Credit Cards

Paytm: Pay House Bills with any MC, no referrals in thread, no pay CC with CC - Officially USELESS?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2022 11:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
When PayTM flips the switch and restores the fees, I'll likely go back to my CT MC to pay my property taxes...I have enough volume on the card that it earns 1.5% cash back. Unless I need to fulfill an Amex spending requirement, then I'll use PayTM or Plastiq, depending on the card product. Amex Biz Gold card can designate Plastiq as a 2x merchant, so that would soften the blow...except, I already have a gazillion points. The incremental difference is so tiny I can't get motivated to figure out which way is better. I'll let the wind decide which direction I'll go.
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2012
1145 posts
544 upvotes
When I try to launch paytm, I’m getting the following msg: "something went wrong number has already been taken"

When I click on resend the code, I won’t get another code.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1922 posts
1195 upvotes
Calgary
Just a heads up. PAYMENOW will give you $15 instead of $10 now.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
ibuddler wrote: Just a heads up. PAYMENOW will give you $15 instead of $10 now.
This is for accounts that haven't use ADELAIDE?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: First payment using bank account only, and has to be at least $10.
So if you have a bill over $10 and use a bank account payment then you get $15 credit?

I also just did my first CC payment for my property taxes(city of coquitlam), did the transaction on June 18th(sunday) and looked on June 19th(Monday) and I do see the payment is in my account now, though it has a note of "In Progress" so I will monitor it bit more but my balance is showing 0 so that is a good sign.

Good service will keep using but once they start to charge I probably won't use anymore as if the "fee" that was listed is the correct fee they will charge then it won't make sense to use(would get back like $21 dollars but fee was $23)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2779 posts
1134 upvotes
Winnipeg
angel_wing0 wrote: First payment using bank account only, and has to be at least $10.
this deal is not for regulars on RFD. only for virgins...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
angel_wing0 wrote: Just like how you link a CC in the app.
I assume that means using your debit card number? In that case, does that mean you can't choose which account linked to the debit card to draw the money from? Will it always draw from the chequing account?
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
Jon Lai wrote: I assume that means using your debit card number? In that case, does that mean you can't choose which account linked to the debit card to draw the money from? Will it always draw from the chequing account?
You have to login to your bank's online banking through the paytm app, and then you choose the account to link.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: You have to login to your bank's online banking through the paytm app, and then you choose the account to link.
This is no riskier than using CC to pay?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1922 posts
1195 upvotes
Calgary
Jon Lai wrote: I assume that means using your debit card number? In that case, does that mean you can't choose which account linked to the debit card to draw the money from? Will it always draw from the chequing account?
You can always choose which account you want your payment from. My default one is my credit card.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
angel_wing0 wrote: You have to login to your bank's online banking through the paytm app, and then you choose the account to link.
So once you put in your debit card number, it actually logs into your bank account website online?
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote: This is no riskier than using CC to pay?
It takes 2-3 days for paytm to process your first payment to confirm that the bank account is actually yours, according to them. And also, the bank account i paid from has almost no money :lol:

Got my $15 already:

Person thanked.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1922 posts
1195 upvotes
Calgary
alanbrenton wrote: This is no riskier than using CC to pay?
Not sure what do you mean by riskier. It's pretty much the same risk as you link your bank account to paypal if you are talking about general security risk. You can also remove your linked account after if you are not comfortable.

If you are talking about the payment receive or deadline risk, as far as I know Paytm says it will take about 2-3 business days. They won't withdraw your money from your bank account right way.
Last edited by ibuddler on Jun 20th, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
ibuddler wrote: Not sure what do you mean by riskier. It's pretty much the same risk as you link your bank account to paypal. You can also remove your linked account after if you are not comfortable.
Agreed, but well, the risk does exist because of what happened last time.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
ibuddler wrote: Not sure what do you mean by riskier. It's pretty much the same risk as you link your bank account to paypal. You can also remove your linked account after if you are not comfortable.
With paypal, don't we just add bank, transit number and account number? For this one, we sign into our online banking through PayTM. Sounds very similar to man in the middle attacks. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)