• May 16th, 2011 1:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10705 posts
1863 upvotes
Toronto
Send him an actual letter with pics of yours vs real and threaten to report his address and all that unless you get your money back (do it anyways)

OP how much did you pay for the fakes and how much are the real ones....
YUP123 wrote: Hey hey everyone, Bought a pair of shoes off ebay that turned out to be quite obviously fake. In order to get a refund, paypal is now asking me for third party documentation confirming these are fake. Any ideas where I could go to get this? Would footlocker or other major retailers do something like this for me? thanks!
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
475 posts
31 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Send him an actual letter with pics of yours vs real and threaten to report his address and all that unless you get your money back (do it anyways)

OP how much did you pay for the fakes and how much are the real ones....

Not a bad idea! I'm going to wait for the next update from Paypal and then I think I'll do that! Paid $250, real ones generally go for $250-300 (shoe isn't in production anymore)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12165 posts
3470 upvotes
GTA
woof wrote: The brand name companies are well aware of the knock offs being sold on eBay. They have launched a number of law suits against eBay which has not been very co-operative. The problem is that eBay wants the brand name companies to identify specific auctions to be taken down. Now you figure out how much a big name law firm is going to charge it's client on an hourly basis to work with them and go through eBay auctions identifying fakes and then sending registered letter to eBay demanding that they be taken down. The cost is significant and the brand name companies are faced with the decision on whether or not to spend all that money taking down a bunch of auctions from small time sellers who will just re-list them at a later date or maybe under another ID or sell them through another method. Like pulling up weeds on your lawn, how much time and money do you want spend on it?

eBay makes a lot of money off all the fakes (and there really are a lot of them across all the categories) and since buyers are generally extremely happy with the fakes that they buy there is no incentive whatsoever for eBay to be aggressive in dealing with fakes. Quite the opposite.
They should all gang up on eFake and do a class action suit. Fockers.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1530 posts
301 upvotes
Woodbridge
Go to the Nike Canada website, and find the link to sending in a pair of defective shoes: http://nikecacs.custhelp.com/app/answer ... -guarantee (call the 1 800 number). Once you do so, go and make up some excuses about your shoe being defective, eg cushion doesn't feel right. Then send it to Nike. Nike will obviously determine it to be fake. They should send you some sort of response saying it's not defective, rather it is not a genuine Nike product. I'm not quite sure of the procedure with Nike, but there might be a chance that they destroy the fakes instead of returning it to you.

Based on your description of the typo, you must have bought the Space Jams or Cool Greys. Do you mind PMing me the seller's name?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6350 posts
1018 upvotes
Good suggestion but Nike will almost certainly not return fakes to you. The response that they send you may or may not be suitable for what you need and may or may not be accepted by PayPal in any event. So there is a risk that you could lose your $250.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10816 posts
1348 upvotes
Edmonton
Is it possible to do a FAKE verification ???
frustrated inc. wrote: If PayPal disputes the validity of your verification, you are entitled to ask them for 3rd party documentation.

Absolute genius.

Seriously, this is a hard lesson learned. Do a chargeback on your credit card. Ebay and paypal will draw this out until you can't.

Don't ever buy on Ebay again. And don't ever use Paypal again. Once they screw over enough people and lose their customer base, they will change or go bankrupt...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6350 posts
1018 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote: Don't ever buy on Ebay again. And don't ever use Paypal again. Once they screw over enough people and lose their customer base, they will change or go bankrupt...
Silly advice along the lines of "if your nose itches then cut it off".

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with eBay as long as you understand the rules and recognize that there are a lot of fakes being sold on eBay. eg Avoid/watch out for major name brand running shoes, designer clothing and accessories, name brand flash drives and other electronics accessories, paintings and other art and antiques etc. Anything popular and in high demand is liable to attract the scammers.

I buy a lot of small low dollar items on eBay - items that simply aren't available in my local area or are way too expensive locally. I am rarely ever disappointed and if I am my dollar risk is very low. I have never bought a high dollar ( >$100) item on eBay and probably never will.

As far as eBay goes, their listings and sales numbers are greater than ever, and although the novelty has fallen off a bit, bankruptcy is simply not in their future. Problem transactions like this one may be a nightmare for the buyer affected but that is only a very small percentage of the overall transactions happening.
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
77 upvotes
GTA
one thing you can do is file a mail fraud case with whatever post office he went through.... CP / USPS. that will at least nail him for shipping counterfeit items through their system. also give him an extremely bad feedback.... since ebay changed their rules and what have you it's very hard for him to have it removed from his account and thus will cause him to lose a lot of potential bidders on any more of his stuff.

second of all, don't waste your time with paypal and ebay with their hoops you have to jump through... they do that to waste your time and let the validity of your claim run out then they send you a generated email saying they found nothing wrong with your claim and therefore things stand. i know this first hand as i just dealt with a scammer on there (sudbury) and they are currently being charged by the RCMP for fraud.

if you paid through credit card do a charge back as most CC companies now have protection for things like this. and you will get quicker results over dealing with a scamming company itself like ebay and paypal.

you can demand that 3rd party form from paypal, but they will still decline it's validity. trust me... they have these things in place to stall having to return your money especially in high value cases. if it was $50 and under you would have gotten your money back.... anything higher and you get this BS.