• May 16th, 2011 1:28 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
477 posts
31 upvotes

Paypal Third Party Verification

Hey hey everyone, Bought a pair of shoes off ebay that turned out to be quite obviously fake. In order to get a refund, paypal is now asking me for third party documentation confirming these are fake. Any ideas where I could go to get this? Would footlocker or other major retailers do something like this for me? thanks!
22 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2388 posts
348 upvotes
YUP123 wrote: Hey hey everyone, Bought a pair of shoes off ebay that turned out to be quite obviously fake. In order to get a refund, paypal is now asking me for third party documentation confirming these are fake. Any ideas where I could go to get this? Would footlocker or other major retailers do something like this for me? thanks!

If you buy from them, I'll bet they'd be more than happy!
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
How do you know they are fake? If you can provide visible evidence (i.e. pictures) that show specific evidence that they are fake, they should accept that. Proof is proof. 3rd party documentation should only be required if it's close enough that only a professional would be able to tell.

That being said, I'm not eBay and really have no idea what they will accept or not.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2388 posts
348 upvotes
TotallyKiller wrote: How do you know they are fake? If you can provide visible evidence (i.e. pictures) that show specific evidence that they are fake, they should accept that. Proof is proof.

Pictures probably only help in a small number of cases. For example if you buy a pair of Reebok's, and what you received says Rebook on it, then that's pretty obvious. But if it's down to material quality, which I'm assuming is the difference between the real thing and most fakes, a picture doesn't necessarily prove anything.
Mar 3, 2008
602 posts
261 upvotes
I think there are sites that show how to spot fakes, so you can site the source as well as take a picture of the fake one and obtain a picture of what a real one should look like.

What indicates that they are fake?
Think much, speak little, write less.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
477 posts
31 upvotes
I submitted 8 photos of various mistakes on the shoes, wasn't enough. So I included some comparison shots of real vs fake ones I got, not enough. Submitted a detailed description of each photo explaining why it was indeed imitation product STILL they want more. So I called them and this is what they said I need, just have no idea where to get these Jordans "verified"
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
477 posts
31 upvotes
GSRee wrote: Pictures probably only help in a small number of cases. For example if you buy a pair of Reebok's, and what you received says Rebook on it, then that's pretty obvious. But if it's down to material quality, which I'm assuming is the difference between the real thing and most fakes, a picture doesn't necessarily prove anything.

Oddly enough there is a spelling mistake on the box, it is supposed to say : "Tinker made them shine" but it says "Tiker made them shine" still not enough proof for these freakin idiots at paypal...buyer protection my foot!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
1511 posts
35 upvotes
Did the seller offer a refund? Usually the fake ones do to avoid bad feedback.

You can try for a credit card charge back if all else fails.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6380 posts
1055 upvotes
TotallyKiller wrote: If you can provide visible evidence (i.e. pictures) that show specific evidence that they are fake, they should accept that. Proof is proof. 3rd party documentation should only be required if it's close enough that only a professional would be able to tell.

NO.
Paypal will generally no longer accept any "proof" from the buyer that an item is fake. They are taking a hard line on this now and demanding that you get a 3rd party expert to confirm in writing that the item is fake. This is pretty much impossible to get since domestic retailers are not going to help you (you didn't buy from them after all) and any expertise you can otherwise find will charge you a lot of money if you could even find someone.

It's all about money. If Paypal simply takes your word that an item is fake they have to order the seller to refund at which point the seller (who always keeps his account at zero balance) will simply abandon his account and walk away (and start up a new account under a different name at a later date) sticking Paypal with the loss - they now have to compensate you. By demanding third party verification which Paypal knows you probably can't or won't be bothered getting, puts the onus on you and allows Paypal to avoid any payout whatsoever. This is in line with the unofficial Paypal motto: "Sux to be you!".

With the huge number of fakes on eBay I'm guessing that Paypal's losses from covering complaints has gotten to be significant. The 3rd party verification is an obstacle they've thrown in buyers paths to save themselves money. And I'll bet it's saving them a lot of money.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12279 posts
3547 upvotes
GTA
Is it possible to do a FAKE verification ???

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 10, 2006
275 posts
33 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: Is it possible to do a FAKE verification ???

If PayPal disputes the validity of your verification, you are entitled to ask them for 3rd party documentation.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
477 posts
31 upvotes
tlamm wrote: Did the seller offer a refund? Usually the fake ones do to avoid bad feedback.

You can try for a credit card charge back if all else fails.

I messaged the seller and he simply stated "I said no refunds on my listing", buddy you also stated that these were authentic shoes! He's got good feedback too so I'm not sure why but he doesn't seem to mind. How could I process a chargeback? Tell Visa I got scammed or? thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1723 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
Third party verification is crap. I bought a MAC brush that turned out to be fake (and broken in half btw, but paypal only cared about the fake part) and after going to 3 different MAC stores I finally got a MAC SA to verify on MAC stationary that the item was in fact fake, and paypal said that wasn't good enough.

So I really don't know what they want > :( there is nothing else I could have done. Did i mention the item was broken in half?!

Sorry OP, you may be SOL with paypal :cry:
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12279 posts
3547 upvotes
GTA
OP, you may just have to suck it up and give that bastard the worst neg ever. You could also try contacting Nike and making them aware of a someone selling knock-offs.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6380 posts
1055 upvotes
The brand name companies are well aware of the knock offs being sold on eBay. They have launched a number of law suits against eBay which has not been very co-operative. The problem is that eBay wants the brand name companies to identify specific auctions to be taken down. Now you figure out how much a big name law firm is going to charge it's client on an hourly basis to work with them and go through eBay auctions identifying fakes and then sending registered letter to eBay demanding that they be taken down. The cost is significant and the brand name companies are faced with the decision on whether or not to spend all that money taking down a bunch of auctions from small time sellers who will just re-list them at a later date or maybe under another ID or sell them through another method. Like pulling up weeds on your lawn, how much time and money do you want spend on it?

eBay makes a lot of money off all the fakes (and there really are a lot of them across all the categories) and since buyers are generally extremely happy with the fakes that they buy there is no incentive whatsoever for eBay to be aggressive in dealing with fakes. Quite the opposite.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10816 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto
Send him an actual letter with pics of yours vs real and threaten to report his address and all that unless you get your money back (do it anyways)

OP how much did you pay for the fakes and how much are the real ones....
YUP123 wrote: Hey hey everyone, Bought a pair of shoes off ebay that turned out to be quite obviously fake. In order to get a refund, paypal is now asking me for third party documentation confirming these are fake. Any ideas where I could go to get this? Would footlocker or other major retailers do something like this for me? thanks!
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
477 posts
31 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Send him an actual letter with pics of yours vs real and threaten to report his address and all that unless you get your money back (do it anyways)

OP how much did you pay for the fakes and how much are the real ones....

Not a bad idea! I'm going to wait for the next update from Paypal and then I think I'll do that! Paid $250, real ones generally go for $250-300 (shoe isn't in production anymore)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12279 posts
3547 upvotes
GTA
woof wrote: The brand name companies are well aware of the knock offs being sold on eBay. They have launched a number of law suits against eBay which has not been very co-operative. The problem is that eBay wants the brand name companies to identify specific auctions to be taken down. Now you figure out how much a big name law firm is going to charge it's client on an hourly basis to work with them and go through eBay auctions identifying fakes and then sending registered letter to eBay demanding that they be taken down. The cost is significant and the brand name companies are faced with the decision on whether or not to spend all that money taking down a bunch of auctions from small time sellers who will just re-list them at a later date or maybe under another ID or sell them through another method. Like pulling up weeds on your lawn, how much time and money do you want spend on it?

eBay makes a lot of money off all the fakes (and there really are a lot of them across all the categories) and since buyers are generally extremely happy with the fakes that they buy there is no incentive whatsoever for eBay to be aggressive in dealing with fakes. Quite the opposite.
They should all gang up on eFake and do a class action suit. Fockers.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1552 posts
354 upvotes
Woodbridge
Go to the Nike Canada website, and find the link to sending in a pair of defective shoes: http://nikecacs.custhelp.com/app/answer ... -guarantee (call the 1 800 number). Once you do so, go and make up some excuses about your shoe being defective, eg cushion doesn't feel right. Then send it to Nike. Nike will obviously determine it to be fake. They should send you some sort of response saying it's not defective, rather it is not a genuine Nike product. I'm not quite sure of the procedure with Nike, but there might be a chance that they destroy the fakes instead of returning it to you.

Based on your description of the typo, you must have bought the Space Jams or Cool Greys. Do you mind PMing me the seller's name?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6380 posts
1055 upvotes
Good suggestion but Nike will almost certainly not return fakes to you. The response that they send you may or may not be suitable for what you need and may or may not be accepted by PayPal in any event. So there is a risk that you could lose your $250.