• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2020 6:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1757 posts
293 upvotes

Payroll remittance error correction

I paid following remittance already for March ( numbers below are just examples)
Pay period- March 2020
Gross payroll amount- 6000
no of employees- 1
remittance - 1300

I have now paid one more employee for march and still the April 15 due date is not past so want to pay the employe’s remittance
salary paid 1000 remittance is 50 dollars

so when I pay this remittance should i put following in the online form that I will fill?
Pay period- March 2020
Gross payroll amount- 7000 ( will this be 1000 or 7000)
no of employees- 2
remittance - 50

when the next month onwards when I remit , should i add gross amount of both employees and also add remittance of both employees . is that correct?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4568 posts
4620 upvotes
Vancouver
CocoJambo wrote: I paid following remittance already for March ( numbers below are just examples)
Pay period- March 2020
Gross payroll amount- 6000
no of employees- 1
remittance - 1300

I have now paid one more employee for march and still the April 15 due date is not past so want to pay the employe’s remittance
salary paid 1000 remittance is 50 dollars

so when I pay this remittance should i put following in the online form that I will fill?
Pay period- March 2020
Gross payroll amount- 7000 ( will this be 1000 or 7000)
no of employees- 2
remittance - 50

when the next month onwards when I remit , should i add gross amount of both employees and also add remittance of both employees . is that correct?
The period the pay is for is internal to the company as far as the CRA is concerned. They only care when you actually paid the employee. For example if you owed the employee wages for December, but you actually paid them in January, you would have to charge the payroll tax rate + EI + CPP for the year beginning in January, not the year ending in December. They ask for the pay period to check whether there are any gaps you need to explain, like you issued pay for Jan-Oct + Dec, they will ask what happened to the remittance for Nov unless you file a "no payroll" report for Nov.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1757 posts
293 upvotes
Ok but in case I want to change March remittance before April 15, is my calc above correct? Is this how will I do it?
Is there any issues paying now and remitting before April 15 and linking that to March remmitance.
It is same financial year so it will all tie up at the end of year.
Oct 20, 2012
82 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You can just make an additional payment and again select the March 2020 period in the drop down, for instance using CRA My Payment. There's no "change" needed, there's no return involved in payroll deductions, you're just putting money in an account.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1757 posts
293 upvotes
eggsbenedict wrote: You can just make an additional payment and again select the March 2020 period in the drop down, for instance using CRA My Payment. There's no "change" needed, there's no return involved in payroll deductions, you're just putting money in an account.
ok thank you. so in the field where it asks gross payroll in my example above will I put 1000 ( for new employe) or 7000 ( cumulative of previous emploee gross and this one ).. Not I have already remitted $1300 for the gross $6000 for first employee
I am sure that in the amount to be remitted field I will put $50
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4704 posts
1386 upvotes
0 downvotes
Hello OP your explanation and example are very confusing, what was the mistake? are you a new payroll user? if so, your payroll should be monthly, you should have a record of how much you paid your employees and how much your remittance deduction should be. if the next month you have 2 employees, you have to just put the gross and deduction sum of ALL employees. your gross really does not have to be 100% correct but the amount you remit must, but did u over remit or under remit the first month? if you know exactly how much your mistkae was and HOW this mistake happened? then you can easily correct it in the next remittance amount by adding or subtracting that but remember, your monthly books wont match your monthly cra remittance but the yearly amount should balance it self out at the end and should match. This happened to me and it was an easy fix.
Hi