• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2020 9:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 3, 2017
435 posts
417 upvotes

Payroll softwatre

Is there a low cost option for payroll software out there somewhere? I used to use payroll Evolution but ran into some issues and don't want to use them again. Just looking for something to auto calculate taxes and remittances and generate T4 forms. I'm currently using Quickbooks which is costing me about $38 month for 4 employees because I have to subscribe to Quick books and then their payroll add on.

I wasn't sure if that price is reasonable for what I am doing or is there alternatives? I also only operate 7 months of the year and 2 of those months I only have 1-2 staff instead of 4

Thank You
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7563 posts
8142 upvotes
Vancouver
I think you are referring to Payment Evolution? They do offer a useful free service, but there are some limitations. In an attempt to move free clients to monthly subscriptions, they have taken steps such as limiting support to free clients - they won't even answer questions now. And when the requirement came up recently to adjust tax remittance for the government's 10% TWS wage subsidy program, they denied that option to free clients.

If your needs are really simple, why don't you just use the CRA's own payroll tax calculator and do your own online remittance?
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... lator.html
Last edited by Scote64 on Jul 29th, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9200 posts
5050 upvotes
You could look into ADP or Ceridian. The cost per employee for these services is usually pretty low and they do all the T4's and year end reports for you for pretty inexpensive.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7563 posts
8142 upvotes
Vancouver
choclover wrote: You could look into ADP or Ceridian. The cost per employee for these services is usually pretty low and they do all the T4's and year end reports for you for pretty inexpensive.
No, their cost is not low. They are the most expensive option in Canada, and they are oriented to serving large corporate clients. We used ADP for years before switching to Payment Evolution, and we explored all the options including Ceridian at the time we switched.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1445 posts
738 upvotes
Vancouver
$38/month is pretty reasonable, especially since it includes Quickbooks as well. Doubt you can find anything cheaper. Otherwise like Scote64 said, just calculate it and do it yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6724 posts
4294 upvotes
Toronto
You can do it yourself for free. I am sure quick book allows printing of manual payroll checks and you can use the government payroll calculator site. Year end T4 can be printed off manually from CRA site and reporting it at same time. And don't forget to pay your monthly/quarterly remittance.
Sep 24, 2003
119 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
Have a look at wagepoint. Its $20 base fee plus $2 per employee.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)