• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2017 10:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes

Paypal Dispute Case

I filed a case from an ebay purchase with payment through Paypal as I haven't received the product in over two months. The seller responds saying that they will resend the product to me (Note: it is only $5 worth). But they said they can't resend me when there is an open case, thus they want me to close the case first. My question is that if I close the case, and they don't resend/I never receive anything. What else I will be able to do ? I assume I will not be able to reopen the closed case, right ? Any suggestion ?

The seller sounds very polite, but I have been burnt once with a "very polite" seller, asking me to send the defective product back, and at the end they kept saying they never received my mail and worst later they even closed the ebay account. That's why I am being skeptical now.....

By the way, in general , when there is a dispute, should I contact ebay or Paypal ? I know I can only report to one or the other (not both).
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
Let Paypal deal with it. Don't close the case.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Let Paypal deal with it. Don't close the case.
Just curious, does Paypal actually hold certain amount of fund/the sale amount from buyer for certain period ? e.g. 60 days If so, my refund will actually come from that holding fund. Is it correct?
Dec 28, 2010
637 posts
287 upvotes
Man up. You bought it on e bay and you should deal with the seller! Give them a bad rating on your current purchase and let them know when you receive the new item you will revise the rating. Leave PayPal out of your problem. You can also complain with ebay... :)
Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror. | Byron Katie
Aug 9, 2005
796 posts
287 upvotes
rdx wrote: Just curious, does Paypal actually hold certain amount of fund/the sale amount from buyer for certain period ? e.g. 60 days If so, my refund will actually come from that holding fund. Is it correct?
They do, it depends on the length the seller has been registered and their ratings.
Keep in mind the dispute process is going to take another month or maybe longer. I was lucky for my case because the seller's account was banned by ebay because of fraudulent activity, and even then it still took a couple weeks to get my money back.

You have to decide if the $5 is worth your time, or if you'd rather think of it as a fee to leave bad feedback so that others don't get swindled.
I don't downvote. Why? Karma.
Sep 8, 2006
918 posts
576 upvotes
Edmonton
I don't get why the seller can't send the replacement if the case is open. I would not close the case. Might be easier to get your $5 back and then place another order.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
VESTEGAARD wrote: Man up. You bought it on e bay and you should deal with the seller! Give them a bad rating on your current purchase and let them know when you receive the new item you will revise the rating. Leave PayPal out of your problem. You can also complain with ebay... :)
Worst advice ever.

The whole point of buying things on eBay is because of Paypal Buyer Protection - it's literally built into the eBay site. If you close your case, you're effectively saying that the issue has been satisfactorily resolved, and you won't be able to open up a new case if they don't re-send the item.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6422 posts
1083 upvotes
VESTEGAARD wrote: Man up. You bought it on e bay and you should deal with the seller! Give them a bad rating on your current purchase and let them know when you receive the new item you will revise the rating. Leave PayPal out of your problem. You can also complain with ebay... :)
I wasn't aware that you could revise ratings.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1931 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
I have been buying small items off ebay for the past few years. In the past 90% of what I order arrived. For some reason, 50% of the items i ordered during black friday never show up. I had to open multiple cases to chase down $5-10. I wonder if this is a new strategy for ebay sellers to make $ - don't send the item and hope you forget.