Shopping Discussion

PayPal refusing to refund me seller fees after someone tried scamming me with a hacked eBay account??

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 3:38 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1935 posts
4363 upvotes

PayPal refusing to refund me seller fees after someone tried scamming me with a hacked eBay account??

Long story short, someone tried to buy some electronics from me on eBay. The day I was going to ship the item, the real owner of the account sent me a message on eBay asking me for a refund because they claim their eBay and PayPal accounts had been hacked and the fraudster was the one that bought the item.

Luckily, I hadn't shipped it yet, so I immediately agreed to issue a refund for the case on PayPal. Over a month passed with complete silence on the case and the money was still sitting in my PayPal balance (I wasn't going to touch it because I wanted it to go back to the buyer).

A few days ago, eBay had finally updated the case and taken the money from my balance. But they also deducted the seller fees I paid for the transaction, and also charged me a $20 CAD chargeback fee.

So basically I am out almost $70 even though I followed all of PayPal's instructions and agreed to refund the seller.

I messaged them asking why I am losing the seller fees because I am not at fault here, the buyer had their accounts hacked and I immediately agreed to a refund the same hour they requested it. They agreed to refund the $20 chargeback fee, but after several days of back and forth, they refuse to refund the rest of the $50 because the buyer had did a chargeback with their credit card.

How is this fair to me? I didn't even ship the item and I immediately agreed to refund the buyer! And now I am out $50 because PayPal was slow and didn't move the money from my account back to the original owner for over a month.

This is so frustrating! And I can't even find a customer service phone number for PayPal, all their customer service on their site redirects to their useless chat service, which isn't helpful at all because it's a completely different person responding to me every single time I reply!
23 replies
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47766 posts
8475 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sorry to hear about this OP. Something seems off here, though, whenever I had resolved a case in the past, and agreed to refund the buyer, the money was reversed right away. I'm not sure why it would have taken over a month.

A cancelled eBay order should also reserve the final value fees automatically, which goes on to your account as a credit for the following month.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3762 posts
2443 upvotes
London
contact ebay over there live chat as the phone support is down. just explain to them what happened they will refund u the final value fee no problem.

the paypal stuff u will have to contact paypal support for. they should refund the fees the charge back one they will probably want to keep
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1935 posts
4363 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: contact ebay over there live chat as the phone support is down. just explain to them what happened they will refund u the final value fee no problem.

the paypal stuff u will have to contact paypal support for. they should refund the fees the charge back one they will probably want to keep
I am in contact with Paypal support via their live chat. They already refunded the chargeback fee, but refuse to refund the seller fees which makes no sense.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1935 posts
4363 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Sorry to hear about this OP. Something seems off here, though, whenever I had resolved a case in the past, and agreed to refund the buyer, the money was reversed right away. I'm not sure why it would have taken over a month.

A cancelled eBay order should also reserve the final value fees automatically, which goes on to your account as a credit for the following month.
I'm guessing it's because of the pandemic. If they hadn't taken so long to return the money to the buyer, they probably wouldn't have done a chargeback. But they did and now Paypal insists i should be on the hook for the seller fees...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3762 posts
2443 upvotes
London
cursayer wrote: I am in contact with Paypal support via their live chat. They already refunded the chargeback fee, but refuse to refund the seller fees which makes no sense.
when u say seller fees are u talking about the 3% paypal charges for processing the payment or the ebay final value fee? if its the ebay final value u fee then u have to contact ebay they will refund it.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47766 posts
8475 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cursayer wrote: I'm guessing it's because of the pandemic. If they hadn't taken so long to return the money to the buyer, they probably wouldn't have done a chargeback. But they did and now Paypal insists i should be on the hook for the seller fees...
You have to be specific here - eBay charges final value fees (10% or less if certain categories with an eBay store), not Paypal. Paypal only charges the 2.9% + 30 cents transaction fees. Which one are you disputing?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1935 posts
4363 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: when u say seller fees are u talking about the 3% paypal charges for processing the payment or the ebay final value fee? if its the ebay final value u fee then u have to contact ebay they will refund it.
Jon Lai wrote: You have to be specific here - eBay charges final value fees (10% or less if certain categories with an eBay store), not Paypal. Paypal only charges the 2.9% + 30 cents transaction fees. Which one are you disputing?
The PayPal 2.9% + $0.30 fees.

The eBay ones were removed immediately.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3762 posts
2443 upvotes
London
cursayer wrote: The PayPal 2.9% + $0.30 fees.

The eBay ones were removed immediately.
those should have been refunded automatically as soon as the refund was processed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1935 posts
4363 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: those should have been refunded automatically as soon as the refund was processed.
As I explained in OP, they did not refund the seller fees and charged me $20 because the buyer did a chargeback with their financial institution. Now PayPal insists the seller fees are "non-refundable", even though I am not at fault here
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1935 posts
4363 upvotes
I know that. That is why I am so frustrated. I agreed to issue a refund to the buyer when they opened their case. PayPal never took the money from my balance for over a month. Eventually the buyer got fed up and just filed a chargeback with their credit card, and now I am out my fees.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3762 posts
2443 upvotes
London
cursayer wrote: I know that. That is why I am so frustrated. I agreed to issue a refund to the buyer when they opened their case. PayPal never took the money from my balance for over a month. Eventually the buyer got fed up and just filed a chargeback with their credit card, and now I am out my fees.
why didn't u refund before they opened the charge back?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1935 posts
4363 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: why didn't u refund before they opened the charge back?
I did! When the buyer opened the case, one of the options was "Issue a full refund" or something like that. I chose that, but the money never went back to the seller.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1935 posts
4363 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: I think what you should have done is physically press the "Issue a refund" button yourself.
Does the money not automatically go back to the buyer if I agree to refund them when they open a case? I was under the assumption that giving the refund would be automated once I agreed to it... I recall there being something that said that once I agreed to the refund, they would take care of it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1935 posts
4363 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: I think what you should have done is physically press the "Issue a refund" button yourself.
I looked at an image of the PayPal case that I sent to the buyer prior to PayPal taking the money from me.

The language "You have provided a full refund" seems to imply that I had nothing else to do once I agreed to refund them. PayPal just never moved the money back to them.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47766 posts
8475 upvotes
Richmond Hill
cursayer wrote: I looked at an image of the PayPal case that I sent to the buyer prior to PayPal taking the money from me.

The language "You have provided a full refund" seems to imply that I had nothing else to do once I agreed to refund them. PayPal just never moved the money back to them.
That's weird, it looks quite black and white. Sorry, I'm out of ideas.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1010 posts
571 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Just curious if the buyer was able to PROVE his account was hacked or whether he might have changed his mind about buying and concocted a hacking story? Don't even know how one would prove that he's been hacked...other than maybe sending the seller a "today" pic of a drivers licence with a different address than the paypal confirmed address...or maybe Paypal noticed a bunch of unusual transactions?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1935 posts
4363 upvotes
reddyflag wrote: Just curious if the buyer was able to PROVE his account was hacked or whether he might have changed his mind about buying and concocted a hacking story? Don't even know how one would prove that he's been hacked...other than maybe sending the seller a "today" pic of a drivers licence with a different address than the paypal confirmed address...or maybe Paypal noticed a bunch of unusual transactions?
I don't know, the story didn't sound so suspicious. They said they gained access to their PP and eBay accounts and changed the email addresses associated which is why it took them a few days to notice.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)