[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2828 posts
86 upvotes

Paypal: Limited Account Access

Today I got an email from Paypal. Below is the transcript of the email:

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding your account.

Case ID Number: XX-XXX-XXX-XXX

For your protection, we have limited access to your account until additional security measures can be completed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright � 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal Email ID XXXXX

I logged into Paypal (via my own link) and I could find a case being opened. Then it asks for copy of my Driver License, Health Card w/ photo and utility bill with my address on it.

Anyone gets something like this in the past? Can Paypal obtain these information legally? Thanks in advance!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
1172 posts
231 upvotes
Montreal
Friend seems like a fake email you got there how did you log into your account by the link that mail gave or what?

For myself, people have often tried to fool me but they are such amateurs! Just checl the "sender" email adress and tell us is it something like "paypal@services.com"
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21286 posts
2113 upvotes
Basically...your SOL. Other than doing what they ask, there is nothing you can do. See: PayPalSucks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2828 posts
86 upvotes
lil_azn wrote:
Nov 18th, 2008 9:57 pm
Friend seems like a fake email you got there how did you log into your account by the link that mail gave or what?

For myself, people have often tried to fool me but they are such amateurs! Just checl the "sender" email adress and tell us is it something like "paypal@services.com"
That's my initial thought too. That's why I logged into Paypal using my own link and found out there is a case opened with the exact case number as specified in the email. The sender address is service@intl.paypal.com. There is no link inside the body of the email.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
1172 posts
231 upvotes
Montreal
torseller07 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2008 10:09 pm
That's my initial thought too. That's why I logged into Paypal using my own link and found out there is a case opened with the exact case number as specified in the email. The sender address is service@intl.paypal.com. There is no link inside the body of the email.
:) Dont worry buddy, service@intl.paypal.com is a fake mail! just copy and paste that adress into google and youl see.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2828 posts
86 upvotes
Oh don't worry, I haven't been using Paypal for a while. No money inside. :)

I don't know. Is there any way that hackers can hijack a link that I type in myself (www.paypal.com) in a browser? I was using Firefox 3.0.4. Firefox confirms the link I typed in is legitimate.

(Well actually I think they could, if my Firefox has been compromised ahead of time. Anyway I can find out?)
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
1172 posts
231 upvotes
Montreal
torseller07 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2008 10:26 pm
Oh don't worry, I haven't been using Paypal for a while. No money inside. :)

I don't know. Is there any way that hackers can hijack a link that I type in myself (www.paypal.com) in a browser? I was using Firefox 3.0.4. Firefox confirms the link I typed in is legitimate.

(Well actually I think they could, if my Firefox has been compromised ahead of time. Anyway I can find out?)
Try from another computer, be sure its gonna be https
Jan 27, 2004
640 posts
16 upvotes
i had something like this recently then looked at the address was spoofed!
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
2984 posts
382 upvotes
This is spam. I've received a couple of these before. Do not click on the link.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2828 posts
86 upvotes
Logged into Paypal on other machine with Firefox 3.0.4 and https. Same result.

And in case people haven't read yet, I didn't click on any links nor there are any links provided in the body of the email.
Banned
Jul 16, 2003
10398 posts
1464 upvotes
Toronto
Call paypal at :

1 888 221 1161

and ask them whats going on.
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
Mortgage Intelligence - FSCO# 10428
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2828 posts
86 upvotes
OK will call Paypal tomorrow. Thanks!

EDIT: Account resumed to normal after I submit the required identification.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1217 posts
246 upvotes
Ottawa
torseller07 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2008 9:54 pm
I logged into Paypal (via my own link) and I could find a case being opened. Then it asks for copy of my Driver License, Health Card w/ photo and utility bill with my address on it.

Anyone gets something like this in the past? Can Paypal obtain these information legally? Thanks in advance!
Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario:
http://www.ipc.on.ca/index.asp?navid=46&fid1=288

Who can require you to provide your health card?

Only persons who provide provincially funded health resources may require
individuals to produce their health cards...

Can I use my health card number to prove my identity
to third parties?

The Act generally forbids third parties from collecting or using your health
number, for example by taking note of your number or photocopying your
health card...
It's a little late because you've already provided your information, but PayPal should never have asked for your Health Card info. If you are very confidant that this was legitimately from PayPal, then you should consider reporting them to the Privacy Commissioner.