• Apr 1st, 2008 1:30 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
Sending items to the US using Expedited parcel is kinda risky for I know from experience where 99% of the items that I've sold are shipped to the US using Expedited. There are a couple of things to keep in mind when you're dealing with customers..
When you are contacting your customer about shipping details you must state clearly....

1. Package can take as long as 12 BUSINESS days to arrive because the estimated days of arrival quoted on the Canada Post website is really an ESTIMATE and is rarely accurate.

2. BUSINESS DAYS means Monday-Friday which is 5 days a full week and the US works on 6 days which causes misunderstandings.

3. When communicating with your customer, ALWAYS send messages through ebay with the "contact buyer" function because it is then recorded under your messages inbox and sent folder.

4. Expedited US is automatically covered for $100 insurance but make sure that you buy enough insurance to cover the entire value of the package including the shipping cost.

5. YOu have to make clear to the buyer that Expedited Parcel provides a DELIVERY CONFIRMATION and not a full tracking service. Package is only scanned in at the originators post office and logged again once it is successfully sent. Many buyers of mine in the past usually gets nervous when a week later Canada Post tracking still says package is received at post office.

6. Here's one thing that pisses me off... Canada Post sucks. eg. I have a package sent out November of 2006 and till this very day if I log in the tracking number it still DOES NOT say that package has been successfull sent to receiver and if my buyer was not an honest person they can use that against me and say that they never received the parcel.

7. Track your packages on the www.usps.com site with the same canadapost tracking number because they update on the same day that package was delivered to the buyer and gives better detail.. ie. attempt delivery at so and so time and notification was left for person to pick up or reschedule 2nd delivery.

Finally, I really don't think that you'll have a problem getting your money back from ebay because you are not at fault. Have a scanned copy of your package payment receipt and expedited parcel receipt(one with tracking#) for them to review to prove that you have sent the package to that buyer because the carbon copy of the Expedited parcel receipt shows a dated postal stamp and address with the details of receiver.
If you can't get your money back from Ebay then file a lost package claim against Canada Post. You will have to wait 30 days after parcel has sent and you'll need to give them contact information of the buyer to confirm. If Canada Post confirms that buyer has not received package then you get your insured value back but if they confirm that buyer has received package then you ask them to send you a email and letter confirmation and you contact Ebay again and say LOOK! I want my money back.

I hope this is helpful for you my friend.

Good luck
Deal Addict
May 20, 2006
1390 posts
T-Man wrote: Dam so EMT is the way to go right?
WRONG. EMT only works if the seller is in Canada and he/she has an online bank account to receive the money. Don't EMT unless you completely trust the person. Once the money is gone, it's gone.
For Sale: ►iPod accessories + Sandisk Sansa Cable◄

My feedbacks: HeatWare
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6634 posts
1250 upvotes
Toronto
Just ranting here - rather than make a new post:

Sold a high-end cell phone on ebay. Had 20 hi-quality pix on ebay to show its in good condition. Clearly said, it is working but USED item in good condition. Selling AS IS.
Buyer receives it (who has zero feedback) and opens a case that its not the same. He wants $40 more dollars. Was v.disrespectful in emails. I gave him more than $40 item for free anyway!! (that were NOT in the auction)

I emailed paypal and clearly showed all his concerns are bogus. Paypal took 2 months and decided that he will send me back the product (from states).
Now I am afraid paypal is going to refund his amount and I will be stuck with defective product (by buyer).
Plus stuck with ebay + Paypal + Customs + Shippings ... fees!!

Is there something I can do?
(Tried emailing them twice, no reply. Last time when the limit my account for no reason, phone person kept saying - email them. They are useless on the phone)
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters ... until its solved.
Stay in the know - subscribe.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
PrinceMS wrote: Just ranting here - rather than make a new post:

Sold a high-end cell phone on ebay. Had 20 hi-quality pix on ebay to show its in good condition. Clearly said, it is working but USED item in good condition. Selling AS IS.
Buyer receives it (who has zero feedback) and opens a case that its not the same. He wants $40 more dollars. Was v.disrespectful in emails. I gave him more than $40 item for free anyway!! (that were NOT in the auction)

I emailed paypal and clearly showed all his concerns are bogus. Paypal took 2 months and decided that he will send me back the product (from states).
Now I am afraid paypal is going to refund his amount and I will be stuck with defective product (by buyer).
Plus stuck with ebay + Paypal + Customs + Shippings ... fees!!

Is there something I can do?
(Tried emailing them twice, no reply. Last time when the limit my account for no reason, phone person kept saying - email them. They are useless on the phone)
Are you serious?

If it's stated AS-IS in the auction, you do not have to refund his money. It's his fault for not reading the auction carefully. If he sends it back, don't accept the package (if signature is required).

At least I wouldn't. PayPal is really started to piss me off.

Last month I sold something on eBay. I was having trouble printing the label, and when I finally got the printer working, it told me I couldn't print it anymore!! So I called them up and the ***** told me she couldn't do anything about it besides void it and buy a new one, and CanadaPost would refund me my $8 back.

So instead of getting $35 + $10 shipping on an item, I got $25USD cause CP still hasn't refunded my money (it's been over a month).
Banned
Sep 2, 2006
5645 posts
3 upvotes
+1

i hate paypal
ItemFinder wrote: Let me point out that the only people that like China are the mainlanders. Chinese from elsewhere refuse to be associated with China.
I always knew you were a genius.
Sep 24, 2006
577 posts
57 upvotes
Didn't really read this fully but. I recently sold something on ebay and Canadapost lost it. Although my buyer didn't go through paypal and file a dispute I did file one through Canadapost. So long as you insured it they will investigate it and will contact through you and the buyer. With my case it was almost hassle free and they sent me a cheque for the amount of the item insurance plus the cost of shipping. Just make sure you still have the tracking number and everything.. my situation was ALSO shipping through the US so give it a shot.
Nov 15, 2004
944 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I must be having the wrost luck lately with ebay/paypal.

I have been on ebay/payapl for many years but never realy had a problem till lately. I just had an european buyer file a claim for a $50 item, and now my paypal balance is negative and i've been getting calls from paypal.

Then I create a new paypal acct.
And now I just sent a coupon that's worth a $140 to a buyer in the states with 0 feedback. I hesitated to do it but still did.

Since you can't insure coupons I just sent it like normal mail and took a video of me mailing it. And now the buyer is harrasing me every 2 days about tracking number which I don't have of course.

I told him I have a video proving that I sent it but he's telling me to suck his d*ck while watching that video and he'll file a claim w/paypal anyways. I asked him to wait because he's a new buyer created on the day of the auciton end, and he tells me he's on ebay sincd 1998. Ok, so now I'm seriously screwed and I know that payapl will just rule in favor of the buyer.

I closed my payapl accout as soon as i withdrew the money because I suspected something was wrong wiht this buyer.

I hope nothing will happen to me because I already closed my paypal acct.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2003
2936 posts
261 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
This is the reason I don't have anything to do with Paypal. Often time its the seller, thats right seller that gets scammed. As for shipping, I always insists on Expresspost w/tracking and insurance. Also, if I'm shipping something to someone who I'm kinda iffy about, I will also select the Signature option as well, costs what, $1.50 more?
Tung(Tom)Nguyen
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2893 posts
53 upvotes
In theory Ebay and PayPal should work "flawlessly"....

BUT... like a lot of things... they don't =P

Hence why I stay away from Ebay and Paypal ESPECIALLY....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)