hacked), I used another email for recovery, PP has been sending me 2 emails each month since Aug as **REMINDER!! Sorry we have missed you ...Haven't seen you on PP...We added $5 Credit in your account towards your next purchase, pleas login hope to see you soon.*** Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Their system is ********, it didn't recognized USD visa trying to pay for US purchase, showing me PP offers a better exchange rate, keeps changing conversion back to CDN on US card. I stopped using it and direct buy with company or use Amazon.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2186 posts
1581 upvotes
Vancouver
ramon2 wrote: Just received email that I was charged $20. Logged in, filed an unauthorized transaction complaint and PayPal locked me out of my account entirely refusing my password and offering to unlock only using security questions I no longer remember and phone number I no longer own.

Had around $50 there. Wow, what a dick move.

Smells like another class action.

Update: was able to restore my access after call with PayPal support, reset phone# and security questions. Support did not want to deal with my complaint about unauthorized $20 charge, said I already filed dispute so let dispute run its course.

Update: PayPal decided that the transaction was not unauthorized. Pulled all money from it and removed bank account to prevent further theft and trying to close the PayPal account but PP wants to call my old phone number to confirm even though that was already changed hours ago. What a mess ..

Is there a class action or group small claim? I would like to join.
Call their support Monday morning and one of their US based agents should be able fix it. Don't call during non-business hours in the US, as the international teams are often not as helpful
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Aug 14, 2021
426 posts
712 upvotes
Over Yonder
Just closed my account, don't want to deal with this headache.